A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 8761

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

A Calculated Life by Anne Charnock. I chose it because it was nominated for the 2013 Philip Dick award, and so far is the best book I have read in months.

Post 8762

Sho / Flo - what's the difference?

Oranges are not the Only Fruit. Nearly finished. Underwhelmed. What am I missing?

Post 8763

KB - please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a mushroomwraith of wealth and taste

"The signs and wonders that the unbeliever might never understand", probably. smiley - winkeye

Post 8764

smiley - cheers

Post 8765

You can call me TC (Granny AND Granny-to-be)

The Circle. (Dave Eggers) Have I already mentioned it already? Am further into it, but it is very contrived still. The premise is unsettling. Apparently, there is even a book about all the things he has thought up for it.

It is about a girl who goes to work for a huge internet company which practically runs everything about people's lives. The first thing she has to do when she arrives is to upload the entire contents of her phone and laptop into the cloud. The aim of the company is to make the entire world's population transparent and for no one to have any secrets. This will ostensibly eradicate crime, hunger, fear, poverty, war and heaven knows what else. The whole company seems to be utterly convinced that what they are doing is all good. At first she is uneasy, then the doctrines seem to change her. I'm carrying on reading just to find out where it's all leading, but the style isn't really smooth.

Post 8766

Herr der Diebe by Cornelia Funke. I loved the Tintenherz trilogy, and i love the film of this so I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in to it.

Post 8767

Cheerful Dragon

Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers, a Lord Peter Wimsey story.

Key: Complain about this post