A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 16181

Icy North

The Olympic Games are a great alternative to war, In terms of wanting to beat Johnny Foreigner at something.

I've been enjoying the taekwondo. You spend 5 minutes trying to kick each other's heads in, then have a little hug and enjoy a drink together in the bar.

Petty Hates

Post 16182

Mr. X ---> "You may be a king or a little street-sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the Reaper..."

The thing that really annoys me is that if someone besides an American (in my case) wins a gold, they don't bother to show them on the podium. They just move right on to the next thing.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16183

Teasswill

Next PH is that they're now talking about honours for medal winners.
Isn't the medal reward enough? What about all those who worked hard & tried their best, but someone else was that bit faster/stronger etc.
But then I have a dislike of the honours system as it is anyway.

Petty Hates

Post 16184

ITIWBS

On winks and eyebrow raising, training worked for me, though I failed first time I tried.

I can also wiggle my ears, one at a time.

People who can wiggle both together usually haven't any difficulty learning to wiggle one at a time with a little effort.

smiley - biggrinJohn Wayne could do it.

Petty Hates

Post 16185

Mr. X ---> "You may be a king or a little street-sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the Reaper..."

PH: Love

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16186

Baron Grim

Love stinks!

Petty Hates

Post 16187

Cheerful Dragon

Are there any particular stinks you love, BG? The smell of a pig farm? A field on a hot day when they've been muck spreading? The elephant house at a zoo? Please let us know.smiley - winkeyesmiley - tongueout

Petty Hates

Post 16188

Baron Grim

I love the stench of nostalgia for early '80s MTV.

http://youtu.be/E0LAs7X5ybE

Petty Hates

Post 16189

I love the smell of manure, and farts.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16190

Pink Paisley

Is this a good time to blame 2Legs?

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 16191

No.

Incidentally, I hate this running gag about 2Legs.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16192

Icy North

I blame 2legs for running gags.

Petty Hates

Post 16193

Icy North

PH: people who accuse you of being argumentative.

Why? Because there's no logical response. Choose between:

a) "No, I'm not trying to be argumentative I tell you", and

b) "Yes, I'm being argumentative - I couldn't agree with you more".

Petty Hates

Post 16194

Lusus

PH: Horrible people in the world who have far too much detrimental influence, especially those who are hypercritically deeply offended when their pseudo 'respectability' and social standing is brought into question. Examples of such people include (in no particular order):

1/ Katie Hopkins
2/ Donald Trump
3/ Nigel Farage
4/ Vladimir Putin

There's plenty more but that's a taster of what and who I mean.

Petty Hates

Post 16195

Surely that's more than petty.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16196

Baron Grim

It didn't get a lot of coverage here, but Donald Trump brought Nigel Farage to a rally in Mississippi so they could congratulate each other for Brexit, walls, how they'll both get rid of furriners or something along those lines.

Most people there in Mississippi have no idea who Farage is, but apparently this really appealed to the so called "Alt Right" folks who Breitbart caters to. They also are trying to make a thing of labeling Hillary Clinton as "America's Angelasmiley - star Merkel". Apparently, (according to some folks on the Rachel Maddow show) this appeals to the racists in the alt right because they consider Merkel some sort of race traitor for allowing so many refugees into Germany.

smiley - star Obviously Trump is being fed this stuff from his new, former Breitbart, campaign manager as he pronounced her name "AN-jel-lah".

Petty Hates

Post 16197

Cheerful Dragon

I've remembered a PH from my holiday: people who don't turn disable their car alarm during a ferry crossing. Even a slightly rough sea will set off a car alarm. This isn't a problem on a longer crossing, cross-Channel for example. But it is an issue on shorter crossings like the ones from Scotland to Orkney, particularly on the Pentland Ferries catamaran that we like to use. The cars and trucks are more-or-less in the open and it's only a small boat, so the sound of car alarms carries pretty much throughout the vessel. It gets really annoying after a while.

Petty Hates

Post 16198

Baron Grim

I could see it being a problem on longer crossings if the alarms drain the batteries and the cars block others from disembarking.

We don't have any long ferry trips here. The nearest ferry to me crosses from Galveston Island to the Bolivar peninsula just a couple of miles across.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more