A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 17981

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, I've signed a petition against the ticket office closures, too - I have on several occasions had to visit a ticket office for help to book the ticket I found (took them ages, too, but we got there together).

Ah, I can imagine it is tricky in Paris - similar with London. Luckily it is relatively easy for me to select the option to avoid London, as through-journeys use the Tube, but not all Tube stations are wheelchair accessible. Luckily the one time I did have to cross London (when I missed a train because assistance didn't arrive and the staff put me on a random train to make me someone else's problem) the staff in London were very helpful arranging a taxi (and didn't complain that my ticket said 'not via London').

Petty Hates

Post 17982

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I can imagine that is really annoying.

Petty Hates

Post 17983

Bluebottle

Is it just me, or are obituaries getting increasingly sycophantic and lack perspective? While I accept that when someone famous dies fans can feel a real sense of loss, and the deceased's achievements should be rightly lauded. But can we keep a sense of perspective and remember that famous people are human. Just tell me about the person who died, instead of making up some ridiculous myth that other celebrities are desperately trying to buy into that bares no resemblance to the person who passed away.
None of this 'the voice of a generation' or 'a once-in-a-lifetime talent' or 'changed the world forever' nonsense. If they did a lot of charity work or supported causes that were dear to their heart, then do certainly emphasise how they used their fame for good to help those charities gain additional support and encourage others.

I just want to know something like 'Bob was a highly successful singer who had 12 top ten hits between 1978-2014, best known for song 'La la la' which raised money and awareness for Good Cause Charity, which was supported by Bob throughout their life and career'.
I don't care about the pointless celebrity endorsements from people after publicity, 'Fred said Bob was such a saint their sweat turned to wine'.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 17984

Rum would be more likely. I get your point. People are just people even if they are famous people

Petty Hates

Post 17985

Teasswill

PH: Just heard (again) on the radio - 'very unique'. Unique surely cannot have any degrees of singularity?

Petty Hates

Post 17986

Bluebottle

Good point, I'm afraid I have conflicting opinions, as on the one hand I agree with you completely.

But on the other hand, if every person on smiley - earth is unique, then maybe some people are uniquely unique, and unique in a way that only applies to them?
So for instance:
1. Everyone is unique
2. There is only one ruling British monarch at a time (so during their lifetime a king or queen is unique, but there have been others in the past.)
3. Queen Elizabeth II is the only British monarch to have ruled for over 80 years.

So was the Queen uniquely unique, or exactly as unique as everyone else in the world?

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 17987

Teasswill

Well, some people might have only one quality that makes them unique, others lots. But they are still each unique.

One might be especially unusual & that is where IMO unique is often incorrectly used as a synonym.

Petty Hates

Post 17988

Teasswill

New PH: Doing up all the buttons on a shirt before realising they're out of sequence with the buttonholes..

Petty Hates

Post 17989

You can call me TC

I used to au pair for two little boys, 3 and 4 years old. The little one was chaos personified, but the older one would always line up the bottom of each side before starting to do up his buttons. I don't know if he'd been taught to do it, or if he was an intrinsically neat person. I bet to this day as a 50-something-year-old he has never known that problem!

Back to superfluous words. Why do we say "whether or not" when "whether" already means both?

Petty Hates

Post 17990

Now I have those Monty Python lines in my head:

Mob (in unison):'We are all individuals!'
Single guy:'No I'm not!'

I usually avoid the button issue by not wearing button shirts. If I do, I check like the neat boy.

PH: keys from my keyboard sometimes don't register, especially the 'r' and 't'. (I put the 'r' back in 'shirts' manually, just in time).

Petty Hates

Post 17991

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - laughsmiley - ok

I have one particular shirt that is funny - I carefully line up the bottom, but then one of the middle buttons hides, so when I get to the top the buttons are out of alignment smiley - laugh

Today's PH: Items in the supermarket that are slightly open, but not so much that I notice while in the shop.

After spilling the sauce from a ready meal in my shopping bag on two occasions, I now do a quick check of product lids, but even that is sometimes not enough... Last week, my shopping bag smelled suspiciously like sour milk, but the milk bottle was fine... I found the culprit today - the yoghurt had leaked... smiley - doh

Petty Hates

Post 17992

Teasswill

Well we're either a happy bunch these days, or just not dropping by.

PH today - having to plan so far ahead for a theatre outing (if you want good seats). Just booked for July & not a lot of good options left. Given the price these days, I'm wondering who are all these people booking tickets?

Petty Hates

Post 17993

Baron Grim

If it's anything like it is here in the States, they're being bought by scalper companies' computers as soon as they go on sale, or even before they go on sale.

The largest venue company here, Live Nation, is a partner company of the larges ticket broker, TicketMaster, which also has several subsidiary companies that scalp their tickets for them.

Petty Hates

Post 17994

SashaQ - happysad

Shocking...

Funny that my previous PH was about open food packaging - it happened again recently. Luckily I spotted the milk bottle had opened when it was on the checkout conveyor belt, not after I put it in my bag, so a member of staff was able to get a new bottle. Then the following week I discovered a lid had opened on a ready meal - the pack said 'once opened, use within 24 hours' but I didn't notice until a couple of days later... I checked it and it looked fine, and it tasted fine after heating, so that was lucky.

Continued vigilance is required...

Petty Hates

Post 17995

The regular outages of this site. It is hard to post new chapters if you can't enter them in a new entry.

Petty Hates

Post 17996

SashaQ - happysad

Yes indeed... It was 'Oh no, not again' yesterday smiley - petunias

Glad it's back again today smiley - goodluck

Petty Hates

Post 17997

Yes, needed a lot of catching up to do.

Petty Hates

Post 17998

Baron Grim

And there goes another outage. They seem to be occurring about every third day lately.

Key: Complain about this post