A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 13741

quotes

Documentaries which use an obvious soundtrack. Whenever they look back to the dawn of humanity, they will use ominous, foreboding music; surely people knew how to have fun back then? I'd like to see an anthropology documentary set to the Benny Hill theme.

Petty Hates

Post 13742

Bluebottle

I saw quite a dreadful documentary a few years ago, entitled 'When Dinosaurs Ruled... Europe', part of the 'When Dinosaurs Ruled...' series. As well as the terribly predictable soundtrack (jungle drums – not that dinosaurs are known for their love of percussion) they introduced their discussion on dinosaur discoveries in Spain by showing a shot of the Needles, Isle of Wight. It isn't even remotely close.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 13743

Pink Paisley

Ahem.

'not that dinosaurs are known for their love of percussion'.

Not that the percussion section here is of the highest quality, but on the whole, this is pretty percussive. There are a few glimpses of dinosaurs here playing drums. Provided that you don't get distracted by the, er, mammals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLtvakawa-k

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 13744

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

Sunday service public transport

Petty Hates

Post 13745

swl

Waking up to a house covered in feathers because the cats brought a bird in to shred last night smiley - sadface

Petty Hates

Post 13746

ITIWBS

The feral cats having deserted the place, the kangaroo rats having a population explosion.

Petty Hates

Post 13747

Bluebottle

Swimming pool lifeguards who constantly blow their whistles, with no indication of who they are whistling at or why.
I don't wear my glasses when swimming and find it hard enough to work out what's going on at the best of times.

<BB

Petty Hates

Post 13748

Pink Paisley

People who fart on aeroplanes. It is enclosed and just hangs about.

PP

Petty Hates

Post 13749

You can call me TC

Something to do with cabin pressure? Or airline food?

Petty Hates

Post 13750

Pink Paisley

BT , who insist that I have my bill online to save money, but send me advertising through the post at least once per month.

I have no interest in advertising from them but would quite like not having to access my bill online.

I'd also like not to keep paying for them to send me advertising.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 13751

KB

When you remember the punchline of a joke, but can't remember the lead up to it.

"Now is the winter of our discount tents..." smiley - huh

Petty Hates

Post 13752

Cheerful Dragon

That's not the punchline of a joke. That's an advertisement for an outdoor/camping shop. Don't ask me which one - it's been used more than once, AFAIK.

Petty Hates

Post 13753

KB

That's what the Internet told me, too. smiley - winkeye

But it was also the punchline of a joke before it was a byline for selling overpriced kit. It's quite an obvious one, so I would be surprised if it didn't arise simultaneously in different places. And I also suspect the hand of Ronnie Barker.

Petty Hates

Post 13754

KB

smiley - candlesmiley - candlesmiley - candlesmiley - candle

Petty Hates

Post 13755

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Innapropriate use of excel. My work uses it for everything, but mostly text-based forms and reports. Excel is primarily intended for use with numbers, accounting,etc. It handles text, but awkwardly and unpredictably.
It really irks me how difficult tasks are made in my workplace due to the use of the wrong tools for the job.
That said, Word isn't much better at handling words in table format smiley - shrug

Petty Hates

Post 13756

swl

Oh absolutely. I hate when I'm sent forms and documents in PowerPoint from marketing.

Petty Hates

Post 13757

Pastey

Or anything in Access.

Petty Hates

Post 13758

Sho - employed again!

I love Excel - if you know a bit about how it works it can be brilliant smiley - smiley

PH for me today: groups of people who get of buses and *stand right there where they got off yakking and having no sense of urgency to move away and let me off*

and now with added 2nd PH: men who sit on public transport with their legs splayed so wide it's nearly impossible to sit on the seat next to them. I always have the urge to say, loudly, "blimey, they must be the size of freakin' footballs"
If they're that big, buster, buy them their own ticket and seat reservation smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 13759

KB

Under "inappropriate use of Excel", I'd include the stubborn insistence on printing the damn things out. A spreadsheet can be infinite columns wide x infinite rows long. It's no use squeezing all that on to an A4 page and handing it to me - just email me the damn thing instead! smiley - rolleyes

Petty Hates

Post 13760

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

"I love Excel - if you know a bit about how it works it can be brilliant"

This!

Contrary to popular beleif Excel does what it does very well; it just takes a bit of learning, which people don't seem to like.

Key: Complain about this post