A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Meeting Someone with the same name as you

Post 1

towelshop

A strange thing happened to me in the doctors yesterday. The doctor shouted my name and two of us stood up. smiley - yikes I was thinking that this other lady had misheard what that doc had shouted so I quite politely said "I do believe he said Towelshop"smiley - winkeye

"I know" she politely replied "that's my name"

Confusion reined not helped by the doc, who only had to check address or DOB details but seemed to be stumped at having two of us there smiley - erm

I fully understand that there will be others with my name but I never expected to meet someone with it let alone in the doctors surgery going to see the same doctor, what are the chances of that happening?

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

My sister experienced almost exactly the same thing - her namesake wasn't in the room at the time but the namesake's records were - the doctor asked after my sister's gout* and confusion was quickly averted, luckily...

*say - it wasn't gout, but that illustrates the point, as my sister knew it definitely wasn't her record the doctor was reading even though the name was right.

smiley - cdouble

Post 3

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

My sister-in-law and I have the same initial, including the same middle name, our GP records have often been mixed up until they went over to computers.

lil x

Post 4

Bluebottle

As far as I'm aware, I'm the only person with my name on smiley - earth. My surname is an Isle of Wight surname that wasn't particularly popular in the Victorian era, with almost half the family wiped out by the Great War and the other half wiped out by the Second World War.

That said, I went to school with two Joanne Harris in my class, and my wife's mother and aunt both have the same name, middle name and surname - both her father and his brother married a lady called 'Sandra Ann ...' (originally different surnames).

<BB<

Post 5

Bluebottle

Oh, and my old assistant had the same name as his father - but that was deliberate, not a coincidence.

Are you Dave Gorman, by any chance?

<BB<

Post 6

towelshop

smiley - rofl no bluebottle I can't claim to be Dave Gorman, although after yesterdays confusion it has left we wondering how many people do have the same name as me. Maybe I should trek about the country like Dave Gorman meeting all the mes smiley - rofl. Whats even stranger is my first name is a shortened version my parents decided to christen me with the shortened version as they felt it would get shortened anyway so they'd just cut out the middle man.

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

I know there are at least two other people in Ireland with my name. One of them lives in a different part of the country, but the other studied in my city, so he may live here. With more than a million people in Dublin, the chances are small of me meeting him, but it may happen.

Mrs G's surname is not particularly common in Ireland, but despite this there is another person on our road with the same name as her.

Post 8

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

due to an uncommon sirname, I've never experienced this, and likely never will smiley - alienfrownsmiley - weird Father and Brother share the same name; at least when the initial is written out as a letter, rather than in full (differnt first names, same initial), which created much confusion a while back; Father had to get ' Financially divorced', from my Brother; as Brother's student debts, when they appeared, screwed up my Fathers credit rating smiley - snorksmiley - weirdsmiley - 2cents Having an unuseual sirname can be a drag though... always having to spell it out to people on the phone... repeat it in the Doctors surgery etc.... smiley - headhurts and then they still get it wrong. At one point my gas, electric, and water bills, all came to a differnt person; all variations of mispelling my surname smiley - laughsmiley - weird

Post 9

towelshop

Both my name's are not uncommon and easy to spell, yet I still find myself spelling them for people smiley - erm

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

There are three ways of spelling my first name and eight different spellings for my surname, so I often encounter different versions of my name.

Post 11

Superfrenchie

My Dad is a GP, so he sometimes sends people to hospital and the hospital sends him reports.

Except there's another Doctor Frenchie in the northern half of France, so sometimes the reports get mixed up and lead to the following :
*riiiiing*
My Mum - Hello?
A Voice - Are you Doctor Frenchie's wife ?
My Mum - Yeees...
A Voice - You're going to laugh, it's Doctor Frenchie speaking! I got a report for one of your patients, blah blah.
smiley - shrug

Post 12

Bluebottle

That reminds me, back in the days when I worked for the Bank of Scotland, I once had to phone the head office in Glasgow and speak to a Donald McDonald. When I phoned the switchboard and asked to speak to him I was asked which one, as apparently five worked there...

<BB<

Post 13

towelshop

smiley - rofl

Post 14

Bluebottle

There have briefly been two other Bluebottles on h2g2 (neither of which were me) - but I am the (un)original(?). h2g2's first one, anyway.

<BB<

Post 15

towelshop

We're you locked in a visious battle over your name? Is there only you left because you are the bloody Victor of the title Sir Blue of bottle? smiley - winkeye

Post 16

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I've been living with multiple instances of same-name syndrome [SNS?]. A famous radio announcer's popularity ensured that people would regularly ask if I was he.* He also had a son and namesake, born the same year as I. My mother was not exempt, either. A man with the same name ran for office in our county.

* My standard answer is that I wish I were, as I would be a good deal richer than I am now. Plus, he is now deceased, and I could write a bestselling book about the afterlife smiley - biggrin.

Post 17

towelshop

You could always say you are him but you have to keep it quiet otherwise you'll have to pay the insurance money back smiley - winkeye

Post 18

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

That's not the only down side. He supposedly ate oatmeal for breakfast every morning. That can get boring after a while.

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

Now that you're dead, you don't have to do that, though.

Post 20

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes
>> He supposedly ate oatmeal for breakfast every morning. <<

You're a Wilford Brimley?
http://www.celebslight.com/images/wilford-brimley-04.jpg
Uhm...
He's not dead yet though - the oatmeal keeps him ticking.

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Key: Complain about this post