A Conversation for Faculty of History, Philosophy and Spirituality

Project: The French Revolution

Post 1

Spiff

Your h2g2 name: Spaceman Spiff

Your h2g2 Researcher number : U185155

The page number (eg A123456) of your completed index page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A685668

The project title: The French Revolution, 1789-1799 (got to work out the precise 'end-date' but this ten year period is all within the project's range. Up to Napoleon become Consul for life, or something like that)

A description of the general subject that you'd like to cover.

A comprehensive series of articles introducing this crucial historical event and its aftermath, including introducing the fascinating people who made it all happen in their manifold different ways. It could be great, if done well; I'd love to have a go.

"Specific areas that you intend to cover within this subject. "

A brief overview of the historical background, key events, key players and consequences/historical significance. This needs to be compact and readable - an intro to a big subject. Lots of links to other project entries.

An individual entry on most of the key events. eg "The Fall of the Bastille, - Paris, 14th July 1789"; The "Jeu de Paume" Oath, (date); "The abolition of privileges"; "The night of 4th/5th August 1789" etc

An individual bio of as many key players as possible. "Danton", "Robespierre"; "Louis XVI" etc.

Various background pieces - reasons, philosophical trends, etc
"Jean-Jacques Rousseau and the French Revolution", 'Major trends in political thought prior to the French Revolution", etc

Some kind of analysis of the historical significance and consequences of the Fr Rev - Napoleon and -onic wars; Republicanism and the philosophical/political 'liberal' movements etc.

Your proposed start date: Today, January 25th, 2002.

Your proposed finish date. Well, that's the big thing isn't it? Ok, End of March sounds fair enough to me. Whadday say?

This subject does not appear to get any mention at all in the guide and I used to know quite a bit about it. I only hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew, coz there's lots of cool stuff to say! Any offers of collaboration gratefully received...

Post 2

World Service Memoryshare team

Sounds like a fantastic project. End of March sounds fine to me smiley - smiley I've put you in the department of history. Look http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A611218#history Let me know when you've finished. Good luck!

Post 3

Spiff

Er, hi, not sure if you will get this, but I have had to revise my timetable somewhat! smiley - blush

None-the-less, I have written quite a bit. Not much interest so far! smiley - biggrin.

I *did* have a sub-ed, but they dropped out. smiley - sadface

Any chance of a hint as to how to get some feedback on this thing?

I am going to try to dig out an old 'ask h2g2' thread I started ages ago...

fishing for feedback...

spiff

Post 4

World Service Memoryshare team

Hey Spiff,

Don't worry about the timing - the deadline can be extended. As for getting feedback, ask h2g2 is a good place to start, you could also try the Post, and there is an h2g2 historical society at A240058 but it seems to have faltered a little - although there are some active people in the threads - you could try them... Zarquon's Singing Fish is in there and she's a Scout, so could be a good person to try. And Demon Drawer is another good person to ask and there is the French Connection at A694497 a France appreciation society. How's that for starters?

smiley - smiley

Anna

Post 5

Spiff

Hi Anna, ta for the feedback smiley - cheers!

I had a look at the historical soc. Interesting stuff. Someone else did mention it to me, but I only took the hint second time round. I am wondering whether I might not ask them to feature my project as a section on their home page. I'd have thought it fits in quite well in it's own right, and I could hope to get some f/back about it before it gets accepted as a Uni Proj. Or maybe at least get some sub-edding done.

The two names you mention are familiar to me from PR, so maybe I'll mention it to them if and when the opportunity arises. Don't want to be labelled a spammer! smiley - yikes

I did try a thread in ask h2g2 but it sank without trace! smiley - yikes Understandable, I suppose, but I didn't really want to push it too much (like artificially dragging it bag up from the depths every now and then myself to keep it 'alive')

As for the French Connection, I'm afraid that's really mostly just l'il ol' me! smiley - laugh Spaceman Spiff - friend of the garlic-eaters!

There are one or two interested parties, but it's pretty quiet around there generally.

I did keep it up to date a little bit around the time of the pres elections, but elicited little response. smiley - sadface Not to worry, it's just a bit of fun. smiley - biggrin

anyway, as I say, thanks for your interest and advice, smiley - ok

seeya
spiff

Thread Moved

Post 6

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'The University Admissions Office' to 'Faculty of History, Philosophy and Spirituality'.

Project: The French Revolution - Abandoned

Post 7

Bluebottle

Researcher: U185155 - Spaceman Spiff

Project Page: A685668 - The French Revolution, 1789-1799

Entries:
A689204 - An overview of the French Revolution
A749964 - Pre-revolutionary France - The Ancien Regime
A865848 - The 1789 Revolution
A863066 - The Constituent Assembly 1789-1791
A866135 - The Legislative Assembly 1791-1792
A866153 - The Convention 1792-1795
A689204 - An overview of the French Revolution
A745832 - Glossary
A745300 - Louis XVI
A747218 - Marie-Antoinette
A694622 - L'Abbé Sieyès
A745076 - La Fayette
A689547 - Robespierre.
A689556 - St.Just
A689565 - Danton
A745012 - Marat
A747137 - Carnot
A750269 - Bailly
A750331 - Mirabeau
A745931 - The Terror
A745571 - The Committee for Public Safety
A747191 - The Diamond Necklace Affair
A745049 - The Fall of the Bastille
A746246 - The October Insurrection
A747696 - The Revolutionary Clubs
A745120 - The Arrest of the Royal Family at the Varennes
A745201 - Girondins
A781094 - Talleyrand
A750043 - Barnave, Duport et Lameth
A745238 - Brissot

Incomplete:
A745256 - Pétion
A750223 - The Abolition of Privileges
A750232 - The Declaration of the Rights of Man

Edited Entries:
A2903636 - The French Republican Calendar

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more