A Conversation for Writing Guidelines

Can Something come from Nothing?

Post 321

Snikkers

That's the worlds problem... remember when the earth was flat? Who doesn't?!? I think in 100 or 1000 years people will be laughing at us for even dare to ask that question because then everybody will know that nothing exist...
How do you even know I exist? Well, I'm talking to you, but before that I didn't exist in your mind, I was nothing... Nothing will be nothing until we discover it! =)

Post 322

Pandora

But Snikkers (note the spelling smiley - winkeye), just because you didn't exist in my (our) mind(s)...dosen't mean that you didn't exsit! You were just someplace else. I keep flopping back & forth on this... I do not believe-tonight anyway-that there is such a THING as nothing! How can there be? Just because we can't see a lepton or an atom (with the naked eye) dosen't mean they arn't all over the place! In fact we know they are! So, just because we don't know about something is a mute point. And I hardly think anyone would ever laugh at us for asking this question! Everything man comes up with begins as a thought! The smart people wonder & argue...the one's who don't bother to explore & learn are to be pitied! How will they ever grow? HEY...are you trying to tell me the World ISN'T flat?!? smiley - winkeye Next you'll be trying to say the moon isn't made from cheese smiley - tongueout

Post 323

Snikkers

Well, I just wrote a big essay about some stuff, but my puter froze.. =/ I am going to try again...
This one will not be about the topic, this will be about Big Bang. I feel like I've done this before (on this forum maybe =) but I'm going to do this. And I'm starting now...
Every galaxy has its' own black hole. And you all know what black holes do, they 'eat' stuff. They make things disappear. (Maybe what goes in a black hole comes out in a white hole, but maybe it will turn into nothing). But when the black hole has eaten all the galaxy, and all the other black holes has finished their galaxies, there is nothing left except some black holes who will eventually start eating each other. When they've all eaten each other there is just one big mass. This mass will explode because of it's magnitude and there we have Big Bang. The destroyer and structure of the universe. Yes?
Yes.
And if you take my other theory about how things started, and add it behind this one, you'll see that the universe is endless. How can you say that there is no such thing as nothing in an endless universe? There must be!!
And finally, I'm not going to comment anything on the moon. I did once, (not here though, but I did anyway) and that was about how funny it is that we blame the moon for flood and ebb...
So have a nice cheese.. oops.. day =)
(I did notice the spelling =)
Check out my homepage, just got updated again! Http://snikkers.cjb.net Now it's got frames and everything...

Post 324

Pandora

I surely could debate the moon w/you!!! But I'll let it go & go check your new stuff! Keep up the good work Snikkers...even tough I do NOT agree w/you! To each, his own...smiley - winkeye

Post 325

Researcher 129968

A hole.

If you dig a hole, then, in essence, you are taking someting away leaving nothing. However, if you - pointing to your work - asked a passer-by to describe the end point of your toil, they would give it a name: a hole.

Since anything with a name must exist, then it is technically a something.

Ergo: Something has come of nothing. If there is one exception to the rule that something cannot come of nothing, then there is no reason that there could not be many more.

Just a thought.

Post 326

alicat (Patron Saint of Good Taste)

Can someone start a new thread? This forum takes way too long to go through. smiley - smiley I don't know how to do it, or i would. Hi Pandy, hi Snikkers. smiley - smiley

Post 327

Snikkers

Join me at : The return of "Can Something Come From Noting?": Part II
There we can talk again, and it'll take not as long time for us to get there =)
Hello to you alicat =)

Post 328

alicat (Patron Saint of Good Taste)

Hi Snikkers. I like your homepage. Thanks for the new forum. The new link is http:www.h2g2.com/F7190?thread=61682

Post 329

LizardLady

"Nothing" IS something---for example, when I ask my child "What did you do in school today?" and he replies "nothing".
The brain cannot conceive "nothing", therefore it does not exist.
Perhaps it can only be inferred by the things that surround it---a black hole in the midst of reality, a tear in the fabric of the universe. It is still threfore, SOMEThING.
Lizard Lady

Post 330

Pandora

Makes sense to me! Please join us, Lizard Lady, at the shorter, new thread...the thread # is just above your post here...or you'll find it on my Home Page...I think it's called 'The Return of Can Something Come From Nothing'...but I could be wrong, that happens to me alot! Hope to see you there & here more of your wisdom!!!

