A Conversation for Ask h2g2

LessUsed Facts

Post 9821

Baron Grim

Similarly, the color orange was named after the fruit.

It entered English from Spanish 'naranja', from Arabic 'naranj', from Persian 'naranj', from Sanskrit 'naranga', which likely meant simply "orange tree" or 'fragrant tree'. The first 'n' may have been dropped due to the similar sound of "a norange" and "an orange".

On a side note, I've been told Glenmorangie rhymes with 'orange-y'.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9822

Cheerful Dragon

A norange -> an orange

It's a process called metanalysis. Other examples are napron, napricot and otch (we got the word 'oche' from Old French and changed 'an oche' to 'a notch'.)

LessUsed Facts

Post 9823

ITIWBS

...yup, just that its easier to make the glottal stop after a consonant than after a vowel...

LessUsed Facts

Post 9824

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

"A norange -> an orange

It's a process called metanalysis"

And is a really good thing to mention when the grammar pedants are getting to excited. smiley - evilgrin

LessUsed Facts

Post 9825

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

That explanation is a bit misleading, though, I think - the 'a/an' metanalysis business seems to have taken place in the Romance languages. 'Cause we got 'orange' from Middle French, if I read it right. 'une narange/une orange'.

It's still a fun phenomenon. smiley - smiley One way to tell it happened is to compare languages. In Germany, there's a snake called a 'Natter'...

Btw, the Greeks name the fruit from the country. The word 'portokali' means 'orange' (and also 'Portuguese'). smiley - apple

LessUsed Facts

Post 9826

Cheerful Dragon

The 'natter' is definitely another one. A nadder became an adder.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9827

Baron Grim

Y'all might enjoy how the North American bird known as the turkey got named after the region formerly known as the Ottoman Empire.

http://blog.dictionary.com/turkey/

LessUsed Facts

Post 9828

Obviously these people never heard guinea fowl. Very noisy birds. smiley - winkeye

When I got to 'Dutch chicken', I cracked up. smiley - rofl

LessUsed Facts

Post 9829

Baron Grim

Me too. smiley - laugh

LessUsed Facts

Post 9830

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

There are over 10,000 Catholic saints. smiley - angel

LessUsed Facts

Post 9831

Baron Grim

I'm reminded of Robert Heinlein's description of saints getting on public transport in Heaven with their "halos the size of bath tubs". smiley - angelsmiley - laugh

LessUsed Facts

Post 9832

Baron Grim

From E. Vibenstein's twitter feed.

Gary Numan is 13 days older than Gary Oldman.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9833

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Every dog that played Lassie was male, due to male collies having a "better, fuller coat."

smiley - pirate

LessUsed Facts

Post 9834

Baron Grim

Mel Brooks' _Blazing Saddles_ premiered at a Burbank drive-in theater. Horses and their riders got in free.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/2243/photos/26690

LessUsed Facts

Post 9835

Cheerful Dragon

Who cleaned up after the horses left?

LessUsed Facts

Post 9836

Never mind that - where did they attach the speaker?

LessUsed Facts

Post 9837

You can call me TC

I went to look something up on dictionary.com and got waylaid by the "strange words of the day" section. There I learned that:

The word "dot" (yes, as in dot com) originates from the Latin "tutta" meaning nipple.

(Now I just have to remember what it was I went to look up in the first place.)

LessUsed Facts

Post 9838

Baron Grim

Serendipitous. smiley - biggrin

LessUsed Facts

Post 9839

Baron Grim

Despite being played 39 million times on YouTube, Rick Astley has only earned $12 for _Never Gonna Give You Up_.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9840

Baron Grim

Here's one for classic anime fans:

The Tokyo Olympics will be held in 2020, corresponding with the events in the 1988 anime film Akira, which took place in 2019 leading up to the fictional 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Key: Complain about this post