A Conversation for Ask h2g2

LessUsed Facts

Post 9721

swl

Dr Schrodinger's house in Vienna was fitted with a catflap.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9722

Rod

Ah, interesting. Was it ever seen to work?

(Isaac Newton's did ... apparently)

LessUsed Facts

Post 9723

Cheerful Dragon

The cat flap indicated that the house may or may not contain a cat. The health of the cat, if one existed, was also undetermined.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9724

Baron Grim

There is a possibly apocryphal story about Isaac Newton's cat doors. He purportedly built two, one for his adult cat and a smaller one for her kittens. Some say he never kept pets in his chambers, but one of Newton's contemporaries familiar within his social circles, a J.M.F. Wright, says he did, but adds, "Whether this account be true or false, indisputably true is it that there are in the door to this day two plugged holes of the proper dimensions for the respective egresses of cat and kitten."

LessUsed Facts

Post 9725

Vestboy

While on holiday in Spain last year we came across a toy shop (in Seville?) which had two doors. One normal sized for the funders and a diminutive one for the testers and users.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9726

Vestboy

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/455567318529018610/

LessUsed Facts

Post 9727

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Here's one for GRIM.
It starts out Grim and gets grimmer.

>> Grim news for the Arctic's top land predator. Researchers in Canada and the U.S. found polar bear numbers in the southern Beaufort sea declined by as much as 40 per cent in the first decade of the 21st Century. <<

(from the weather network)
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/poll/result/beaufort-sea-polar-bear-numbers-declined-by-what-percent-in-the-first-decade-of-the-21st-century/40178/

smiley - ponysmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - footprints

smiley - zen
~jwf~

LessUsed Facts

Post 9728

Baron Grim

I don't want it.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9729

Baron Grim

From 1781 to 1850, the planet we now know as Uranus was officially known as George (in honor of George III).

Here are a few facts gathered from signs promoting Vancouver's Science World museum.

You grow 120 feet of hair each day.

You fart a balloon's volume of gas each day.

You swallow a litre of snot each day.

For more: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/08/the-amazing-ads-of-science-world/

Warning, some may be apocryphal, useful, or both.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9730

Pink Paisley

Hmmm.

I really don't believe that I have the capacity to grow 120 feet of hair every day.

What sized balloon?

http://www2.ucar.edu/sites/default/files/news/2010/pg16.jpg

?

PP.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9731

You can call me TC

I don't believe the snot one. smiley - snork

Transparent mucus or saliva maybe....

LessUsed Facts

Post 9732

Baron Grim

The balloon pictured in the link I provided is rather small. The reported average flatus/day is only about 0.5 litres. The reported amount of mucus is 1 - 1.5 litres/day. It's usually listed as mucus produced, but unless you're a habitual spitter smiley - drool, it's gotta go somewhere so it's probably swallowed.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9733

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

Unless it is added to a pizza as extra mozarella. Copyright 'Not the Nine O'clock News' (ask your parents)

LessUsed Facts

Post 9734

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I want Uranus to be renamed George. This will make up for losing Pluto. smiley - run

LessUsed Facts

Post 9735

Baron Grim

I want dwarf planet Sedna to be renamed Rupert... for reasons. smiley - towel

LessUsed Facts

Post 9736

Vestboy

Are there any planets named Vestboy? Surely with such a huge number of them...

LessUsed Facts

Post 9737

Baron Grim

Possibly apocryphal:

On Disney Cruises, there is a standing protocol that if the ship needs to be evacuated at sea, two Disney employees will board the first life boat (before women and children) and they will have Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck costumes. This is so that if/when children reach safety they can be greeted by Mickey and Donald and assure them that they did not go down with the ship.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9738

Vestboy

Note to self: Remember to pack a Mickey Mouse costume if ever travelling on a Disney ship.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9739

Baron Grim

Notice that Minnie and Daisy are abandoned at sea.

#EverdaySexism

LessUsed Facts

Post 9740

Vestboy

smiley - yikes Where?

Key: Complain about this post