A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 14721

Lusus

Also, many Ebay sellers give very short, concise replies that don't really contain the information you asked for.

Petty Hates

Post 14722

hammondorgan

You know when you're on the motorway,(before I start I'm an elderly 60-70mph trundler on the motorway, even then I feel like the skin is coming off my face!) and you see two HGV's driving alongside each other for mile after mile, forcing everyone else into the one remaining outside lane to overtake? Why on earth do they do that? I can't for the life of me see what benefit they get out of it, it seems to be deliberate and strategic, but maybe they're just having a chat on two walkie-talkie phone thingys, I really don't know. Oh and those notices on the back of company vans "How's my driving, ring such and such" to complain, which snidey so and so's going to do that? Maybe the same kind of person who cannot wait to point out when somebody's made a spelling mistake on the h2g2 message boards.

Petty Hates

Post 14723

Reality Manipulator

Internet searches - most of the time I never find what I want, i.e., Adult Aspergers informing family but only get information about what to tell your partner but that is totally unhelpful as I am not in a relationship or trying to find local information.

Petty Hates

Post 14724

Sho - employed again!

I've phoned a number on a truck before (as a passenger) and filmed the behaviour that I was complaining about. No idea what happened after that.

As for the truck racing, the Germans call it Elephantenrennen (elephant racing) and it is particularly irksome given that a lot of Autobahns have only 2 lanes in each direction

Petty Hates

Post 14725

quotes

PH-The notion that a serious subject can be discussed effectively via texting.

Petty Hates

Post 14726

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I've had some very serious discussions by text. Ten+ years ago, I'd be able to see what you mean, but nowadays you can get a lot into a text message. The logic that something cannot be effectively discussed by texting, in this day and age, is as flawed as saying something cannot be effectively discussed by IM or email.

Petty Hates

Post 14727

Sho - employed again!

I agree - sometimes texting can concentrate the mind, and gives you time to reply

Petty Hates

Post 14728

You can call me TC

And with a limited number of characters available, you cut the cackle and just say what needs saying. And I think we've all come to terms with the abbreviations now, as long as they are unambiguous.

Petty Hates

Post 14729

Cheerful Dragon

Two Petty Hates today.

1. Items delivered in packaging that's way too big. I got my medication this morning. The box it arrived in was big enough for ten packs of my tablets.
2. Misleading product titles. I was looking for cases for a Galaxy Tab 4. I lost count of the number where the product title said 'leather' but the product description said 'PU leather'.

Petty Hates

Post 14730

Bluebottle

I once was in a city centre when my shoelace snapped. So I popped into a shoe shop to buy a new shoelace, and it came in a packet of two, which was fair enough. I only needed one single black shoelace, I doubt anyone would have noticed had I had mismatching black shoelaces, but it never hurts to have a spare.

But though I was only buying a shoelace that was in a packet about six inches big, I was given the biggest bag I've ever seen in a shop (bigger than those bags for life you get in supermarkets, about the size of Ikea bags) that could easily fit half a dozen shoeboxes in.smiley - huh

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 14731

Cheerful Dragon

Good point, BB. I recently got a microSD card from Tesco's Click and Collect. The plastic 'envelope' it was wrapped in for delivery was sent size of a large carrier bag. And I do mean wrapped! I guess they don't have Jiffy bags/envelopes at the depot.

Petty Hates

Post 14732

Cheerful Dragon

Aargh! Preview before posting! The word 'sent' was left over from a change of mind about phrasing.smiley - facepalm

Petty Hates

Post 14733

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

PH: "literary fiction" - oh, stop being so bloody pretentious and just give it a genre.

Petty Hates

Post 14734

quotes

Mr D>> Ten+ years ago, I'd be able to see what you mean, but nowadays you can get a lot into a text message.

TC>> And with a limited number of characters available, you cut the cackle and just say what needs saying. And I think we've all come to terms with the abbreviations now, as long as they are unambiguous.

Interesting that you are both texting advocates, but apparently for diametrically opposed reasons.

Petty Hates

Post 14735

You can call me TC

smiley - biggrin Hardly an advocate, but moaning about those abbreviations is no longer smiley - cool. Everyone knows what they mean.

Petty Hates

Post 14736

You can call me TC

Actually, I thought we were presenting the same argument. Fara be it from me to disagree with Mr D.

Petty Hates

Post 14737

You can call me TC

Whoops. I meant "far", of course.

Petty Hates

Post 14738

ITIWBS

Enormously oversized and well-nigh indestructible packaging that takes cutting tools of some kind to open is frequently used to prevent shoplifting of small merchandise items that might otherwise be readily pocketable.

...also increases the expense.

Petty Hates

Post 14739

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

"Everyone knows what they mean."

I still have trouble with them. smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 14740

hammondorgan

Couldn't agree more about the ambiguous packaging, I thought I'd got a bargain when I got a Galaxy for £1.50, thought I'd got a natty computer tablet very cheap, when I opened it up it was a bar of rather bland chocolate. And Boots, they've got the worst selection of footware in any shop, you're lucky if they stock Scholl sandals even, very misleading.

Key: Complain about this post