A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 15021

Sho - with added slapping hand

that is a good point, CD. That's where my gym is particularly good, we have a few disabled members, and they've had to be a bit creative with some things (there is no access to the upstairs facilities except via stairs - one of which is only for women, one which is a spiral staircase)

As to the women staircase: the owners are 3rd generation Turkish immigrants. After a few enquiries, and against their initial judgement, they have made a ladies only area which is accessible only from the ladies' changing room, because one of their mothers was moaning that their sister was getting a bit chubby (sigh). But she is shy, and wears a hijab and full length clothes. She wanted to use their gym rather than a competitor's place, but didn't want to use a gym that wasn't ladies only. So they made that compromise, and now there are several ladies who use the facility, not all of whom wear a hijab.

If they now get a request for a male only part, I'm guessing they'll try to accommodate it but I'm not sure how smiley - smiley

I was at my recently leanest/fittest when my car died on me and I had to cycle 5kms each way to the station so I could get to work. I could do that now but I'm just too darned lazy (plus i can read when I use the cross trainer which I can't when I'm out and about on my bike)

Petty Hates

Post 15022

Cheerful Dragon

Stairs can be an issue for me, but I can cope if it's only one flight. I like the idea of women only facilities for exercise, and it's good to hear about Muslim women going to a gym. I've read that exercise can be an issue for them because of their need to be modestly dressed at all times. Having said that, I read recently that House of Fraser in the UK have started stocking sportswear aimed at Muslim women, including hijabs. Some of the hijabs look quite funky.

Petty Hates

Post 15023

Cheerful Dragon

Oh, and regarding reading while exercising, I found that I can read while walking on a treadmill, but not while doing Freestep on my Wii-fit. Listening to music plays havoc with the rhythm of my steps, so I listen to an audiobook or other recording instead. Right now I'm working my way through the BBC Radio 4 production of This Sceptred Isle.

Petty Hates

Post 15024

Mr. Dreadful - Rainman?

PH: Anti-vaxxers. Especially the ones to a) blame autism on vaccines and b) treat autism as if it were some crippling condition that destroys lives.

smiley - grr

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more