A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 15301

Mr. X

Speaking personally, I've always heard the "O" spoken as it is in "body" as well. smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 15302

quotes

PH: despite having years of old mains adapters here in a drawer, I haven't got any fitted with a little headphone jack. I'm going to have to hunt through the dozens of devices around the house and in the attic which might have one.
What sort of thing uses them?

Petty Hates

Post 15303

Smartarse

Headphones?

Petty Hates

Post 15304

Bald Bloke

Old Sony Walkman?

Petty Hates

Post 15305

quotes

I'm guessing that any device designed to plug headphones into, would not have a mains adapter fitter with the a headphone jack.

Petty Hates

Post 15306

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I have a few older guitar effects pedals that need a headphone style jack for the mains adaptor.

Petty Hates

Post 15307

You can call me TC

You want to put 220V through your ears?

Petty Hates

Post 15308

Teasswill

PH: devices such as camera that don't have interchangeable battery packs.

Petty Hates

Post 15309

Teasswill

PH: website enquiry forms that merely create an automated response (we'll get back to you - no they don't) instead of a proper email address.

PH: sticky plasters that don't stay stuck.

Petty Hates

Post 15310

Lusus

If you have previously saved tracks from your record collection your to PC then the pre-amp might have a headphone style jack attached. Of course, someone will probably be selling one on Ebay for next to nothing.

Petty Hates

Post 15311

I think I might be the only one who understood what quotes meant!

Petty Hates

Post 15312

Baron Grim

I know I don't. I'm trying to imagine why a set of earphones would need to be plugged into the wall. That can't be right.

Petty Hates

Post 15313

quotes

Ok, you know the pointy end of a phone charger, on the end of the wire? Imagine that's a headphone jack, but for recharging your phone, not listening to anything through. Phones aren't fitted with them, to my knowledge, and nor are a lot of other things; apart from things like Mr D's pedal, and this Pignose Amp I'm trying to power.

Looks like I'll have to buy one.

Petty Hates

Post 15314

Baron Grim

Ah... I think I know what you're talking about and U42 also considered them a petty hate.

http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/980707-03-a.html

Petty Hates

Post 15315

I got mine from Maplin.

Petty Hates

Post 15316

Lusus

I thought what you wanted was something that fitted over a large headphone plug that had a smaller headphone plug attached, since some older headphones are fitted with larger plugs that won't fit a phone or PC. I think you can get either a socket or a plug that reduces/ enlarges either the plug or the socket.

Am I still thinking of the wrong thing....? smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 15317

Pastey

PH: Waiting on emails.

I've applied for something, and now I'm waiting to hear back from it. It's supposed to take up to seven working days, they've now had three.

I'm really not very patient.

I'm also waiting to hear back about something else, so there's not a lot of patience to start with.

Petty Hates

Post 15318

Pink Paisley

Toilet roll de-lamination. And then it sort of re-laminates to the wrong side of the correct spiral (if you think of 2-ply toilet rolls as 2 intertwined spirals) and the perforations no longer line up.

PP.

Key: Complain about this post