A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 15001

hammondorgan

People who do crosswords in pencil so they can rub out their mistakes, come on, join me in the fast lane, life is all about risk-taking! Get yourself a Bic and live a little!

Petty Hates

Post 15002

Teasswill

I can write fairly faintly with a biro if I'm not sure - a felt tip, now that is difficult to replace!

Petty Hates

Post 15003

Sho - with added slapping hand

PH today: the lockers in my gym. Which are pretty much the same as lockers in every gym - higher than they are wide, so everyone has to stand their gym-bag on end to get it in there. Why aren't they wider than they are high?

Petty Hates

Post 15004

KB

Well, because the human body's also higher than it is wide, so you can have people standing side by side using lockers. To fit the same amount of lockers in a given space horizontally, they would need to be stacked up, and most people using them would have to crouch at an uncomfortable height somewhere between kneeling and standing, which would be a whole new PH.

Petty Hates

Post 15005

hammondorgan

Can you still buy Biro's? I'm not being picky here, just wondering, we always referred to any ball point as a biro, same as any vacuum cleaner became a Hoover, but when the disposable ball points came in, they used to be a shilling, Bic were actually the first to make them as far as I know, we weren't allowed to use them at school, you had to use a fountain pen, I could never afford a decent one, just leaky cheap things, and I'm left-handed and used to always be getting in trouble for handing in smudged work. To this day I'm a pen neurotic, if I misplace one of my pens there's no peace in the house till it's found.

Petty Hates

Post 15006

Pink Paisley

I believe that Lazlo Biro (Hungarian, Romanian or something out that way) was the first to produce the ballpoint and that Bic were Johnny-come-latelies in the field.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 15007

Pink Paisley

The clear Bic writes best of all of them though IMHO.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 15008

Sho - with added slapping hand

the lockers start from the ground up and are in two rows, so the bottom row have to bend down anyway. It's only to chuck a bag in and take it out again, like left luggage at the station.

Petty Hates

Post 15009

Bluebottle Badge Winners Get In Free

I agree with Sho. Introduce wider-than-tall lockers in leisure centres.
If you're going swimming and trying to put a family of 4's belongings in a taller-than-wide locker, all the shoes end up pile on top of each other in a heap, but with a wider than tall locker, the shoes would line up neatly. Besides which, if you are trying to get to a locker low down, you can ask one of the kids to put the bags in. They enjoy doing that sort of thing and keeps them out of mischief.smiley - smiley

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 15010

Teasswill

Lockers in general. Mine at work is slightly too narrow for my bag to go in easily, so it tends to get caught on the rather wicked edge strip causing frayed edges.

Petty Hates

Post 15011

quotes

PH People you don't know who start smiling when they're explaining something to you. I'm guessing they've been told it helps to smile to put strangers at their ease, and so they just click it on half way through their spiel, not realising how creepy it makes them look.

Petty Hates

Post 15012

Bluebottle Badge Winners Get In Free

Similarly, people who say something, nod, and then look at you and wait for you to nod. Especially when spouting managerial speak. If you want to nod that's fine, I respect your right to nod, but I'm not a nodding dog, I'll nod as and when I choose.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 15013

Teasswill

Today's PH: using a price comparison website & having to give so much info eg email so will now be plagued with follow up.

Key: Complain about this post