A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 13941

Bluebottle

smiley - huh Who?
In other words, not enough said.

PH - Having that feeling you've forgotten something while cycling to work at 7:30am, only to suddenly realise what it was when you reach the still-flooded Stoneham Lane, and it is too late to go all the way back along the alternate route. It is quite fun seeing how the leaves in the flood water have assembled into natural dams along the way.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 13942

Cheerful Dragon

TV channels that start showing Christmas films in mid-November. Film4 has already shown White Christmas three times and it's not even December. Other channels are as bad. Isn't it enough for shops to start filling their shelves with Christmas stuff the minute Halloween is over, and for our screens to be inundated with ads encouraging overspending? Give us a break!smiley - rolleyes

Petty Hates

Post 13943

Dr Anthea - Artist, Ninja, Potter..?

they waited till Halloween was over where you are?
one side of the aisle had Halloween and the other side already had advent calenders and chocolate tree baubles... christmas starts far too early

Petty Hates

Post 13944

Sho / Flo - what's the difference?

Sarah Vine is a Daily Mail columnist and wife of Michael Gove who has used her column to make a revolting verbal attack on Jack Munroe who is a poverty campaigner.

Jack Munroe tweeted under the #CameronMustGo that he uses the death of his son Ivan to shut down discussion about what his government is doing to the NHS.

Regardless of your position on that - what Vine wrote was repulsive.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/sarah-vine-on-jack-monroe-being-a-lesbian-mother-if-she-was-unsure-about-her-sexuality-she-should-have-taken-greater-precautions-9882054.html

that is a link to the Independent article about it. You can hunt out the original article yourself if you like smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 13945

Pink Paisley

That I have too many user names and passwords at work.

Computer user name 1 Password changes every 90 days.
Network user name 2 Password changes every 60 days.
Database user name 3 Password NEVER changes even though this is the most sensitive thing that I access.
E-mail 1 user name 4 Changes every 3 months.
E-mail 2 user name 2 Changes every 60 days.

Then there's doors same building but all with different pass numbers:-

External door to building.
Internal door to staff area.
1st floor upstairs back entrance
1st floor upstairs front entrance.

Nobody sets the burglar alarm any more since the team out last don't want to take responsibillity for setting it. They would rather take responsibillity for leaving the building un-alarmed(Dur?)

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 13946

Cheerful Dragon

Books with very small print. It's as if the publishers don't want to spend more on paper than they have to, so they cram as many words on to a page as they can.smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 13947

quotes

PH Dinosaur movies where the dinosaurs end up eating people in a reign of terror. Isn't there something else that could happen?

Petty Hates

Post 13948

Cheerful Dragon

Yes, but herbivorous dinosaurs destroying vegetation won't put bums on seats.

Petty Hates

Post 13949

Pastey

Today's PH is a bit of a niche one.

There's a lot of new breweries starting up, which is a good thing. A lot of these have never home-brewed before, and the beers they're brewing are brand new. Also a good thing.

The petty hate though, is how they'll go on at length about how these brand new beers smell and taste, with long and lavish write-ups in newspapers and on websites. But how can they know? They've never brewed it before.smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 13950

quotes

>>Yes, but herbivorous dinosaurs destroying vegetation won't put bums on seats.

Yes, but Star Trek managed to have an interesting plot featuring big extinct* animals; whales. And no-one got eaten by them.

*You know what I mean.

Petty Hates

Post 13951

Cheerful Dragon

How many of the bums on seats were there because of the words 'Star Trek'? The plot was interesting but the film isn't one of my favourites of that franchise.

Petty Hates

Post 13952

Bluebottle

Have you been watching the new 'Jurassic World' trailer?

The thing is it makes it easy to plot - dinosaur on rampage, dinosaur dead, film ends.

The world's most successful documentary series ever was 'Walking With Dinosaurs'. It had dinosaurs, and no dinosaur rampage. I had been really looking forward to the film - up until it had terrible dire-logue added. I still reckon that if they'd had Kenneth Brannagh narrate it would have been much more successful.

But now and then I don't mind a bit of dinosaur rampaging action - I'm very fond of Harryhausen dinosaur films. They didn't have the budget to make films with decent actors or hire decent scriptwriters, but Harryhausen's dinosaurs are animated works of art. Modern CGI films like 'Mega Python v Gatoroid' aren't.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 13953

Mr. X---> "God defend me from my friends, from my enemies I can defend myself."

Seconded. We especially don't need a new Jurassic Park movie. We have plenty of Jurassic Park movies; we have BETTER Jurassic Park movies. MAKE SOMETHING NEW!!!

"How many of the bums on seats were there because of the words 'Star Trek'? The plot was interesting but the film isn't one of my favourites of that franchise."

Madness! The only one that MIGHT be better than Star Trek IV is Star Trek VI.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 13954

swl

<< I still reckon that if they'd had Kenneth Brannagh narrate it would have been much more successful.>>

Or Johnny Morris

Key: Complain about this post