A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 8561

Sho / Flo - what's the difference?

just finished the 2nd GoT book - up to about the last 150 pages (and just about all of the first book) the TV series was pretty much a direct translation to the small screen of the books.

I'm reading Pratchett's I Shall Wear Midnight as light relief before starting the 3rd GoT :D

Post 8562

Cheerful Dragon

That's where I have a problem, Sho. I have the complete GoT series on my Kindle. I've read the first two and I've been taking a break from them. While I'm on holiday I can either start book 3 or read something completely different. I've got so many books on my Kindle that I'm spoiled for choice!smiley - biggrin

Post 8563

Sho / Flo - what's the difference?

I have really really enjoyed the books - I'm pacing myself because I don't want to finish them too quickly! But I've only seen the first two seasons on DVD and am impatiently waiting for the 3rd (I won't have read the book by then) but after that my reading will be ahead of my viewing.

Have a good holiday!

Post 8564

Mr. Dreadful - Our pleasures be joyless, doleful experiences...

Halfway through Zone One by Colson Whitehead.

It's not a bad take on the zombie genre, but is a bit too slow-paced and navel gazey for me.

Post 8565

Cheerful Dragon

Just back from my holiday and here's what I read (in no particular order):

Finished Claudius the God by Robert Graves
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
A Storm of Swords part 1 by G R R Martin
Antonina by Wilkie Collins (his first novel)
The Creation of Anne Boleyn by Susan Bordo
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Catherine the Great by Robert K Massie

I also read a bit more of Decline and Fall - about 5% through now.

Now I'm home I'll be giving the Kindle a rest and concentrating on tree-books for a while. Wilkie Collins' novel and Decline and Fall are products of their time as regards attitudes to Romans and barbarians, and I'm not sure about the historical accuracy of the Goths' behaviour in Antonina, so my next tree-book will be Terry Jones' Barbarians.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more