A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 16321

It's just awful when people you've admired all your life shuffle off this mortal coil, I'm referring of course to the great Bobby Vee, news of his death has just come through my wife has simply adored him since we were kids, we got to see him in concert in the early sixties, just fantastic, he'll always be the boyish popster as far as my missus is concerned, same can't be said for me as she's watched my gradual disintegration from close quarters! Oddly, Dylan was an absolutely devoted fan of Bobby's, BV gave Dylan his first paid job as a pianist in his band! Makes me realise I've been playing 'More Than I can Say' for well over 50 years, Thank's and God Bless Bobby.

Petty Hates

Post 16322

Cheerful Dragon

Losing someone you admire isn't really a Petty Hate, IMO. It's a fact of life. I could write quite a long list of people I admire who are no longer with us. I've reached the stage where I just say "How sad!", and possibly comment on their age when they died. (Anything under about 70 is too young, 80+ is a good age.)

It is a shame that Bobby Vee has died and I do empathise with his fans, just as I empathised with David Bowie's fans when he died. It's just that those deaths don't affect me to the same extent.

Petty Hates

Post 16323

John Lennon: "The end of the death age!"

Philip Jose Farmer: The Riverworld series.

Far fetched as the latter may seem, I think it is in the realm of the possible and may one day come.

Petty Hates

Post 16324

Cheerful Dragon

This is not a Petty Hate, it's a major issue: switching from DLA to PIP. I knew it would happen, so the initial letter wasn't a shock. What annoyed me was the non-availability of the PIP helpline, as a result of which I couldn't tell them that I was going on holiday. For once a government department was efficient and the form was sent out promptly, so I ended up with just two weeks to complete the form instead of four.

I needed to change the appointment for my face-to-face assessment, which can only be done once. (I presume that they would make an exception in the event of hospitalisation. But perhaps not.smiley - erm) Today I received my PIP award letter, complete with the reasons for the decision. I have to say that the reasons were largely BS. The form I filled in was largely ignored. The decisions seem to be mostly based on the assessor's report. If that is the case, the assessor's report was inaccurate to say the least. It certainly didn't reflect what we told her. The description of my musculoskeletal condition was nonsense, too.

I suffer from MS, which can be aggravated by stress. I'm finding the whole process extremely frustrating and I wonder how many people have their condition worsened by it.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more