Update on pumpkins and squashes

Post 22

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

"Zucchinis to go" may become the newest craze smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Post 23

Reality Manipulator

I have only had zucchini's in a stir-fry. I wonder if they can be stuffed as it would make a lovely autumn dish. I have only seen the smaller zucchini's in the shops.

I love pumpkin and squash, my dad grew them when we were living in SW Scotland, they were delicious. I find them difficult to prepare due to the arthritic like pain and stiffness in my fingers which makes using kitchen utensils very difficult to use. I am looking to invest in arthritis kitchen utensils.

Post 24

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I've had stuffed zucchini. smiley - smiley It's a good dish. Lots of recipes available online, take your pick.

Post 25

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"I have only had zucchini's in a stir-fry" [Thinker]

Raw zucchini is great, too. Slice a zucchini into spears, then dip them into hummus or any kind of dip. smiley - drool

Post 26

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I second that. smiley - smiley And recommend a creamy salad dressing such as yoghurt or bleu cheese.

Post 27

Reality Manipulator

Thank you Dmitri and Paul for your kind culinary advice and tips.smiley - oksmiley - magic

Post 28

I can bake a good smiley - cake (if I do say so myself) using a lot of zucchini in my baking pan. It's usually cinnamon flavoured and very spongy smiley - drool

smiley - pirate

Post 29

This afternoon I donated my biggest smiley - pumpkin to the Park's office as a display. smiley - smiley

Post 30

You can call me TC

You can stuff larger ones with any mincemeat concoction, sprinkle them with cheese and bake them as a main course. (Parboil the halved courgettes first, as baking is not always enough to cook them through)

Smaller ones can be stuffed with various mixtures of cheese, nuts, other vegetables for a starter or a vegetarian main course.

I have a whole book of recipes - soups, antipasti, salads, breads, cakes. The other night I grated some and put them in a pancake batter and made rissoles. Very quick, and a meal in itself. Well, I say quick .... they should be cooked right through if you don't want them bothering you later on and that can take a good few minutes each side.

Post 31

On Corfu I got the house specialty at a lovely little outdoor restaurant on a balmy summer evening: Deep fried squash blossoms filled with a spicy curd smiley - drool

smiley - pirate

Post 32

Many years ago, I made fried pumpkin blossoms filled with blue cheese and sage filling.

Post 33

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

If we end up planting too many zucchini plants again (unmarked hills, 'cause I had them in my head, replanted after the smiley - dog and smiley - chick got in and dug up and ate seeds... OK, just smiley - chick on the eating part, and replanted by someone else) I may just have to do squash blossoms to keep from getting garbage bags full of squash...

Post 34

I think it may have been just a good year for zucchinis. The 41st and 42nd zucchinis are presently growing to full size. The plants will not produce any more.

Post 35

ITIWBS

Don't be too sure.

Sometimes the go back into production after a rest phase.

Wish I could get a good zucchini crop.

I get at most 1 or two per plant in the season between spring equinox and summer solstice and 2 out 3 plants refuse to bear.

Melons and cucumbers do fine, though, in the summer heat.

Post 36

I managed to get a good crop by drowning a couple of plants in liquid fertilizer.

Post 37

You can call me TC

I don't think we did much other than water them. We have very sandy soil. This year I think we used bought seeds, but we have taken plants which sprung up of their own accord from the seeds in courgettes thrown into the composter the year before. As we do potatoes. They grow out of the peelings we dispose of.

Post 38

ITIWBS

Ah!

This is where I should have posted the commentary on the giant zucchini I mistakenly posted to 42 word posts.

The editing controls on this device being crude and primitive, I'm not at this time going to attempt to cut and paste to this thread.

Where did I leave off.

Squashes are notably saprophytic, like a LOT of absorbable organics in their soil.

If you give them a fish, native American style, about six inches below their roots if you're using pre-germinated starts, or even a rabbit, or that whole chicken in a can that's been on the shelf too long, they will reward you.

I'm not surprised you're getting good results with liquid fertilizer.

I usually use a liquid fertiliizer derived from fish waste from the Alaskan fisheries, or bat guano, sometimes available locally.

Post 39

The soil is so terrible that it' hard to get enough solid fertilizer into it to get good results. That's why the liquid stuff comes in handy.

Key: Complain about this post