A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 15701

Lusus

I just read a news item on the BBC website about employers having the right to read employees' emails. The journalist used the phrase 'going forward':

"Going forward, he added, all employers should clearly explain any rules that would allow them to check on their workers' online activities."

To me this represents a dismal use of English by a BBC reporter. I just hope it was an intern rather than a seasoned journalist.

Petty Hates

Post 15702

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Personally I'd be more concerned about the flagrant invasion of privacy. smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 15703

Icy North

I'd describe it as a lazy cliche, but it is understandable at least.

Petty Hates

Post 15704

Deek

PH. Television newsreader's (mainly BBC) who conjoin the sentences of the last item they are reading with the next different one, without pausing. They neither pause nor draw breath between two completely unconnected items leaving the recipient to sort it out for themselves. Perhaps whoever wrote the autocue text forgot the full stop or maybe it's just a ploy to hold your interestEither way, it's getting b****y irritating.

...and another thing...

Petty Hates

Post 15705

Bluebottle

And now for something completely different:

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 15706

Icy North

My two broadcasting PHs are noddies (see A49254654) and newsreaders who can't read an autocue without shaking their head - watch Fiona Bruce reading BBC News and you'll see what I mean.

Petty Hates

Post 15707

Baron Grim

PH - Being alerted to an annoyance I was blithely ignorant of previously and now can't not notice.

I now hear every "going forward". I never previously noticed them.

Petty Hates

Post 15708

Bluebottle

I find excessive head movements when singing really annoying. Just sing the song, don't try to dislocate your neck in violent spasms as you twist your head from side to side.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 15709

Baron Grim

Then don't watch this. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ryce5

smiley - evilgrin

Petty Hates

Post 15710

Teasswill

I was filmed as part of a patient information video - hated the way my head nodded at times. It was because the interviewer (not seen or heard on video) was nodding as I spoke & I found myself copying...

I hate seeing myself on film, but it is useful to try & correct such mannerisms.

Petty Hates

Post 15711

ITIWBS

The reason many performers keep a wall sized mirror where they rehearse,

Petty Hates

Post 15712

Teasswill

PH - Jet lag. After flaking out at 8.30 pm last night, got up at 6.30 am today resigned to no more sleep. Braved the cold (it's snowed in the night!) to put the heating on early. At least I've got an early load of washing on.

Petty Hates

Post 15713

Reality Manipulator

Dry skin is a particular bane of my life which effects my feet particularly when the weather is very cold. No matter how much cream I put on, it won't go away. The only remedy I find is to soak my feet in water until the skin becomes very soft, put moisturising cream and over it in plastic cling film for a few hours and then use a foot file to get the loose skin off and put my cream on but it does not last and a few days time, it will come back.

Petty Hates

Post 15714

ITIWBS

It strikes me, perhaps a use for thwt electrical crockpot I never use for anything any way, if I can fit my size ten feet into it, a long, warm, soak for my feet.

Petty Hates

Post 15715

Baron Grim

http://youtu.be/xlA9bNk3b5Q

Petty Hates

Post 15716

Sho - employed again!

when you arrive at work, you haven't yet removed your coat, hat, gloves, scarf etc, let alone fired up your computer - and one of your colleagues is asking you about an email you both received that morning about something that needs to be done in detail by the end of next week...
I really don't have to restrain the slapping hand for those people, do I? (I had 3 of them this morning...)

Petty Hates

Post 15717

You can call me TC

I thought you were the boss now. Just tell them to have some respect, let you get in and stand in an orderly queue - preferably with a cup of coffee for you.

Petty Hates

Post 15718

Sho - employed again!

haha - not quite the boss and I'm usually one of the first there so I make coffee quite often.
But it's just rude and stupid and annoys everyone smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 15719

hammondorgan

People whingeing about their petty problems at work and disturbing the hard-earned peace of we retirees, have some consideration won't you?

Petty Hates

Post 15720

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Most everybody left on h2g2 is over fifty. Soon you're all gonna' die of old age and I'll be left alone in a digital ghost town, with a forlorn wind blowing through the servers.

It's irritating. smiley - cross

smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post