This is the Message Centre for Imaldris

Bear??!?

Post 41

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish(Deceased)

no his son's selligng/offering drugs

Bear??!?

Post 42

Ac-1D

tell him I'll buy some.

Bear??!?

Post 43

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish(Deceased)

why you talkin to me?
it's jenni he lives near

Bear??!?

Post 44

Imaldris

Free?

Beer

Post 45

Ac-1D

"Setting free the Bears" by John Irving (great book but not as cool as "The world according to Garp") I think he should follow up with a sequel "Setting Free the Beers". . . "Goldilocks and the free Beers"

Beer

Post 46

Yoda

Hello fellow book worms... I have another recommendation for Jim the Wonder Llama:
I have mentioned this author before, he is Stephen Donaldson (he wrote The Unbeliever books) and the series I am recommending is the Gap series, Its set in the future and in the vast distances between the Stars, the whole story is spread over five books with the first being the worst and the 4th and 5th being the best. Each book in the series has two names, the first is its actual name and the second being -"The Gap into..."- name. For example book one is called "The real story: The Gap into Ruin". It goes quite in depth with the characters, putting many of them thru hell and killing off several. The story is really about two little mentioned characters pulling the strings of the rest of the characters. The first book is definately the worst but for those that begin reading this series, I would recommend sticking with it, you will find it rewarding... So long all...

Beer

Post 47

Jim the Wonder Llama (back from yonder)

Thanks, I might have a look for Mr Donaldson for a Christmas read (in between revising, work and pub). Right now, I've not got much access to good reads, so I thought I'd read The Aprentice Adept series through for a third time (Piers Anthony).

Beer

Post 48

Imaldris

Adept. I'm impressed. Do you get Hi Piers his newsletter?? Very interesting stuff. So do we have a group consensus that all bookworms read their favorite (they don't have to be favorite they have to be there) multiple times. I've read most of my books so many times that I can recite paragraphs on whim. I'm on my fourth reading of the ULTIMATE Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. You know the oddest thing about the Guide books is that each time you read them you understand them better and tend to quote them more often. My normal phrase for this week is "i spent a month as a lemon. I jumped in and out of a huge gin and tonic. Where did you find this gin and tonic? I found a lake who thought it was a gin and tonic. "

All I need is a STIFFFFFF drink and a peer group.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( i added stiff!) :^)

Beer

Post 49

Jim the Wonder Llama (back from yonder)

No, I'm afraid to say I don't receive Hi Piers.

I took time out from the A.A. series to read some David Feintuch. I'm not sure where I heard it mentioned, but it's called the Hope series, starting with Midshipman's Hope (which is the one I read). It was an extremely compelling read. I found myself reading a lot of it from about 11pm through to 7am the next day, and then sleeping for most of the day. I thought it was fantastic, and can't wait to get my hands on the next in the series (I think it's called Commander's Hope, or something). Marks out of 10 - 8 I think. I would have given it more, but Mr Feintuch made me lose sleep.

Beer, oh dear

Post 50

Imaldris

Ah, you would have only slept. Sleep is much better during the day time anywho.

tolkien,pratchett,bradbury

Post 51

Setra Nath

i love tolkien, pratchett and bradbury

Post 52

Yoda

I read my first Bradbury novel about 2 weeks ago, It was the first of the new foundation books (Series: 1."Foundations Fear" by Bradbury, 2. "Foundation and Chaos" by G.Bear, 3. "Foundation's Triumph" by D.Brin). Of the series, I enjoyed the 2 and 3 the most. Though 1 was good, I felt it tried to act more of a build up to the other two books and thier authors than as a good book in its own right, half way through the book I found myself looking forward to the chapters with Hari in and dreading the chapters with the Sims. This is not a critisism of Mr. Bradbury however, the book was probably like this because it was laying the groundwork for the rest of the series.

Gota go. c ya.

Post 53

Yoda

Extra: I just read "Eye" by Frank Herbert (Dune author), it contains a series of short stories. The short story I really liked is "...Murder...", OK so I can't remember the exact title but it was good. I was about an alien entity who travels from world to world, arriving in a body from a previous world when that world gained interstellar travel and going to a primitive world where it would jump from host to host until that world gained interstellar travel. It was really fun to read even though it only lasted about 40 pages. Also some of the other stories were pretty good, each about different things but the roving entity one was the BEST.

Post 54

Imaldris

Sounds finteresting. I just read children of dune. Frank Herbert is a sick f**k. Bradbury is a great writer but sometimes he focuses on the artistic expression instead of any excitement. Ah well............I shall check into the eye.

Post 55

PowerEdic

none of the above get even close to tolkien , the father of fantasy as it is who wrote the bible to fantasy... no book no matter how great got to LOTR nees and to the hobbit (or there and back again) groin, what more DUne(the first one ) is the best SCI-fi ever written
u want to inlight ur knowing of tolkien... visit my page there are 2 works i did there and a third one on the way... the secound best FAntasy is probebly fionavar by gabriel key, and the secound SCIFI is the hitch hicker to the galaxsy novel whice orginality makes up to all the bad spots on it...
this is my home page plz visit http://www.h2g2.com/U114919

Curiously seeking quarantine.....

Post 56

Imaldris

Will you help turn on the lights in this everdark room of my mind full of books I've found myself wandering in. Sorta like trying to tell a blindman what the sunset looks like. But I will go and see.

Key: Complain about this post