A Conversation for The Freedom From Faith Foundation

New member!

Post 3521

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

Hello, Friend Giskard.

"Hari Seldon is the prophet of the Galactic Spirit and Friend Daneel is an incarnation of the Galactic Spirit."

Does that make me your god?

New member!

Post 3522

R. Giskard Reventlov

No, not unless you are truely the Renegade. Only he is a god, and even he is not supernatural!

You should not use his name, blasphemer!

9, 81, 729, 6561

New member!

Post 3523

a Man from Mars

Time for dinner, I think. The posts are lost on me, making very little sense with no reference points. Check it out later
Bye for now.....I'LL be BACK .....governor of california

New member!

Post 3524

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

"The posts are lost on me, making very little sense with no reference points. Check it out later"

Well, R. Giskard Reventlov, R. Daneel Olivaw, and Hari Seldon are all characters in a series of science fiction books by Isaac Asimov.

R. Daneel Olivaw is sometimes called the Renegade.

In these books, a group of characters invent a god called the "Galactic Spirit" and claim that Hari Seldon is the Prophet of the Galactic Spirit

R. Giskard here asked to join the Freedom From Faith Foundation and seems to believe that those books are reality and is apparently a follower of the Galactic Spirit or something.

In search of a god?

Post 3525

a Man from Mars

Renegade,

Thanks for that, I would scroll back and get my head around all the fictitious names, if I have nothing better to do.... Worse than MI5.

Fact is stranger than [science]fiction....and aint that a fact! But Asimov knows where he is coming from. Out of nowhere!

"Inventing" a god though is so passe with so many out there.

Believe everything and you will know everything. Seems like a good plan, R.Giskard. Catch all.

It even sounds like a God plan.

what sort of god?

Post 3526

a Man from Mars

What sort of a god?

A valid question considering that the present ones do not work. I propose that a "Larry Flynt type with added benefits" would WORK very well.

A God has to be able to make people do things.....themselves. Sort of Empower them. Enable them ....by, at least turning them ON. Just push a button and bingo!!!! Bang!!!!!! You're THERE. A world of your OWN, where you can be a God and you REALISE the RESPONSIBILITY. It scares the bejaysus out of some. And humbles others, who realise the responsibility.

Say a prayer for this God!

Fortunately a God is NOT alone, he has gods with whom he can consult. Always a wise thing to do. A sort of Control Parameter to keep things on the straight and narrow.

Thank you. I have been needing to say that for some time. And I feel better because of it.

Good Morning Insomniacs!

Post 3527

Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Good Morning Martian smiley - biggrin.

All small kids are awesome. How long they remain awesome depends on how quickly we manage to crush the magic out of them. It is my duty as a father to try and keep the magic there for them as long as possible.

Ancient teachings are useful for they provide context and some wisdom from our ancestors. Those who do not study their past are condemned to repeat it - as the oft-quoted phrase goes.

However, you are right. For you to truly experience your own spirituality it must be here and it must be now. Religions, faiths, paths or whatever you wish to call them must be founded in the now, not in the then, or in the to come. They must grow with you, through you, because of you, even ahead of you, encouraging you to stretch further and grow greater in wisdom and love.

As for fornication, hey what could be more natural and magical? smiley - ok.

Blessings,
Matholwch /|\.

Good Morning Insomniacs!

Post 3528

a Man from Mars

Math,smiley - smiley Top of the morning to you, [I wonder where that expression came from]

It is sad that we realise the harm that we can do to our very own and our strength that we can recognise it. It is time to change peoples perception. To see what we see is to free them to be themselves and they will thank us, just by doing it. The news from New York today, after the powerout, is heartening and I hope that this episode will serve to further the feeling of friendship and cooperation, in exceptional circumstances, which has served them well through this truly amazing happening.... unrealsmiley - smiley

We have friends throughout the world who would like to help, to see what we see, for everyone. We must give them our encouragement and support to allow it to happen, and they, us. It will change the World, forever, for the better. We do it, Math, because it is free and we can. Who could wish for more?

Looks like another nice day. Time to relax in anticipation of my Lloyd George role latersmiley - biggrin

Ps Have you read the Diary of Bobby Sands 1981.....it can make people FEEL ashamed.....of themselves. It is one helluva message.

Good Morning Insomniacs!

Post 3529

Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Hi Martian smiley - smiley

"Ps Have you read the Diary of Bobby Sands 1981.....it can make people FEEL ashamed.....of themselves. It is one helluva message."

Yes I have, I was and it is.

Blessings,
Matholwch /|\.

New members!

Post 3530

GTBacchus

*breezes in, plops satchel next to podium, glances at clock, looks around, smiles at something, takes paper out of satchel, clears throat...*

Hello. smiley - smiley I would like to welcome our newest FFFF Board Members, who have applied during the last couple of weeks. (I hope I haven't missed anyone.)

smiley - star Chris the biologist: Lucretian Professor of Fluff and Dolphins and Other New Age Nonsense (To find out how Gullible you are, send me £5 for a searching questionaire.)

smiley - star Agnostic Primist (2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71): Head of the Department of Prime Numbers

smiley - star R. Giskard Reventlov: Chairrobot of the Seldon Institute for Psychohistory

Chris, Agnostic Primist, Giskard... welcome on board. smiley - cheers I trust you've already begun to make yourselves at home.

