A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 8721

You can call me TC (Granny AND Granny-to-be)

Kingsley Amis is fine. It is best read in an old, yellowing paperback. I can't say I've had any trouble getting through them (may be an age thing, I can remember those days ... almost) but I can take them or leave them. Horribly sexist, of course.

Post 8722

Cheerful Dragon

Like I said, it's the attitudes and behaviour I have trouble with, as much as anything. They are very much 'of their time', i.e. just after the Second World War. It's the women, as much as the men. Not to mention the repeated reference to cigarettes/smoking.

Post 8723

ITIWBS

"A Voyage Toward The South Pole And Around The World" Volumes 1 & 2 by James Cook

"A Voyage To The South Sea" by William Bligh

Post 8724

Have just finished "An Officer and a Spy", by Robert Harris. I was amazed how riveted I was to a novel that was a true story, where I knew the outcome. Couldn't put it down!

Post 8725

Sho / Flo - what's the difference?

I can't remember if I mentioned that I started, and immediately put down for lack of time, Rubinrot by Kirsten Gier?
It's a time-travelling YA novel (a trilogy, because all YA novels have to come as a trilogy these days - that's the law) and I believe the first two have also come out as films. although I'm not sure if they're out only in German or if they are Hollywood things.
I picked it up again last night and so far so good.

Post 8726

As a footnote to the Robert Harris "Officer and a Spy" - which is about the Dreyfuss affair:

I wondered what French readers had made of it and found on amazon.fr that it came out in June in French translation and the comments were almost identical to what I had thought, and what the reviewers on English language amazon sites had said -

Expectations are low when you go in, because the story has been told so often, but you are soon involved and can identify with the narrator, who is a real person who was closely involved with the affair.

There are intriguing bits about the very early days of spying using modern technologies, and spatterings of bed scenes, which, though very mild, seem to confirm the opinion the rest of the world has on the French attitude to extramarital affairs, without banging on about it.

Funnily enough, there are even comments on amazon.de, even though it doesn't come out here in Germany until the end of the month.

All agreed that it is unputdownable. One reviewer said "If you only ever read one book, read this one!"

Post 8727

KB

I finished that one a while ago - yes, I really enjoyed it too. Easily the best of his books that I've read.

Post 8728

ITIWBS

"A Voyage To Arcturus" by David Lindsay, 1876 - 1945

Reads a little like C.S. Lewis's "Perelandra" trilogy.

Post 8729

Cheerful Dragon

Finished Lucky Jim and added it to a pile of books that will go to some charity or other. Started Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson. I'm enjoying it far more than Lucky Jim, despite the fact that the title characters are both manipulative and ought to be unlikeable.smiley - erm

Post 8730

Mol - on the little netbook

On holiday. So far I've read:

Raising Steam. Excellent.
Mrs Bradshaw's Guide etc. I really like it when finishing the book doesn't actually mean finishing the book, because there's more (cf LOTR appendices) - and that's what Mrs Bradshaw is for Raising Steam.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. Not a book I would normally have picked to read (re-reading Patrick O'Brian was my intended next stop) but there was a copy here, and I picked it up and found myself sucked in. I thought it was a romantic comedy (that's certainly my recollection of how the film was trailed) but it's not AT ALL. It was a rather entertaining political satire and mopped up the afternoon very nicely.

Now distracted by the Wonderful Wizard of Oz (illustrated edition), also belonging to the house. I will get onto Aubrey-Maturin eventually ... but there's a collection of Poirot stories here too ...

Mol

Key: Complain about this post