A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

The Most Boring and Banal thread on H2G2

Post 25601

hammondorgan

So dolphins are whales then is that right? Strange coincidence, I'm wearing a Wales rugby shirt, I'm not Welsh but my Welsh mate Big Roger gave it to me, not a big rogering you understand, that's his name, he'd bought the shirt when intoxicated and found it was too small, I'm a 50 inch chest so it gives you some idea how big Roger is. I also see that Halfpenny probably Wales's most outstanding player currently is out of the Rugby world cup, which is a real shame for the young man and Wales, he got injured against the Italians at the weekend, real shame, I'm not being sarcastic I mean it, he's a great player who deserved his shot at a World Cup.

Post 25602

hammondorgan

I just fitted a new bell on my folding bicycle. The one that came with the bike wasn't fit for purpose really. It was just a little spring thing that dinged once, you had to flip it with your thumb. Anyways I got this other one cheap in a charity shop. it's blue with an "I love my bike" sticker on the top, and a big red heart. I can't make up my mind whether to attempt to peel the sticker off, as I feel a bit like Noddy, (I can't for the life of me remember what colour Noddy's bell was, or am I getting confused with the one on his hat?) Anyways, I'm worried I might make a mess of it if I try to take it off. Apart from that I'm very pleased with it, lovely ring.

Post 25603

Herenna - southpaw for now

Might I suggest that you buy some blue nail varnish? You can find it where teenage girls buy their make up, in chainstore chemists and paint over the sticker with it? Of course, enamel paint (of the type sold in tiny tins to hobbyists) would give a more lasting finish, but it would also take far longer to dry.

Post 25604

hammondorgan

Herenna, brilliant but I'm a 68 year old man, why would I be buying blue nail varnish? You know, I know but anyone else is bound to wonder. I could get some off Ebay, but how do I explain to my wife? Even she doesn't wear blue nail varnish. Actually I bought this clear extra hard stuff once, cos I play guitar a bit and hoped it would strengthen my nails, if you play finger style nothing is more maddening than breaking a nail, she said several things regarding my sexuality which were totally unnecessary, the kids next door think my bell is rather sweet anyway, thank you for your interest.

Post 25605

The type of place I meant is somewhere like boots or superdrug. The good news is that nail varnish favoured by teenagers tends to include more adventurous colours (not just shades of pink, red, or brown) and it's often cheaper than the ranges aimed at older women.

Post 25606

hammondorgan

I got an email from my ex workplace today. Inviting me to a leaving party for our administrator who is going to a new job. I've been retired just over a year, and it's nice they thought to ask me, but it's a bit depressing somehow. Also our old office base is moving, you know after a long working life, I worked from age 15 to 67, all kinds of jobs, draughtsman, technician, builder's labourer, barman, security man, the last 20 years or so I was a Social Worker, you know I struggle to think of a worthwhile thing I did, and I was good, committed conscientious, ethical, caring, did my career do anything but keep a roof over my head and feed the family? Maybe I'm just having a bad day. Maybe social problems just exist to keep people like me in a job, I think the Structuralist theory of Sociology says something like that, it's that long since I read any theory I'm not sure. Yes that's about right according to Wicky, goodness I must be depressed.

Post 25607

Do yourself a favour and watch "it's a wonderful life". You might not think you've done much with your life, but the world would probably be worse if you hadn't been in it at all.

Post 25608

And yes, hammondorgan, you probably are just having a bad day. Or possibly a bad week. Even if that doesn't immediately make it feel any better where you are right now.

If your work achieved nothing noticeably huge, at least you didn't spend your working days making people miserable, as traffic wardens and bailiffs do. IMHO there's a lot to be said for at least not increasing the amount of lowgrade misery in the world.

Post 25609

hammondorgan

Thanks Herenna, funny thing I was watching a quiz show on telly last night and there was a question about Florence Nightingale on there, apparently the first tenet of her philosophy of nursing was - first, do no harm! When you think of the wisdom behind that simple statement it's dazzlingly obvious. Thing is all interventions have potentially unintended consequences, there's no guarantee but you do your best for a good outcome for the person you're trying to help, if only it worked out that way!

Post 25610

hammondorgan

Well the long cold evenings are here, just the time for the old B and B thread to come into it's own. Nowt on the telly worth watching why not give in to the old ennui and post some colossally stultifying stuff on here. I think I'll go and listen to Whiter Shade of Pale just to get in the mood. What is your favourite piece of boring music? I couldn't care less really, just thought I'd ask cos I've nothing else to do.

