This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

NaJoPoMa, Around the world in 30 ways, Day 25

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"Your numbers are down," Scribbles said as our plane wended its way toward Richmond.

"Does anyone know why?" I asked.

"Yes. Bostonians are your biggest fans, and right now they'd rather watch the Patriots win football games than follow your adventures on river boats and helicopters. They like to watch figure skating at the Winter Olympics, but you chose *roller* skating for today's
activity."

"I'm no whiz on *any* kind of skate."

"They'd respect you for trying, though. Incidentally, when we asked if you'd consider ice skating, you said 'I'll wait for hell to freeze over.'"

"I was willing to ride in a golf cart."

"But you don't play golf. Anyway, I have a devious plan to regain the attention of your fellow Bostonians: we'll arrange for you to get injured."

"It's bound to happen anyway. Why go to the trouble of arranging it?"

"Photo opportunities and sound bites. A local stunt coordinator will train you to have a colorful mishap -- which I will film -- and the goodhearted Bostonians will be anxiously following your recovery. You'll need a wheelchair for tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner in Washington, D.C. 'I'm thankful it wasn't worse,' you'll tell the camera as you feast on turkey and cranberry sauce."

And that is how, five minutes into my session at a roller-skating rink in Richmond, I made a spectacularly klutzy [even for me] fall that was followed by a doctor (played by the stunt guy) telling me to use crutches or wheelbarrows for the next two days. I spent the rest of the day on a bus tour, seeing the Virginia Capitol Building, Monument Avenue, and the exteriors of several museums.

Post 2

smiley - doh

I most definitely did *not* mean "wheelbarrows" at the end of that entry. I meant wheelchairs. smiley - blush

Post 3

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

You had me wondering for a second. I thought it lent a special touch to your story smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Yeah, I liked the wheelbarrow bit. smiley - laugh

Post 5

Reality Manipulator

It would be great if there was a wheelbarrow race added to the Thanksgiving activities.smiley - oksmiley - magicsmiley - biggrin

Post 6

I did originally intend to use wheelbarrows, until I found out about the monorail at JFK Airport in New York. I can't not include a monorail ride.

Post 7

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more