Petty Hates

Post 15681

Bluebottle

smiley - huhWhy would washing lines be illegal?smiley - headhurts

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 15682

Icy North

'Damaging effect on the street scene', I guess.

Petty Hates

Post 15683

Baron Grim

They violated zoning laws and were considered an eyesore that would lower home values. When I read an article about a California woman fighting this law, adamantly refusing to take down her clothesline, I found it surprising as the typical image of California is a state at the lead of environmental ideals. That they would require homeowners to use energy wasting electric dryers seemed at odds with that image.

Petty Hates

Post 15684

Bluebottle

'Zoning laws'...?
Having dry clothes lowers property prices?
smiley - huhStill confused. Are these washing lines likely to be on the front lawn, or at the back of the house? I wouldn't dry clothes where they're potentially easily pinched by passers-by, but if a washing line is at the back of your house would anyone notice?

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 15685

Baron Grim

Here's an article from 2009.

http://www.latimes.com/style/la-hm-clothesline7-2009feb07-story.html

Petty Hates

Post 15686

Icy North

Interesting, so the troublemaker imported the custom from Surrey - it's one of the posher areas.

We probably have by-laws in much of the UK prohibiting hanging out washing at the front of your house, but just about everybody who has a back yard here has a rotary drier in it.

Petty Hates

Post 15687

Sho - employed again!

there are laws in Germany that forbid the hanging out of washing on a Sunday.

Petty Hates

Post 15688

Pink Paisley

Today's PH.

Someone famous dies. Other famous people and not so famous people get vox popped for hours on end. All saying the same thing. And it goes on all day with new people saying old stuff all day.

A good sized critique by Andy or Liz Kershaw, Stuart Maconie or Whispering Bob Harris would suffice. (Actually, Bob Harris got a look in around lunch time).

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 15689

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

"Why would washing lines be illegal?"

...I don't get it either, none of this makes any sense, there's too many pointless stupid "laws", how anyone can stand to have the government breathing down their necks over EVERYTHING and how there's enough of these nitpicky self-righteous people to get such overbearing "laws" passed in the first place is mindboggling...

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 15690

Sho - employed again!

sorry, PP, but in this case it was to be expected. Bowie, I think, more than any other modern musician made a MASSIVE difference to people's lives. Don't forget he's been going since the 60s.

I saw a few warnings this morning that people who can't hack it need to just do themselves a favour and stay off the internet for a day or two until it's all died down.

Petty Hates

Post 15691

ITIWBS

My own objections to clotheslines; exposed to blowing dust the laundry is soiled or stained, so if I use one, I use it indoors; clothines strung at eye or neck level can become serious safety hazards, especially if they sag.

Petty Hates

Post 15692

You can call me TC

The only problem I have is that the birds make a mess on the washing - especially in autumn when the elder berries are ripe. The Americans are probably just being prude and don't like looking at other people's knickers flapping in the breeze. To me, the sight of washing on lines is nostalgic and romantic, and the smell of bedlinen that has been outside to dry is insurpassable.

Petty Hates

Post 15693

Bluebottle

I've always lived in chalk and clay soil areas, so never had to worry about dust. It doesn't blow but sticks to your shoes when wet, and is very slippy to walk/run on in winter (which is another petty hate).

Can't help about the smiley - tit, though, but fortunately it isn't a big problem.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 15694

Teasswill

I've had trouble from birds for years with a washing line near our cherry tree. This year invested in a rotary drier which has proved very successful. I can also hide my knickers behind other stuff!

Petty Hates

Post 15695

Bluebottle

The Washing Line Hokey Cokey

smiley - musicalnoteYou put your undies on
smiley - musicalnoteYour socks on next
smiley - musicalnoteThen you put the kids clothes on followed by your vest.
smiley - musicalnoteYou put bigger and bigger items on as you work your way on out
smiley - musicalnoteThat's what it's all about

smiley - musicalnoteOh, drying on the rotary!
smiley - musicalnoteKnees bend, pick clothes up; peg! Peg! Peg!

So as you put the small items in the middle and the bigger items on the outside, so all people can see are your sheets and smiley - towel.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 15696

Baron Grim

smiley - applause

Petty Hates

Post 15697

Icy North

You have to hang smalls on the inside and sheets on the outside, as the sheets will only fit on the longer sections.

Petty Hates

Post 15698

Pink Paisley

I think making 'a 'massive' difference to people's lives' may be overstating it a bit.

And I don't argue that he has been a hugely popular modern figure, but the sycophantic mass of interviews by minor celebs wheeled out for no good reason when ANYBODY dies is my PH. Yes. It was to be expected.

(Please don't apply the slapping hand).

PP

Petty Hates

Post 15699

Sho - employed again!

I don't think it's overstating it. I've listened to my gay friends, some older than me, and my bi friends, and my little-bit-weird friends all talk about him over the years and the impact he had on their lives. And it's impressive.

Petty Hates

Post 15700

Sho - employed again!

but I wouldn't slap you for saying that PP smiley - kiss

Key: Complain about this post