A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 13841

KB

Light bulbs. Or rather, the variety of them. It seems like every light or lamp in the house takes a different kind of bulb, which won't fit any of the others. I've got a box full of different kinds of bulb, but the one I need always seems to be missing.

Petty Hates

Post 13842

Pink Paisley

Fireworks neck.

They are all up in the air and I was looking upwards for over 25 minutes tonight.

My head is going to have to lose weight. Or earn it's keep.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 13843

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

When people write "it's" when really they mean "its." Also "lead" when they mean "led."

Worse, when that happens in more-or-less professional publications that supposedly have editors that really should know better.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 13844

Cheerful Dragon

Clicking 'unsubscribe' when you mean to hit 'reply' - something I just did!smiley - erm

The smell of Deep Heat and other sprays/creams for aching muscles.

Councils who fail to make adequate arrangements for event weekends. 31st October - 2nd November was Goth Weekend in Whitby. Parking was inadequate for the number of visitors and the number of pedestrians walking in the road over the swing bridge meant that vehicles had difficulty getting across. The bridge is traffic light controlled and vehicles can only go in single file. There were times when the lights would change but traffic couldn't move because of pedestrians on the bridge. The local council (Scarborough) should have known there would be a huge influx of visitors and made arrangements to control movement over the swing bridge. It was good to see so many people dressed up, though, and the Goths weren't all uoungsters, either.smiley - biggrin The abbey was illuminated at night and the presentations were quite interesting (we saw the ones about grave robbers and Victorian crime and punishment). On that note: cold windy weather is a petty hate, although it's only to be expected on the North Yorkshire Moors in November.

Hidden

Post 13845

quotes

PH; those things on Facebook which give a teaser photo of something mildly interesting, and then say "you'll never believe what happened next". Having clicked once and felt I'd wasted my time, I don't want to ever click again; but now I'm effectively being teased every time I see one of these things, and it's annoying.

Petty Hates

Post 13846

Sho - employed again!

I always want track down the instigators of those teasers, pin them down and yell "if that's all it takes to knock your socks off, you're easily pleased, sunshne!"

Hidden

Post 13847

quotes

"Sho tracked down the instigator of these Facebook Teasers. What happened next will amaze you. "

Petty Hates

Post 13848

Sho - employed again!

smiley - rofl

Petty Hates

Post 13849

Nameless Stealth Wobo

How I can't change my terrible name. (hint Burrito Dancer)smiley - sadface

Petty Hates

Post 13850

Sho - employed again!

if you are in the skin with the Dolphin on the right hand side - you can see "preferences" and should be able to change it there smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 13851

Nameless Stealth Wobo

thanks

Petty Hates

Post 13852

swl

Wondering what that was that just got sucked up by the Hoover.

Petty Hates

Post 13853

KB

PH: "Warning! This site uses cookies. By using this site you agree that blah blah blah".

Oh sod off and give me peace.

Petty Hates

Post 13854

Pastey

That was one of the most stupidly illconceived digital laws of the last few years.

Petty Hates

Post 13855

Beatrice

Newspapers that still expect you to sign up and subscribe before you can read an article (yes FT I'm looking sternly at you!)

Petty Hates

Post 13856

Pastey

Weirdly, when they first started doing that they were very vocal about how much extra money they were getting, how even though they had fewer readers they were getting more from those few subscriptions than they were from the advertising.
They've not been saying much about it recently, so I wonder if people haven't been keeping up their subscriptions once they realise they can get the news elsewhere, for free.

Petty Hates

Post 13857

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I can ignore the cookie alerts nowadays... but I agree that it was a bloody silly law. I mean, websites have *always* used cookies, it's not like it was some brand new thing.

Petty Hates

Post 13858

Lusus

On a related note to Beatrice's PH, the BBC's 'Ten Things We Didn't Know This Time Last Week'.

This regular BBC magazine feature often includes a link to one of those subscription newspapers, and if you haven't subscribed you can't access the entire article.

Whats the point of the BBC dangling an interesting titbit of information in front of its readers when maybe the majority can't read the full article...?

Petty Hates

Post 13859

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Online forms (job applications for example) that expect you to enter all the requierd info onto one, un-savable page smiley - yikes
9 times out of 10, that form which has taken you 3 hours to fill in, is going to expire, time-out, struggle with your pop-up blocker or otherwise crash when you hit 'submit' and the back key will reveal a shiny new fresh unblemished form smiley - wahsmiley - wah

Admittedly I'm seeing this less nowadays; it is terribly bad practice and most organisations with half a brain between their IT department staff, have forms split into sections which can be saved and retrieved later.

The only mitigation is to fill in the sections in a separate word or similar document, but that still requires loads of copy and paste when things go wrong, and wont save time with drop-down box type forms smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 13860

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Printers who demand you purchase and install new ink cartridges, even if it is only one of the colours, and refuse to print one more letter until you do! The option of 'Let me buy it for you on-line' is even more annoying! No, you may not spend my money - you have already cost me enoughsmiley - headhurts

F smiley - dolphin S

Key: Complain about this post