Useless Facts

Post 9541

Rod

worked - or whored?

Useless Facts

Post 9542

Baron Grim

smiley - rofl

Woops! I don't know the nature of DNA's worK at that office, so I'll blame it on typing on my mobile.

Useless Facts

Post 9543

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Interesting Baron, that seems to leave us with two possibilities. I have not watched the film closely enough to have an opinion either way.

1) Although the game included was played in July, they may have just used it as a convenient background location, and did not intend it to actually place the date of the story.

or

2) Ferris was attending 'Summer School'. Students who fail to get high enough grades (marks?) to pass into the next grade are often required to attend extra classes while most of their friends are on vacation. This could also explain why he felt he deserved a 'Day Off'

Just a thoughtsmiley - shrug

F smiley - dolphin S

Useless Facts

Post 9544

Baron Grim

The follow up article (link neaf the bottom) clears up that they filmed at a September game.

As to semester's end, the more I think about it, it's still Spring semester. Remember, he had NINE unexcused absences. "Nine times." I just can't quite remember when finals week is as in college I graduated in early May, but high schools graduate around a month later.

Useless Facts

Post 9545

swl

Ferris Bueller and the Breakfast Club were filmed at the same school a year apart. In some scenes you see the same wall posters.

Useless Facts

Post 9546

ITIWBS

The paratrooper's cry of "Geronimo" actually originated with Geronimo himself, whom, coming to a cliff with the US Cavalry in hot pursuit, shouting his name so the cavalry men chasing him would know who he was, lept his horse from the cliff and rode away.

useless facts

Post 9547

U14993989

Alligators and crocodiles can shift their lungs around as well as their liver in to help them manoeuvre in the water while "stalking" prey.

useless facts

Post 9548

Pink Paisley

Slugs actually taste of raspberries when eaten live and raw.

PP.

useless facts

Post 9549

Pink Paisley

Dang.

Wrong thread.

PP.

useless facts

Post 9550

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

It is physically impossible for raspberry flavoured slugs to vomit underwater.

useless facts

Post 9551

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

If you shift human lungs around too much, the person dies.

useless facts

Post 9552

Cheerful Dragon

Morton Stanley Park in Redditch has nothing to do with Henry Morton Stanley who searched for Dr. Livingstone. The Redditch Morton Stanley was a farmer who left his land for the residents to enjoy.

useless facts

Post 9553

ITIWBS

Garden slugs vector the chlamydia pneumonia bacterium that causes atherosclerosis.

useless facts

Post 9554

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

*Invents space-time teleportation device and transports all water into the sun.*

Ha! Now it's physically impossible for ANYTHING to vomit underwater! So there's no need to point it out. smiley - tongueincheek

And in only a few days, no one will still be around to care.... smiley - evilgrin

smiley - pirate

Inutile data

Post 9555

Baron Grim

Some sloth trivia:

Typically sloths relieve themselves only once every month at which point they may lose up to 1/3rd of their body weight.

Toe toed sloths have three toes. (They have only two fingers. This confusion likely was the result of a translation error as the Spanish "dedos" (digit) doesn't differentiate between fingers and toes.)

More here: http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/happy-sloth-week-heres-ten-facts-about-sloths

usedless facts

Post 9556

Cheerful Dragon

Mankind shares about 65 diseases with dogs, 50 with cattle, 46 with sheep/goats, 42 (the magic number) with pigs, 35 with horses and 26 with poultry.

So it looks like the Great Question of Life, the Universe and Everything is 'How many diseases are common to humans and pigs?' Not something that's going to change anybody's outlook on life.smiley - erm

usedless facts

Post 9557

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes
>> Mankind shares... diseases with dogs, etc. <<

I have recently been considering the old saw "whatever
doesn't kill you makes you stronger" in light of long
term evolutionary factors and have come to the conclusion
that microbial beings are the grand designers on our planet.

The most recent example of massive lethal infection was the
Black Death, the Plagues, of the 15th and 17th centuries after
which mankind entered a new Renaissance and the Industrial Rev
that made the survivors stronger, smarter and more successful
in the propagation of our species.

Which makes me wonder what the new superbugs have in mind for us.

smiley - magic
~jwf~

usedless facts

Post 9558

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Sorry forgot what thread this was.
I will try to restrict my useless speculations
and stick to useless facts.

smiley - ok
~jwf~

usedless facts

Post 9559

ITIWBS

In passing, the black death at its worst, introduced into Europe and China from central Asia where it originated, along the Silk Road, produced only 75% mortality in the first generation and 25% in the second, highly Mendelian statistics.

The old world zoo of infectious and contagious disease organisms introduced into the new world and Polynesia produced 90% mortality, which shows what only 12,000 years or so of evolutionary isolation can do.

usedless facts

Post 9560

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Also, while not as bad as the Black Plague, the Spanish Flu Epidemic was far more recent. Further, the Plague was mostly isolated to Europe, whereas the Spanish Flu was worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu_epidemic

"after which mankind entered a new Renaissance and the Industrial Rev that made the survivors stronger, smarter and more successful in the propagation of our species."

And, see, again, the Renaissance was primarily European.

smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post