A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 8721

You can call me TC (Granny AND Granny-to-be)

Kingsley Amis is fine. It is best read in an old, yellowing paperback. I can't say I've had any trouble getting through them (may be an age thing, I can remember those days ... almost) but I can take them or leave them. Horribly sexist, of course.

Post 8722

Cheerful Dragon

Like I said, it's the attitudes and behaviour I have trouble with, as much as anything. They are very much 'of their time', i.e. just after the Second World War. It's the women, as much as the men. Not to mention the repeated reference to cigarettes/smoking.

Post 8723

ITIWBS

"A Voyage Toward The South Pole And Around The World" Volumes 1 & 2 by James Cook

"A Voyage To The South Sea" by William Bligh

Post 8724

You can call me TC (Granny AND Granny-to-be)

Have just finished "An Officer and a Spy", by Robert Harris. I was amazed how riveted I was to a novel that was a true story, where I knew the outcome. Couldn't put it down!

Post 8725

Sho / Flo - what's the difference?

I can't remember if I mentioned that I started, and immediately put down for lack of time, Rubinrot by Kirsten Gier?
It's a time-travelling YA novel (a trilogy, because all YA novels have to come as a trilogy these days - that's the law) and I believe the first two have also come out as films. although I'm not sure if they're out only in German or if they are Hollywood things.
I picked it up again last night and so far so good.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more