This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

MJy Dad and the emergency room

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Yesterday morning I drove out to my father's house to help him with errand and catch a bite of lunch. When I got there, I saw a Subaru in the driveway. My sister drives a Subaru, so I was afraid that my Dad had taken ill and she had been summoned.

But, no, the Subaru belonged to Jack, a friend of my father who had received a phone message that my father had been taken to the emergency room in the hospital. I rushed over to the hospital. When I got there and inquired about my father's condition, then nurse said he was waiting in the emergency room for me to take him home. After that, the day was more or less normal. smiley - smiley

Post 2

Deb

Glad the story ended well smiley - smiley

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 3

As far as I know, he's till okay now.

Post 4

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Good smiley - smiley

smiley - pirate

Post 5

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Phew! slap his hand for worrying you

Post 6

I'd like to slap his hand for being polite to the telemarketers on the phone smiley - steam.

Post 7

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

argh!

I've just warned my mam today about the latest scams they are doing here

Post 8

I don't know what it is about advanced age and gullibility.

Post 9

smiley - winkeyeI'll let you know next monthsmiley - biggrinI'll be a legal pensioner thensmiley - wahsmiley - wah

Post 10

Will you be retiring?

Post 11

smiley - winkeyeI retired in 1986smiley - sadfaceafter getting made redundant, my shape/age etc had no chance of employment after, plus I became a single parent same year, of my 2 kids

Post 12

sorry! NOT same year, 23 year agosmiley - doh

Post 13

You can call me TC

My mother at 95 is polite but quite firm with telemarketers. She tells them it's not worth it at her age.

Post 14

smiley - sigh

I wish I could persuade my father to tell them that.

Post 15

Reality Manipulator

It's good to hear that your Dad is okay.smiley - ok

Telemarketers are a real pain and a lot of the time I can barely understand what they are saying over the phone due to the phone calls coming from abroad. Tips I have heard is to blow whistle over the telephone call, put the phone down and do something else. Legislation has been passed in the UK but it only covers call centres based in the UK. A new law has been passed but it puts the responsibility of the one receiving phone call to ask them take their name off their register (but if you are having problems getting them to understand you and how do you know that they will do it.) You also supposed to find their phone number from your landline phone and also check from your phone company, if your ex-dir3ectory. But if you are ex-directory like I am, it will not stop telemarketing calls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31616523

Post 16

F1926355?thread=5478302

maybe print off for your dadsmiley - smiley

Post 17

ITIWBS

Whenever there's an increase in the telespam Nd related trouble, an increasr in world terrorism always follows.

Post 18

Those are great tips, Prof smiley - ok

I read in another thread that you can also try to act like *you* are the telemarketer, *you* made the call and now *you* try to sell something.
This confuses any telemarketer big time and if you succeed in doing it right it can be a lot of fun smiley - biggrin

But I pity the people, who have to take jobs as telemarketers. It can't be fun p*$$*ng off people for several hours every day.

So I just say "not interested, you're waisting your time" and then I hang up. Not very polite, but I'm saving both their time and mine.

smiley - pirate

Post 19

"Not interested" is *exactly* what I say. But I'm not my father. He knows quite well that he can get on a "don't call" list, but he has never taken steps to get on it.

Post 20

As should I, but I've been procrastinating it for years smiley - blush

smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more