A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 8661

Bagpuss

Ivanhoe by Walter Scott. Chivalry, merry men, Knights Templar, tourneys, derring-do and outlaws in Lincoln green.

Post 8662

Cheerful Dragon

Sho, the problem is that any book I buy or put on my wish list could reasonably be used for recommendations, if only Amazon had a decent way of arriving at those recommendations. If a book is a one-off purchase then, yes, I click 'Don't use for recommendations'.

I've managed to refine my recommendations so that most are OK, but Amazon does still get it wrong from time to time.

Post 8663

Sho / Flo - what's the difference?

I adore Ivanhoe. It is, for me, the PERFECT novel

Post 8664

KB

The problem is that they've know way of knowing *why* we buy what we buy. For example, if I buy, say, 'A Tale of Two Cities", perhaps I'm buying it because I like fiction about the French Revolution, or perhaps it is because I like Charles Dickens. If it'a for the former reason, I probably wouldn't be interested in 'A Christmas Carol'. If it's for the latter reason, I probably wouldn't be that interested by a history of France.

And I really don't understand why they suggest different editions of a book you've already bought.

Post 8665

Cheerful Dragon

I don't think I've had recommendations of different editions of the same book. I have had recommendations for, say, Treasure Island when I've already bought the Complete Works of R L Stevenson. (Applies to other authors.)

Post 8666

Sho / Flo - what's the difference?

i'm always getting recommendations of different versions of books (and then also getting a recommendation for the same book in German/english depending on which language I bought it in.

But there have been some really interesting ones that I've bought and liked. you can refine it by going through the recommendations and cheking either "I have it" or "not interested" smiley - smiley

Post 8667

Bagpuss

Years back there was an offer of books from Amazon with tokens from packs of cornflakes. I got a few and Amazon then believed I was interested in any other book that had been in the offer, no matter how unrelated.

Post 8668

KB

I know you can go through it saying "not interested...not interested...got it...not interested..." But I find I'd need to do that more than is worth it: because every book I buy spawns a whole lot more things I'm not interested in.

And it decided to start recommending Jeffrey Archer novels to me. That I find hard to forgive. smiley - winkeye

Post 8669

Pastey

Barking from Tom Holt.

I took ages to finish Snow White and the Seven Samurai, but have since read the Portable Door series really quickly, and am now slowing down a bit on Barking.

It's a good story, and pretty easy to follow, but there's just something about it that I don't quite get. You can't help but think "Why would he do that?" to a lot of the lead character's actions.

Key: Complain about this post