A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 8741

Pastey

I currently buy about one or two books a year. And mostly that's getting them bought for me as presents. smiley - winkeye

Post 8742

Cheerful Dragon

Only one or two books a year!smiley - yikes

I'm not sure I could do that, even on my limited income. Most of the books I buy are less than £2 - Kindle Daily/Monthly Deal books, or BookBub suggestions. That's why I posed the question about the Kindle equivalent of tsundoku. I have more than 200 unread books on my Kindle, and it's rising!

Post 8743

Pastey

I've over three thousand books in the house, about half are unread smiley - erm

Post 8744

Cheerful Dragon

I've managed to get my unread 'tree-books' down to about 100 out of just over 1000. I'd hate to have more than 1000 books unread. If I had that many, I'd actually think of getting rid of some of them. Mind you, with that many unread books, it's probably best that you only buy one or two a year. You're taking tsundoku to extremes!

Post 8745

Pastey

I inherited about two thousand of those from my Grandmother, slowly working my way through them.

Post 8746

Sho / Flo - what's the difference?

I still have around 500 books in piles that I haven't read - when the soldiers came back from Kuwait in 1991 they brought a hangar full of packing crates full of books that had been donated via various organisations in the UK.

They arrived at the camp where smiley - chef was currently based and just had a free-for-all selling them at 50pfg a pop, regardless of hardback, paperback or whatever.

I took a wheelbarrow round and gave him instructions: penguin classics, any author you like, any author you have heard of... we got so many really good books. But I also buy around 50-70 a year so it just piles up.

Chez Sho and smiley - chef we are having a long-running "film festival" of films based on Philip K Dick novels/stories. Some better than others (give Paycheck a miss, for example) and at some point I am going to have to read them all to, for comparison smiley - magic

Post 8747

Pastey

That's what I'm currently doing! The Philip K Dick stories and films comparisons. I keep meaning to write them up as Guide entries, but it's rather busy here at the moment.

I loved the story of Paycheck, and while I thought the film was okay, it was too Hollywood. Too action packed, too many fight scenes and whereas the story had a decent plot and ending, the film seemed a bit too hinged on there being a bad guy.

Same with the recent Total Recall too. I've not got to We Can Remember It For You story yet to compare, but I wasn't overly impressed by the film.

Post 8748

so far my favourite film was, I think, Memento (if that's the one with Gary Sinese). Although my favourite film of all ever is Blade Runner so I'm saving that 'till last.

It all fits very well with my current OU coursef (philosophy) as they all seem to have some kind of issues around identity.

We'll be watching the Schwarzenegger Total Recall next, because I've only seen it once, when it came out. It will be interesting to see how it stands up to the remake (which I liked)

Post 8749

Pastey

They're completely different films. Both only take a small aspect of the book, that he was already mind-meddled as some sort of spy, and then mess around from there.

I did really enjoy Minority Report, but can't remember the story (it's still on the list to re-read) and recently saw The Adjustment Bureau which was a well made film, can't remember the book at all though.

Post 8750

Pastey

Oh, and as much as I love A Scanner Darkly, I've never made it through more than five minutes of the film adaptation.

Post 8751

A Scanner Darkly was really weird to watch, but on the whole I thought it was excellent. But weird. So so weird.

Minority Report was good, I thought. Usually I say "oh I don't like that Tom Cruise" but then I see him in a film and he's excellent. But the kids in the tank of water... just... well, weird. They're all weird.

I really liked the Adjustment Bureau though. Much much better than anything like it (well, Inception, I suppose)

Post 8752

Cheerful Dragon

Sho, Memento starred Guy Pearce. Gary Sinise wasn't in it at all, AFAIK.

As for inheriting books, we inherited some when hubby's mother died. Nowhere near 2000, though. We've kept some because they look interesting, or because they're books I've never read and would like to. I haven't included them on my Not Read list. I haven't even catalogued them. Not sure I'll bother, as we may not keep them in the long term. (OK, we've had them for 8 years. I mean longer term than that.smiley - tongueout)

Post 8753

then it was a different one - although tbh I have quite enjoyed most of them (Paycheck could have been so good - it was disappointing)

Post 8754

Cheerful Dragon

Are you thinking of Impostor? It's the only film I can think of that's based on a Philip K. Dick story and stars Gary Sinise.

Post 8755

that's the one smiley - smiley

Post 8756

Cheerful Dragon

Just started The Lunar Men by Jenny Uglow. The print is very small, so I'll probably only read it early in the day as my eyes get tired as the day goes on and I have difficulty focusing on small print.

Key: Complain about this post