Post 25611

hammondorgan

Something sad about replying to yourself but needs must. I just wondered if anyone else had used Pound Shop superglue? You get about 8 tubes for your quid, I find it's just as good as that Loctite stuff that costs around £3 a tube. The slidy thing that holds the shower head just broke, I've fixed it with £ shop glue and a Jubilee clip, actually the jubilee clip came from the pound shop as well, big blister pack of various sizes for a quid! I don't know how they do it. Also the rubber O ring had perished as well, and you'll never guess, I had a handy little box of assorted O rings in the shed, can you guess where I bought them? I'll give you a clue, they cost a quid.

Post 25612

Reality Manipulator

I have been avidly reading weather forum thread conversations and sites as predications of the winter weather in the UK and what I have found out so far nothing can be predicted by a certain due to the position of the UK.

Post 25613

hammondorgan

I think there is a high probability of snow at Christmas, I've noted that there are lots of Holly berries around. I love Christmas cards with scenes of people in coaches dressed in Edwardian clothes going across snowy landscapes, usually there's a pretty church in there as well, and often a Robin in a bush as well.

Post 25614

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

They said we probably won't get much snow because it will be a warm winter. They said we always get warm winters in Europe if El Niño is strong.

Post 25615

hammondorgan

I went into hospital for my long awaited knee surgery this morning, 7am. My op was put back a couple of hours cos they couldn't find my blood test results from yesterday. So I had to have a new blood test, they had to scour the hospital to find a house doctor who could do it. So I'm all gowned up with arrows drawn on my knee where they're going to operate. Then the anaesthetist decided that I needed to attend something called the sleep clinic and the op couldn't go ahead. This cos I'm a bit on the heavy side, I enquired mildly whether or not they had been aware of me weight beforehand, I've been going there for nearly a year now and had full pre-op screening. I don't want to name names, everybody is so darn nice and they admitted immediately it's their fault but this is probably the premier Orthopaedic facility in the country! Thing is I must have taken up hours of medical and nursing time, and of course scarce operating theatre space, and my knee will continue giving me serious gyp till they get it sorted, it is so boringly soul destroying! If anyone still reads this thread thank you for indulging my moaning.

Post 25616

hammondorgan

Countryfile is my candidate for the most boring show on television, and Matt Baker is surely the most ingratiating plonker that's ever floated to the surface of the slimepool from where the BBC dredge up their presenters. Oh and Andrew Marr, he's another one. Oh that Gareth Malone, he gets on my wick, and don't get me started about Alan Carr.

Post 25617

hammondorgan

Adrian Chiles, he's just annoying and deeply unpleasant, and Christine Bleakley, well I feel sorry for Frank Lampard.

Post 25618

HerennaSekunda

Last night, I came across some make up for covering tattoos, scars, moles etc and seriously thought about using it.

I'm not disfigured, it's just that, with the amount of moles I have, I might as well, at times, have a tattoo with my name on it as the pattern is quite distinctive.

It would, of course, take ages to cover all of them, but I'd be interested in the reactions of people who think they know me, if I posted one picture with blank skin and they were left trying to work out why it looked not quite the same as usual. smiley - evilgrin

Post 25619

hammondorgan

Herennah you're worrying too much, making a mountain out of a molehill so to speak! Differences are what make us interesting, have you read Stigma by Irving Goffman? It was obligatory reading when I did my Social Work degree, it all seems to have been forgotten these days, but read it and I defy anybody to regard themselves as 'normal' afterwards, we are all stigmatised, or stigmatise ourselves in some way, I'll put this link on at least it gives a précis of the book, Regards. http://sociology.about.com/od/Works/a/Stigma-Notes-On-The-Management-Of-Spoiled-Identity.htm

Post 25620

hammondorgan

This thread's been going since 2003, and seems to be on it's last legs!surely we're all a bit bored this festive season, the adverts are getting on my wick already, specially the John Lewis one. Computers, what could be more boring? Anyways just thought I'd say that I downloaded Windows 10, if you're stuck with the hideous Windows 8, I have to say Windows 10 is a heck of an improvement, that's what I find anyway, mind you I was quite happy with Vista.

Key: Complain about this post