A Conversation for The h2g2 Doctor Who Group

Doctor Who

Post 5101

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

A few moments of genius but lackluster overall. I quite agree. I saw Blink again the other day. It is brilliant!

Doctor Who

Post 5102

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Now here's a point: John Hurt appears to be being identified widely as an incarnation between Doctors 8 and 9. However, I've seen trailers for the upcoming special in which Matt Smith is repeatedly referred to as "Eleven", so they are not re-numbering them. What's going on there?
This could see the return of my first reaction: that John Hurt was a Doctor yet to be incarnated, but whose actions the previous Doctor/s is/are aware of because they are so significant and/or for plot-specific reasons.

Doctor Who

Post 5103

Geggs

Interesting. I was wondering whether he might be the zeroth Doctor, if such a thing is possible. It would seem to be if we accept Lungbarrow as canon.

Geggs

Doctor Who

Post 5104

Bluebottle

I had assumed that John Hurt was supposed to be the Valeyard incarnation of the Doctor - but then he could be an evil Watcher.

But to be honest, the explanation could be anything that Steven Moffet decides.

If the doctor's hand can regenerate into a Doctor, what about his hair or toe nails? The possibilities are almost endless.

<BB<

Doctor Who

Post 5105

Mol - on the new tablet

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22741493

Maybe he's the *next* incarnation ...

OK perhaps not really an OMG moment - I'm not particularly surprised - but the reference to the months of fevered speculation that have now started is spot on.

Mol

Doctor Who

Post 5106

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I'll be sorry to see him go. A whole season (or even more) with John Hurt as the Doctor would be amazing, though.

Doctor Who

Post 5107

summerbayexile

Very sad to see Matt Smith go. I was expecting it as soon as he got the role in the Ryan Gosling film, but still unwelcome news. The series has been getting by on his brilliant portrayal for the last two years at least as the stories have been largely underwhelming.

I would like to see an older Doctor, but the audience would no longer relate to the Hartnell/Pertwee type, so I would favour either of the Merlin leads. Colin Morgan would be an impish Doctor in the Smith vein while Bradley James would be a quick-witted/heroic Doctor in the Tennant vein. As a real left field choice I would love to see Philip Glenister as the Gene Genie of space! smiley - biggrin

Doctor Who

Post 5108

Deb

I was shocked that Matt Smith's been in the role for four years. I didn't realise it had been that long. Tempus is fugitting faster these days!

I'll be sorry to see him go, but not gutted like when Christopher Ecclestone left. Philip Glennister would certainly be an interesting choice, a sarky, sweary doctor constantly asking his companion to make him tea smiley - biggrin.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Doctor Who

Post 5109

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Philip Glennister?

Oh, yes please, that would just be *so* smiley - cool

Doctor Who

Post 5110

summerbayexile

I'm the Doctor, I'm buggered if I know what bloody time it is in this stupid box and I'm 'aving 'oops!! The popular movement starts here! smiley - biggrinsmiley - winkeye

Doctor Who

Post 5111

Mol - on the new tablet

I imagine they'll do the casting via a talent show hosted by John Barrowman. My brother is favouring 'Any Who Will Do' for the programme title.

smiley - winkeye

Mol

Doctor Who

Post 5112

"Yer surrounded by unarmed b*****ds!"

Once upon a time, Eddie Izzard got a lot of support among the Whovian crowd. Does he still cut the mustard?

Doctor Who

Post 5113

summerbayexile

Never understood the original clamour. Decent actor in one off or supporting roles but highly doubt he could carry a whole series. It will no doubt be someone we've not really heard of before if precedent is anything to go by. The important thing will, initially at least, be the ability to work with Jenna Louise Colman as she has already signed on for the next series.

Doctor Who

Post 5114

Now here's an interesting thing:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22906858

I don't know if it's editing or Neil himself that didn't say it outright, but what's in there is heavily implying that he wasn't as pleased with his second Who episode.

Doctor Who

Post 5115

summerbayexile

Funnily enough I'm in the very small minority who couldn't understand the fuss about his first episode. I really didn't like 'The Doctor's Wife' at all. To me it was dull and uninvolving, but each to their own as they say. Not sure Neil Gaiman can really write for the character, but what do I know?

Doctor Who

Post 5116

SiliconDioxide

Perhaps he was embarrassed by the three move chess gambit. It would hardly take the combined might of the cybermen army to figure out that it was a bluff. The cybermen learned in a very Borg-like way when attacked; perhaps on their way to becoming hyper-evolutionary beings?

Doctor Who

Post 5117

Bluebottle

But what if it was a Fenric-like pieces change sides 3 moves from checkmate?

<BB<

Doctor Who

Post 5118

SiliconDioxide

It is questions like that that remind me how far outside of deep Who-lore I lie, even if my Eternal Champion's companion role for Clara was pretty close to the truth.

Doctor Who

Post 5119

Bluebottle

12th Doctor Announced on Sunday - 7pm on BBC1!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23531724

<BB<

Doctor Who

Post 5120

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Will watch with interest...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more