A Conversation for John Creasey - Simple Facts

JOHN CREASEY

Post 1

Researcher 186688

How, I mean, how, did he write this many book, forget creativity for a moment, physically how did he write this massive amount in this many decades????????????? I'm no mathmatician but I worked it out to be cranking out a book per week. Is this right? I can't believe the speed. Can you tell me more about how he wrote?

JOHN CREASEY

Post 2

Researcher 186688

i said i was no mathmatician, one a month then.

JOHN CREASEY

Post 3

Richard

That question was asked so often, usually by journalists. And my Dad always told them that they probably wrote just as many words as he did but that they threw most of them in the bin.

But just so that you get an idea. He worked a scheduled day. As I remember it, but remember I was pretty young it was: Up at 6.00. In his study by 7.00. Breakfast at 8.30. Tea break at 11.00. Lunch at 12.30 Afternoon tea at 3.30. Tea, as we always called dinner, at 6.30. And then I was in bed. During the time in between he wrote, but not as I remember it obsessiviely. He answered all telephones. Answered all mail. Paid all the bills. Went to Rotary lunch every Monday. Revised other books etc etc.

How many books? In one, exceptional, year he wrote 36 full length books. But his average was twelve to fifteen a year. Ten days a book was more than enough time!

The remarkable thing though is that most are really, really, good. He thought of them much in the same way as a script writer might think of writing a first class soap. They were written to be read during a two to three hour train journey, from say Manchester to London.

JOHN CREASEY

Post 4

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

I have found all the information about John Creasey fascinating. I'd also like to thank Richard for the riveting diary of his journey from London to New York, I am incredibly envious of such a momentous road trip. Congratulations!

JOHN CREASEY

Post 5

Richard

That's very kind. And you are absolutely right to be "incredibly envious of such a momentous road trip". It was terrific, and looking back with 20/20 vision it was even better!

JOHN CREASEY

Post 6

KateCreasey

Richard my father Peter Creasey is your fathers great grandson, and i was asked by my dad to find out information about him and ended up finding you, we would love to chat. we are in australia.
cheers

JOHN CREASEY

Post 7

Richard

Hello Kate
I can't quite get my head around your Dad being my Dad's great grandson, or the fact that you found me via h2gw. But great to be in touch.
Did my parents visit your grandfather in 1952 when he was in Australia by any chance.
Best
Richard

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for John Creasey - Simple Facts

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more