Post 331

Bagpuss

Love is actually physical, in way. It doesn't come from the heart, it comes from the brain. There are certain parts of the brain which remain inactive for the greater part, but when upon meeting one you are attracted to, these parts suddenly come alive and go mad! I suppose, the more they go mad, the more you are attracted to someone and this attraction is called love. But why only a particular group of people, why do they produce those chemicals? Go back into DNA? Getting a bit deep for me, but we do have minds, which means that there is always that possibilty of chaos - therefore maybe love can spring from nothing, with a little something thrown in smiley - winkeye

Explain this One then

Post 332

Bagpuss

Something I have always wondered about - money.

Where did that come from - it has no actual worth, except what are perceptions tell us they are - so why do we lay such value to it?

Explain this One then

Post 333

Pandora

Just something to barter with..easier than hauling around a pig or mulesmiley - winkeye Please bring your wisdom to the newer shorter therad...you'll find it just a couple posts above yours or you'll find it on my Home Page. (As for love...did you know that we actually become addicted to eachothers spit?!? smiley - sadface TRUE) I swear!!! That's one reason it's hard to get over a love...even if it's been awful! Hope to see you on the new-short thread!!! Pan

Post 334

Prince of Nox

please do not forget that partcle and anti particle met together (like opposite waves) eleminate but leave a lot of energy - pure energy. energy isn't nothing

Post 335

Will Jenkins (Dead)

Take the hole in the middle of a POLO for instance. Pure Energy!

Post 336

Pandora

PLEASE JOIN US AT THE NEW, SHORTER THREAD REGARING THIS TOPIC: http:www.h2g2.com/F7190?thread=61682 THANK YOU.....HOPE TO MEET YOU THERE~Pan

Proof that a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness

Post 337

Almighty Rob - mourning the old h2g2

A ham sandwich is indeed better than eternal happiness

1) Nothing is better than eternal happiness
2) A ham sandwich is better than nothing
3) Thus, a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness.

Yes, this is fallacious, but it does demonstrate the problems with terminology in argument, particularly concerning concepts like "nothing", "everything" and "all-powerful and omniscient God"...

cheers
Rob

Proof that a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness

Post 338

Pandora

"I'd like to thank you for joining us at the shorter thread! ROFL!!!!"

"Is whipping a dead horse legal? Hmmm...is a dead horse nothing, or is it still something because it once was? Oh, thanks alot Rob...now I'll never get to sleep!" smiley - winkeye

Post 339

Skylion, Muse of Hockey and Comic Books and Keeper of the Corner of the Laughing Dog.

Strange String of Talk, here. Of course something can come from nothing. It all depends on how you view nothing. If you take nothing as an oblivious state-a state devoid of all things-then you are in trouble. By obseving anything you change it. The nothing you have observed changed from nothing to something observed. Is this just word play? Why yes it is. But look deeper into this. That oblivious state. Did you know of it's existence before you observed it? No you did not. Not until the moment of observation. Since our senses rely upon seeing, smelling, hearing, tasting, or tactilizing somthing, we have limits. Or do we? Faith and belief play a huge role in it. "Nothing is there, I just know it. I'm gonna go take a gander. Hey, look, nothing there." A simple exersise. But wait. "I'm here. Am I nothing. I have a belief that I exist. That nothing I saw, It has a little of me in it." Philosophical debates often say that we are made of our senses. They make us, and we make the world. Ideas are not tangible. Senses cannot penetrate them. Nothing and Something are ideas. But what springs from ideas? Everything. Thought to action. Still a very simple theorum. But sometimes it is best to have faith in those simple, small things. It helps keep the big stuff in perspective.

Post 340

Pandora

"What you said!" smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post