A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 8781

Pastey

Currently reading Gods of Mars.

After reading Gnomon's entry on the John Carter books, I had to start reading them smiley - biggrin

Post 8782

You can call me TC (wearing midnight)

He ought to get commission on them.

Post 8783

Pastey

Alas for him, they're free on Gutenberg.

Post 8784

Mol - on the little netbook

Now would seem to be a good time for me to start that Discworld start-to-finish re-read. Now that we know it is the finish, I mean. smiley - brave

Mol

Post 8785

Cheerful Dragon

I only own four of the Discworld novels so far. Part of me is glad that the series is now finite. Most of me mourns the passing of an intelligent, witty and talented man.smiley - bluesmiley - cry

RIP Sir Terry. You will be missed, but not forgotten as long as there are Discworld books.smiley - rose

Post 8786

ITIWBS

Currently reading through Gutenberg's selection of H. Beam Piper stories.

I'd rate him like the single most cerebral and authoritative 20th century science fiction writer.

Post 8787

Sho / Flo - what's the difference?

Pratchett's daughter is going to carry on writing Discworld novels, isn't she?

Recently finished Pigeon Post which isn't my favourite of the Swallows & Amazon books, but probably in my top 3 (after Winter Holiday and the first one)

and have just finished When Nights Were Cold by Susanna Jones, which is about lady mountain climbers at the time of the suffragettes. Excellent read, and if you enjoy it you may also enjoy How to Climb Mont Blanc in a Skirt which is about female explorers in the 19th century and the turn of the 20th.

Post 8788

Cheerful Dragon

Dick Francis's son carried on writing 'Dick Francis' novels after his dad's death, but I haven't read any of them, despite having a full set of Dick Francis books. They may be reasonable stories in their own right, but they're not the same. Similarly with Pratchett's daughter taking on the Discworld mantle.

I'll buy the original Discworld novels (I notice the prices have gone up over the last few months). After that, who knows?

Post 8789

Cheerful Dragon

Almost forgot. If you're interested in female explorers, The Blessings of a Good Thick Skirt by Mary Russell and Unsuitable for Ladies by Jane Robinson are worth a look.

Post 8790

Pastey

Rhianna's an accomplished and acclaimed author in her own right, mostly famous for video games storylines. I'll be very interested to see if/how she takes on the Discworld mantle.

Gotta be better than MacCaffrey's son taking over the Pern books.

Post 8791

You can call me TC (wearing midnight)

Or Eoin Colfer's Hitchhiker's sequel. Didn't cut the mustard at all.

Key: Complain about this post