A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 13621

Sho / Flo - what's the difference?

FS I'm guessing that the book you ordered was either second hand or from a small supplier with limited quantites available. It could be (because it's happened to me with much much cheaper second hand books) that two orders were received at the same time and only one was sent.

Possibly at the time your one was being picked from the warehouse the problem was noticed, and therefore you got your money credited back (pretty quickly it seems)

As for protecting you from third party vendors. Yes, it is partly to protect Amazon's fee (which they get because they host the 3rd party vendor's shop - there's no reason why they shouldn't get a fee for that, they are a business after all)

You can usually contact the seller directly, because if you do write to them, and they reply, you can see their mail address and write back to them (not via "reply" unless you copy/paste the message into a new one).

I've done that a few times too. Often with cheap-ish articles the vendor can write them off (or claim insurance) without too many problems, and it's cheaper to let you keep it than for them to refund a lot of postage. smiley - smiley

(not that I'm a massive fan of Amazon's business practices but my experience of their customer service has been very very good. Excellent, even)

Petty Hates

Post 13622

Dr Anthea - Artist, Ninja, Potter..?

mu PH today.... zips placed in such a way as to make it very difficult if not impossible for the person wearing the garment to pull it all the way up/down themselves...

Petty Hates

Post 13623

You can call me TC (But now there's someone who'll be calling me Granny)

Those dresses in the fifties and sixties which had zips all the way up the back were like that, but what sort of clothes have them these days, Anthea?

Petty Hates

Post 13624

Dr Anthea - Artist, Ninja, Potter..?

I have two dresses one with a tiny zip you cant really grip properly that zips up the back
and one that has a zip under one arm so you can only clasp it with the other hand but the bust eh.. pushes the zip apart too much to get the zip up properly without pushing the fabric closed...

I should buy better clothes

Petty Hates

Post 13625

string through the end (unless it's an invisible zip) is your friend there (although the underarm zips are a pain in the bazooms)

Petty Hates

Post 13626

KB - he really is a groovy cat, he's a gentleman, a scholar and an acrobat!

Isn't it a bit hard to untie the string after you've done up the zip?

Petty Hates

Post 13627

You can call me TC (But now there's someone who'll be calling me Granny)

No - because then it's just at the back of your neck. If you were a good Girl Guide and know your knots, no problem at all.

Petty Hates

Post 13628

you don't tie it in a knot, you push it through and hold both loose ends smiley - smiley

Except for my pair of jeans where the zip persists in falling down, then I use a thick elastic band to attach it to the button

Key: Complain about this post