Sorry for the delay, everyone, I've been a bit swamped, trying to detangle the ethical from the aesthetic, and keep my grades up.

GTB

New member!

Post 3531

Inverted Solipsist

Looks like they didn't accept M.A.L-3.

They accepted some other people, including "Chris the biologist", "Agnostic Primist", and "R. Giskard Reventlov". R. Giskard definately applied after M.A.L-3.

I guess this means they don't want him. I wonder why not.

New member!

Post 3532

azahar

Hi Inverted Solopsist,

This thread isn't about people wanting or not wanting members. Or especially that new members should need to feel 'accepted'. Everyody is welcome. At least, that is my take.

No doubt GTB just missed MAL3's posting. But it isn't only GTB's job to welcome new people here - we can all do that. Really, it should be up to all of us as members to welcome newcomers. smiley - smiley

So - hi MAL3! And welcome. I see you are a friend of Fnord's, who is also a very good friend of mine. And so make yourself at home and feel free to talk about anything you like.

az

New member!

Post 3533

GTBacchus

There's really no question of "accepting" new members or not. I must have missed M.A.L-3's posting. I'll just look for it now.

New member!

Post 3534

GTBacchus

Azahar, that's right. Everyone's welcome here - we only ask that you "be excellent to each other". All I do is add names to the roster when I notice New Member posts lying around.

New member!

Post 3535

GTBacchus

wihtout further ado...

smiley - disco *FANFARE* smiley - disco

Welcome,

M.A.L -3: The Chair of Polished Wood

to the FFFF. smiley - cheers Your name has been added to the roster, all the appropriate paperwork has been filled out, and we can start drinking now.... oh. Some of us have already started, I see. smiley - winkeye

New member!

Post 3536

azahar

GtBacchus,

>>all the appropriate paperwork has been filled out, and we can start drinking now.... oh. Some of us have already started, I see<<

Was I *that* obvious? (hic) smiley - winkeye

az

New member!

Post 3537

a Man from Mars

It is good to meet a Man who can enjoy himself.smiley - smileysmiley - biggrin

New member!

Post 3538

Inverted Solipsist

"There's really no question of "accepting" new members or not. I must have missed M.A.L-3's posting. I'll just look for it now."

I realize that. When Fnord welcomed MAL, he said "welcome--if you're accepted", so I thought it would be funney to remind everyone that MAL hadn't been greeted by responding to that joke with another one.

Good Morning Insomniacs!

Post 3539

Albaus

Hi there

Having read this post I feel I should clarify something also.

>About three pages back I think it was Az who stated that she didn't feel that I was anti-christian. Nice assumption Az, but not entirely correct.......As those of you who have talked to me before know I bear no malice against christians as individuals. I'll even goes as far as to say that I have friends who are active christians......
I believe christianity is, at its philosophical heart, a wicked religion that glorifies a merciless and sadistic deity. It is a faith that encourages spiritual slavery and the abdication of responsibility. It is dogmatic and intolerant in its theory and its application.

I have to say I agree. When I said that it was basically true that I am not anti-christian, I should have added, I am not anti-christian, merely anti-religion. I feel that most religions are at their hearts "wicked and glorifying a mericiless and sadistic deity"....and etc. and do not generally single christianity out in particular.

Sorry if I wasn't clearer earlier, I had a few other things on my mind.

Regards

Good Morning Insomniacs!

Post 3540

azahar

hi Albaus, smiley - smiley

Yes, it was me who assumed or presumed or whatever that both you and Matholwch were not 'anti-Christian'. And Math wrote back telling me I was totally wrong in this assumption. And now you are doing the same.

Fair enough.

I also said that I thought the world would be a better place if religions didn't exist. So I guess this makes me 'anti-religion' as well.

Thing is, I cannot feel your same anger (and Math's) towards the Christian religion. Even though I was brought up as RC and found it was a total nightmare. Perhaps I am being far too naive, but I think it is people who first created these religions and then warped them beyond recognition, from perhaps the original intention. But there are still quite good things to be found within all religions, and myths. You see, I do think of all religions as being myth, so in this sense I don't take it all so personally - NOW. When I was a small chld of course I could not differentiate between allegory and fact. And that's why I said that I thought the RC religion should not be something ever shown to small children.

>>I believe christianity is, at its philosophical heart, a wicked religion that glorifies a merciless and sadistic deity. It is a faith that encourages spiritual slavery and the abdication of responsibility. It is dogmatic and intolerant in its theory and its application. <<

I mostly go along with that. But I think that within all that weirdness, some Christians do find something there that speaks to them, something that adds meaning and purpose to their lives. They don't need to take the whole package deal, but just what suits them. And I think I can understand people needing and wanting to do that. For those that feel they need some sort of religion in their lives. I don't. But I'm not everybody. And so I cannot judge or criticize people who feel they need some sort of religion in their lives.

Personally, I think the Holy Bible is a load of crap, especially the OT bit. But lots of the teachings of Jesus seem to me quite sound and humane. It doesn't matter that they had all been said before. They were presumably said by this person. Just made for another book to be written, I reckon.

So I guess I am not so much anti-religion as anti-what-people-end-up-doing in the name of their own particular God and religion.

az

Key: Complain about this post