A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 13641

swl

I thought Twelveses was Tiffin?

Petty Hates

Post 13642

ITIWBS

In southern California, usually ~ between 10:00am and 10:30am, though its usually a summertime affair on daylight savings time, usually served in the form of a buffet.

11:00am to 1:30pm is 'lunch', 'dinner' in the American midwest and deep south.

Petty Hates

Post 13643

Cheerful Dragon

Hubby always objected to the word 'brunch', believing it to be a pointless modern Americanism. Actually, brunch was first used in Punch in 1896, making it a British-English 'antique' (i.e., over 100 years old).

Petty Hates

Post 13644

KB

Sheesh, I just said that it was a petty hate. I know it is a word which was not invented recently. smiley - laugh

Petty Hates

Post 13645

KB

Didn't we used to have a few threads about etymology?

Petty Hates

Post 13646

ITIWBS

The word has always made me feel a little uncomfortable too.

Petty Hates

Post 13647

Pink Paisley

Look. Although the practice has become widespread, particularly in the media it would seem, it is no less a petty hate to hear a sentence needlessly start witglh the word 'look'.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 13648

Pastey

See here, we should start a trend to go totally retro and revert to "see here" smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 13649

swl

"The content owner has not made this video available on mobiles. Add to playlist or watch later on a PC"

smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 13650

quotes

SWL, that is annoying, but you can try to 'request desktop site'.

Petty Hates

Post 13651

Pastey

Any website that has different content for arbitrarily decided mobile or desktop devices can get tee fiddle as far as I'm concerned.

Petty Hates

Post 13652

swl

Doesn't work on my iPad but works on my not-much-bigger XPS taplet/laptop using a Windows App? Weird.

Petty Hates

Post 13653

Lusus

My PH of the day is technology and this is why:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinchack/the-most-concerning-autocorrect-fails-of-all-time

Petty Hates

Post 13654

Cheerful Dragon

Not an autocorrect, but could have taken me somewhere I didn't want to go: I was searching for Help for Heroes. Predictive text suggested herpes instead of heroes.

Petty Hates

Post 13655

swl

smiley - laugh

Petty Hates

Post 13656

ITIWBS

...experimental programs that frankly don't even rate beta re!ease, without either disable/enable or effective uninstall controls...

Petty Hates

Post 13657

ITIWBS

...outrageously inflated Google data usage charges about 1000 the actual data usage required, 6 - 8 MB for a 1 - 3 paragraph memo, between 70 and 80 MB for a two page letter...

...broken links due to auto capitalization of the first letter following a period, '.', even in URL bar addresses...

Petty Hates

Post 13658

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Chronic itching. smiley - groan

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 13659

Cheerful Dragon

Mr. X, do anti-histamines help? I sometimes get really itchy hands or feet. I find an anti-histamine eases the problem, even though it's not obviously an allergic reaction to anything.

Petty Hates

Post 13660

Pastey

PH today: Rain. The sort of rain that starts not long after you set out for a run, and stops just before you do. I swear it's doing it on purpose.

Key: Complain about this post