A Conversation for Marx and Marxism [ proposal ]

Marx and Marxism

Post 1

Dogster

Hello everyone. I was thinking that it would be nice to have an entry on what Marx actually said so that people don't think he was some sort of raving authoritarian lunatic. However, I'd probably need a bit of help on this. I was thinking of an entry which covered the following points: Marx's speculative philosophy (e.g. the ideas of alienation, dialectical materialism, etc.), Marx's economic theory (surplus value, etc.), followers of Marx and, crucially, how they differ from him (this could include a bit about communism).

I could probably manage the bit about his speculative philosophy, but I'm not particularly well up on his economic theory or the body of work of his followers, so anyone with some expertise in either of these, please let me know. I'm not thinking of a particularly technical article because that wouldn't be very suitable for the guide, something more like "Marx for Dummies" smiley - smiley.

Marx and Marxism

Post 2

Martin Harper

I find this a fascinating topic, though I confess I know very little about it... smiley - sadface

Marx and Marxism

Post 3

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

How about the central tenet of Marxism: 'To each according to their needs, from each according to their ability'. As opposed to the opposite, which was fashionable for the while in the 1980's.

Marx and Marxism

Post 4

Dogster

I guess I'll wait a while and see if some knowledgeable Marx expert turns up. If they don't then in a while I'll write a less ambitious piece giving a bit of detail about his speculative philosophy, nothing about his economic theory and a tiny bit about the history. It would be a shame not to have a more comprehensive entry though.

Thread Moved

Post 5

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'The Collaborative Writing Workshop' to 'Peer Review Sin Bin'.

Thread moved because we're tidying up the review forums prior to fully automating the process, so any invalid threads have been moved.

Thread Moved

Post 6

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review Sin Bin' to 'Marx and Marxism [ proposal ]'.

Back to Entry. Exciting topic full of potential, but easier to start to scratch.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more