A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 15241

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Yes Pastey, that's exactly what i was offered at my b+q. Which is fairly good timescale-wise (24hrs) I suppose, but are we getting to the stage in the evolution of retail that we need to shop in 2-stages? One to scout out/recky, if we're lucky enough to find the goods or choice we're after in-store, then more often than not, a 2nd stage of collecting or getting delivered what we want at a later date smiley - erm Not very time efficient is it smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 15242

Pastey

A bit like going to Argos and then being told to come back the following day to collect smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 15243

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

The problem is that people want ALL of the choices ALL of the time and a bricks & mortar shop would have to be stupidly large to not only keep everything on display but also keep it all in stock.

Really, the fault lies with the consumer.

Petty Hates

Post 15244

Bluebottle

PH: Placing two vending machines next to each other, and then putting up lots of signs proudly proclaiming it’s a cafe.
It’s not a café, it is two vending machines next to each other.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 15245

Milla, h2g2 Operations

PH: rain on my vacation. But only because I need to finish the painting and panelling of the shed. Other than that, I'm pretty happy to slouch around in pj's and do nothing much.
smiley - towel

Petty Hates

Post 15246

Pastey

Sorry Dread, but when you actually look at stores like B&Q, you see that they don't carry anywhere near as much of a range as they could. There's four or five display spaces given over to a single product, because the producer is paying for shelf space.

I agree a bricks and mortar store can't stock as much as the internet, but they can stock a lot more than they currently do.

Ranges have been reduced once the competition has been beaten out of town.

Petty Hates

Post 15247

Baron Grim

PH: Vehicular electrical issues. smiley - steam

It's just so damn hard to track down the actual source of electrical problems.

I've been having issues with my motorcycle battery draining if I don't ride it for longer than a couple of days. I've replaced the battery and rewired my GPS so that it's disconnected when the motorcycle isn't "ON". That was my best guess as that was the only thing I knew that was wired directly to the battery and not through the ignition switch. But I'd never had a problem with that before so maybe I should have looked elsewhere. So... where next? I could check my horn system. I installed a louder, aftermarket horn and since Memorial Day I've had some issues with the horn not working. We camped out that weekend when Texas received all that flooding. I've replaced a relay already. Maybe there is a short somewhere now.

I just dread even looking for the problem. It's all guess work, trial and error. Even if you find a possible source for the issue, you don't know if there might be multiple sources. And taking it in to the repair shop or dealership isn't really a great option as they hate tracing electrical problems as much as anyone and charge accordingly.

Petty Hates

Post 15248

Baron Grim

OK... after some research, I have a game plan now.

smiley - star Pull the ground terminal from the (fully recharged) battery.
smiley - star Connect my multi-meter between the terminal and the battery.
smiley - star Start pulling fuses until the parasitic current stops.
smiley - star Disconnect the things on that circuit one at a time.

This will narrow down my frustrating search quite a bit.

Petty Hates

Post 15249

Pastey

PH: All these stupid images that are using Minions with trite phrases.

Petty Hates

Post 15250

Baron Grim

Right!?

An acquaintance on BoofCake posted about 5 of those yesterday.

Petty Hates

Post 15251

Lusus

I don't understand the fascination people have with Minions either.

Good luck B.G with tracking down that electrical problem. it sounds the kind of job I'd keep putting off because I know how frustrating and involved it could be.

Petty Hates

Post 15252

Baron Grim

I can't put it off. If I don't fix it, I can't ride the motorcycle.

Of course, with triple digit temps expected starting today, maybe I don't really want to. smiley - wah

Petty Hates

Post 15253

ITIWBS

...brings back memories of my army years, taking vehicles into mechanics with electrical problems, following the mechanics through the process, beginning with them breaking out circuitry diagrams and looking them over for potential sources of the problem, narrowing the area to be tested down to the minimum necessary, then breaking out circuit testers...

Electricsl system diagrams not usually included in user's manual, usually available in mechanics manual from dealership or manufacturer.

Petty Hates

Post 15254

Baron Grim

I bought my Honda at a dealership I detest. They're centrally located in the fourth largest city in the US, Houston. This means they don't have to "try harder". I just happened to know a salesman who was not happy in his job and he made me a good deal, a great deal. They made $75 "profit" on my sale, but considering they had been paying around $100 per month for something like four years on this particular bike, they didn't make it back from me. The sales manager was quite surprised when I not only turned down any financing, but also refused any service plan. I did use one of their "service coupons" though. I bought the shop manual with it.

It has the wiring diagrams. smiley - ok

Petty Hates

Post 15255

hammondorgan

You know when you put a pint down on a beermat on a pub table, and the beermat sticks to the bottom of your glass when you lift it then falls on the floor? How annoying is that? It's only marginally worse than having a pint and there are no beermats provided! Wetherspoons are particular culprits, they never seem to provide beermats. Cheaper beer is much to be applauded of course but come on, I'm going to take my own from now on.

Petty Hates

Post 15256

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

PH: Not being able to diagnose the fault in an amplifier I'm trying to fix. Only remaining explanation is a short circuit. Can I find it? NOOOOOOO.

Petty Hates

Post 15257

Wand'rin star

I watched the CBeebies prom yesterday and saw the solution to my last petty hate (about all orchestra members being clad in inky black). Different sections of the orchestra wore different coloured T shirts: blue for the strings, pink for percussion etc. It was great funsmiley - starsmiley - star

Petty Hates

Post 15258

quotes

>>PH: Not being able to diagnose the fault in an amplifier I'm trying to fix.

I'm trying to fix an amp at the moment, too; such is the joy of vintage electronics. I'm pretty sure I know the component I need to replace, but since it will cost £20, require me to solder it in, and then might still not work, I'm thinking about upgrading instead.

Petty Hates

Post 15259

Bluebottle

PH - missing this year's CBeebies Prom.
I'll have to catch it on iPlayer. Last year's one with Robert the Robert hunting for that special sound, was great fun, and the kids still watch the ballets.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 15260

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

"but since it will cost £20, require me to solder it in"

Assuming it's a reasonably well-regarded hifi amplifier, the £20 wouldn't put me off, but soldering, I have never got the hang of smiley - erm I've tried on many occasions over many years and even did an electronics course many moons ago and I have a reasonable solder kit, but I can never get a shiny reliable solder joint. Heck I can rarely even get the melted stuff off the iron onto where I want it to go. I am truly awful at soldering, no matter how many online tutorials I watch smiley - wah

Key: Complain about this post