A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 8881

ITIWBS

Strongly reccomended for eyesight problems related to àging, bilberry jam.

They used to supply bilberry jam to WW II RAF pilots to improve their night vision and its thought that bilberries may of contributed to John Muir's recovery of his eyesight during his Yosemite sojourn.

Take it from one who knows, it can really help.

http://www.google.com/search?q=bilberry&oq=billber&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.6007j0j4&client=tablet-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Though bilberries are closely related to blueberries, they are distinct and not interchangeable.

I'd reccomend against most pill formulations, especially those described as 'standardized' in the labeling information, which means either that the active component is reduced below the naturally occuring amount or that it has been in some way chemically modified.

Post 8882

Cheerful Dragon

Bilberries may be great for age-related sight problems, and I may try them if I ever have such trouble. Unfortunately, my condition is optic neuritis with uveitis complicating the diagnosis. I'm not sure bilberries will help either condition.

Actually, my Kindle has saved my sanity over the past few months. The print books I've been reading have fairly large print. With Kindle I can have the font size as large as necessary.smiley - ok

Post 8883

Cheerful Dragon

Let's get this thread going again.

I'm reading Why the West Rules - For Now by Ian Morris on Kindle. It's an interesting look at why the 'West' has lead the world for the last 200+ years and whether that situation is likely to change.

I'm also reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It's a print book and it's a real door-stop. I'm going to buy the Kindle version when the price drops a bit.

Post 8884

ITIWBS

Will look in on the Ian Morris book.

Not least, a number of people have been making comparisons of the Islamic revolution with the western revolutionary movements begining in the 18th century on the point that for a couple of centuries following the Islamic revolution they led the world in science, technology and social and political enlightenment before collapsing into a static fundamentalism.

Still researching the history of science fiction and science, finally having time and resources for the kind of intensive reading I enjoy in retirement.

Currently have a couple of dozen books I'm reading concurrently, among them, Robert Louis Stevenson's 'Suicide Club' stories and couple of his travelogues.

Recently found a WW I era Dick Tracey novel.

Also looking through Schiller's history of the 30 Years War.

Post 8885

broelan

My poolside reading for the summer is Pratchett's Men at Arms. I've had it for years, but it's not sounding familiar yet. It's entirely possible I managed not to read it when I bought it smiley - weird

Post 8886

Cheerful Dragon

Ah, tsudoku! The book lover's curse. I'm trying to reduce my unread book list. Then I go and buy three books while I'm on holiday.smiley - erm

Post 8887

Cheerful Dragon

That should have been tsundoku, not a misspelled number puzzle.smiley - headhurts

Post 8888

Cheerful Dragon

The Ian Morris book covers more than just the last few hundred years. It covers the rise of civilisation from roughly 10,000BCE to present day. He starts by defining East and West. The definition of West may surprise you. He uses biology, geography and sociology, as well as history, to explain the various swings in the fortunes of East and West.

I wouldn't call it light reading, but I am finding it interesting.

Post 8889

You can call me TC

In between trashy chick lit and crime fiction I've got Jane Austen's "Persuasion" on the go and am still dipping in to Mark Twain's "Roughing it" which is huge, extremely informative, very perceptive, and mainly hilarious!

Comparing it with Robert Louis Stevenson's trilogy of his travels across America is interesting, too, as MT was there a few decades before RLS and saw the gold and silver mining in the West actually happening, whilst it had died out by the time RLS got there.

Post 8890

Cheerful Dragon

It's good to know I'm not the only one with multiple books on the go at the same time. As well as the ones I mentioned, I'm reading A Clash of Kings, Catching Fire (both Kindle) and The Historical Encyclopedia of Britain and Ireland (print), to name just three.

Post 8891

Sho - with added slapping hand

I'm reading The Deerslayer (J Fenimore Cooper) but it's a bit overly descriptive (seriously I've seen a lake before...) but also since I've added hugely to my TBR pile by hitting the charity shops in the UK, I'm reading on the train to and from work too.

Currently: Murder on the Orient Express. In a lifetime of reading only my 2nd Agatha Christie! smiley - yikes and I love it

Post 8892

broelan

I really should read a Mark Twain book. I'm not sure how I've managed to avoid it as I've lived my entire life 2 hours away from his hometown and I visit almost annually. Not that geography has much to do with reading, but you can imagine the local market is saturated with his work.

Maybe taking the Mark Twain Boyhood Home tour later this summer will inspire me to pick something up. I have tour tickets that expire in September, so we'll be going sometime before then.

Post 8893

ITIWBS

From "Roughing It" Mark Twain's reaction to the Hawaiian cherimoya was probably conditioned by his exposure in his youth to the Missouri paw-paw, a native Mississippian fruit very closely related to the cherimoya.

The cherimoya, sometimes available in supermarkets, a more robust form of paw-paw, is a delicate and tricky fruit.

Still green, its tough and fibrous, suitable only for cooking, good in a stir fry.

When the peel is just beginning to turn brown, its sweet, tender and light, with a mild pineapple flavor.

Wait until the peel is all brown, it can be baked in bread or custard, but has lost its interest as a fresh fruit.

The Misissippian paw-paw is still cultivated by some enthusiasts and has been used historically as a base for a distilled alcoholic beverage.

I had to agree with him also on the tamarind, though its good as a flavoring in sweet and sour sauce, though many people like it neat and the Mexicans use it to flavor a carbonated soft drink.

Post 8894

I love tamarind.

Finished Murder on the Orient Express. I'm going to read all Agatha Christie's output (eventually) in publication order.

Now reading How Football* Explains the World by Franklin Foer. It was published in 2005 so it's not really up to date, but it's basically a socio political walz through the footballing world, so it's definitely right up my street.

*although he's American he's talking about Association Football, or socer

Post 8895

You can call me TC

I've no idea what a tamarind is. Cherimoyas were a favourite fruit when I was au pairing in Spain in the 70s, but we ate them raw.

I don't usually have several books on the go, CD, but the Mark Twain was so long, I occasionally stopped to read a freshly downloaded rubbish book (usual Kindle stuff, full of grammatical and apostrophe errors and the names keep getting muddled.)

Persuasion I started on because I wanted to read it before listening to the recent In Our Time podcast on the subject.

Post 8896

ITIWBS

Cherimoyas and Missouri or Mississippi paw-paws, like peaches and apricots, or apples and pears.

Post 8897

Finished my football book, lots of politics in there which was great.

Now reading Chavs by Owen Jones.

Post 8898

You can call me TC

A quiz:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/14/nyregion/strand-quiz.html?_r=0

Apparently, you have to do this when applying for a job in a bookshop in New York. Well done them! Kids working in bookshops these days are often stumped by the simplest questions. You don't need a degree in Eng.Lit, but you ought to have some idea of the basics.

Post 8899

Cheerful Dragon

There were a lot of books in those quizzes that I recognised the title of, but wasn't sure about the author. Maybe I should read more!smiley - winkeyesmiley - tongueout (Maybe it's not the quantity of books, but the diversity that's the issue.smiley - erm)

Post 8900

Mol - on the new tablet

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

I will continue with the rest of the series but I found it quite a tiring book. The plot wasn't overwhelming but there was a lot of sci-fi to take in and get my head around.

Mol

Key: Complain about this post