A Conversation for Philip Larkin

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A187534 - Philip Larkin

Post 1

dreamweaver

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A187534

Would be interested in any feedback on this short piece. I think Philip Larkin wrote some spot on observational poems and deserves a wider audience. Am also trying the Peer Group directions to see if I've followed the instructions correctly. Please don't bin me without telling me where I've gone wrong!

A187534 - Philip Larkin

Post 2

Spiff

Hi Dreamweaver,

this link doesn't seem to be working! smiley - sadface

A187534 - Philip Larkin

Post 3

dreamweaver

Thanks - followed instructions and link looks ok - do you have any suggestions as to what's wrong or where I go for help. Am finding it easy to get lost here smiley - smiley

A187534 - Philip Larkin

Post 4

Spiff

Hi there Dw smiley - smiley

Have you tried clicking on your link? I got a bunch of stuff, but no PL! smiley - sadface

Try this:

- go to your space

- place the mouse-arrow over the link

- right-click

- copy the link by pressing the 't' key once

- then return to this thread and post a reply

- in the text box, hit 'return' a couple of times (just to make a bit of space above) and then place the mouse arrow over the text box

- right-click

- hit the 'p' key once to paste the link into your posting

- mission accomplished! smiley - ok and no chance of making a mistake in typing the link! Whahay! smiley - biggrin

- now you can fill in your message around the link and hit 'post message'

Good luck! smiley - ok

Spiff

A187534 - Philip Larkin

Post 5

dreamweaver

Hi there spaceman, thanks for advice, hope this works, let me know? Cheers
smiley - smiley

and if anyone else is browsing around these pages, I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A663383

A187534 - Philip Larkin

Post 6

Spiff

Hi again Dw, I see you got it sorted! smiley - ok

I enjoyed reading this piece about PL and I think it is well-written, informative and interesting. Full marks for meeting the guidelines smiley - biggrin. You can be pretty sure of edited status with this, I think.

Do you really want to do a definitive bio with this piece? If so, I would have thought you might include more biographical details, especially on his life pre-Hull.

You convey a nice sense of the relationship between poet and city and I love that, but there is little on his background, academic career, and early work. How did he come to be published and what was the nature of the early criticism that you mention? I like the para where you talk about some of the 'Hull' poems, but I feel we want to hear more about the poems. One idea could be to dedicate a para to each published collection and talk about some of the poems each contains.

Generally, I felt that the piece lacked a sense of PL's development, in life and in his writing. In life, it seems there may be a good reason for this, as he comes across as a rather sedentary individual (good man! smiley - smiley), but even so, this fact might be worth commenting on or explaining. I feel sure there is more that could be said about his writing, too.

Hope you won't take any of this as negative. smiley - smiley I definitely think you're onto a winner here, I just think you could afford to be more expansive. Of course, you may not want to, and you may be right not to.

Seeya
Spiff

A187534 - Philip Larkin

Post 7

Spiff

Ahoy!

Anyone there?

A187534 - Philip Larkin

Post 8

dreamweaver

Hi there, thanks for comments, agree with you but didn't want to make it too long, little is always more likely to be read than more? Just aimed to trigger interest - will it still be ok as it is?

A187534 - Philip Larkin

Post 9

Spiff

Well, it's certainly up to the stand of your average piece that goes into Peer Review. Why don't you post it there and see what others have to say.

It can be useful to put things into WW and get some feedback, but it can be a bit quiet in here! You can be sure you will get more response in PR.

I think it probably could be picked as it is, though I also think it could yet be improved. As for avoiding being too long, I can see what you mean but I *do* think you could afford more details in one or two places here.

Up to you, of course. smiley - smiley

Seeya
Spiff

A187534 - Philip Larkin

Post 10

Spiff

No sign of the author, but this had the makings of a good EG entry... smiley - sadface

can i suggest at worst that it should go to the Flea Market, or at best that someone should polish it up and shove it thru PR?

spiff

A187534 - Philip Larkin

Post 11

AlexAshman

In my opinion this should be moved from the Writing Workshop to the Flea Market.

A187534 - Philip Larkin

Post 12

AlexAshman

Note: This Entry has been seconded (F43882?thread=3835955) has been added to a list of Writing Workshop removals. The Entry will hopefully be removed shortly, after which I will submit it to the FleaMarket.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more