This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

NaJoPoMa, Around the world in 30 ways, Day 29

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Since our next destination was the monorail at John F Kennedy Airport, Scribbles decided to focus on Queens, the borough that the airport was located in. On our way out of Manhattan, though, we caught one more historic spot: City Hall Subway Station, which was designed in 1904 as the showpiece of the then-new subway system, with Romanesque Revival architecture. Passenger service was stopped in 1945, but it's still used as a turning loop for the trains on Line 6. It comes just after the last stop -- Brooklyn Bridge.

In Queens, we enjoyed looking at the Unisphere, Corona Park's mammoth steel globe designed for the 1964 World's Fair. We also visited the Louis Armstrong House Museum and the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge.

Finally we boarded the Airtrain at Jamaica Station. This monorail runs everywhere around the John F Kennedy Airport -- terminals, parking lots, hotel shuttle areas, and rental car places. It is a free service that runs continuously, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

As we entered the train and sat down, the woman in the next seat exclaimed, "Paddington Penn, fancy meeting you here!"

A look of surprise came over Scribble's face. "I haven't been addressed by my given name in years," he said, scrutinizing her face.

"I'm Emma Rita Lane. We were in Middle School together. The others called you Pad 'n' Pencil..."

"I had a teacher in high school who saw me scribbling notes as fast as possible, and he called me Scribbles. The name stuck," Scribbles acknowledged. Soon the two were catching up on what had happened since then.

We took several circuits around the airport, and finally transferred to a shuttle that took us to Sheradhilt Hotel JFK, where we'd be spending the night.

Post 2

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 3

Reality Manipulator

I love the explanation on how Scribbles got his name.smiley - coolsmiley - cheerssmiley - ok

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

His parents picked the name with the hope that he'd be a writer. Their wish came true.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more