A Conversation for Cary Grant -- The Perfect Gentleman?

Peer Review: A677018 - Cary Grant -- The Perfect Gentleman?

Post 1

Peter H

Entry: Cary Grant -- The Perfect Gentleman? - A677018
Author: Researcher 102784 - U102784

A great article on a great star!

A677018 - Cary Grant -- The Perfect Gentleman?

Post 2

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Wow - lots to take in there. I think this has the makings of a good entry, but it needs a little tidying up I suspect. You have a really strong conclusion (the para "He became ill ... at the age of 82"), but it comes towards the start of the piece. Would you be able to make things a little more chronological?

"His inventors name was Archie Leach, who bore his self-created image and its responsibilities as well as anyone made of flesh and blood could."

I'm not really sure what this means, to be honest. Would it be better to say "He took the name Archie Leach and created a personality around it; stardom was therefore transferred onto a fictional character from the start - a character that nevertheless bore his responsibilities as well as anyone of flesh and blood"?

"Today the legend is preserved in the form of a new statue erected in his home city."

You say much later on that he was born in Bristol, but it might be good to mention that here instead.

"Part cockney (he spent some time in South London), part Australian (he was often mistaken for one) and part West Country he was hard to place; but good enough to pass as a "non American" when required ..."

Again, this is a little confusing. Are you saying that his *accent* was all of these? It's possibly fairer to say "his accent came across as being part Londoner, part Australian, part mid-Atlantic" - "Cockney is specific to the East-End of London.

As I say, there's a lot of good research there, but at the moment it's a little lost because it reads more like a brainstorm. But with a bit of a tidy-up, this could be superb. Cary Grant definitely deserves an entry of his own.

Jimster

Post 3

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

This is really promising material, but I fear the author has left the building....

Are we up to flea market length yet?

Otto.

Post 4

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Doesn't LTB take three months?

Post 5

The GR Manoeuvre --- a posting a day keeps the reaper away

Bels, there was discussion on the Scouts' eGroup and it was decided to shorten the Flea Market rule to *two* months of silence. Another two weeks then smiley - whistle

Bossel (in GR mode)

Post 6

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

I was of course aware of the proposal, but hadn't realised that it had become a decision. Good.

Should the deed be done at the stroke of midnight smiley - huh

Post 7

The GR Manoeuvre --- a posting a day keeps the reaper away

Oh, ceremonies still have to be decided upon smiley - winkeye

Post 8

Post Team

<<./>ThePost</.> intruder alert>

Seeing as how I actually helped at the school which Jennifer (his daughter by Dyan Cannon) attended and met the charming man on a few occasions, would you guys object if I take this uner the Post wing and do a revamp/re-write?

</<./>ThePost</.> intruder alert>

shazz smiley - magic

Post 9

Post Team

(or under even! smiley - winkeye)

shazz smiley - magic

Post 10

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Sounds like a good plan to me!

smiley - smiley
Mikey

Post 11

Post Team

smiley - ok

shazz smiley - magic

Post 12

Post Team

smiley - ok

Sorry for the delay - I'll give this a shot this week!

shazz smiley - thepost

Key: Complain about this post