This is the Message Centre for Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

Just noting down thoughts for my book

Post 1

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

I have the current version of my book sat on my computer.

I also have a bunch of things I need to change about it: characters mainly ,and their stories.

I also need to do a detailed breakdown of each chapter so that I have a record of what happens where than I can refer to easily. Which will require reading what I have written :/

Then I need to merge in the changes I want to make into that outline to make sure that they all fit in sensible places.

Then I can start re-writing it and honing it all.

Getting that straight in my head took far too long (months). Now I have a plan!

Post 2

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Oooh. Interesting.

You're a programmer, aren't you? Are you storing your book in a git repo?

TRiG.smiley - geek

Post 3

I'm not a programmer, and no git repo's either (sorry to disappoint :P).

It's all backed up using spideroak, who I've been pretty impressed with really.

Post 4

myk

smiley - run "spideroak" please G**gle!?

btw i sent a story i had written to a long lost writer friend of mine and (apart from sending back an email ripping me to shreds for sending him an unfinished manuscript to read, it's apparently the height of bad manners - he still read it all though smiley - smiley just wouldn't comment on it apart form saying he: "wasn't my old English teacher and wasn't going to correct my bad spelling or grammar" etc.. he did also offer encouragement after he had dressed me down smiley - smiley ) he said to me:
"anything worth writing usually consisted of three total rewrites...".

So you sound like you have the 'write' stuff when it comes to your writing. Goodluck with it all! smiley - smiley

Post 5

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

smiley - groan

That was terrible skywalker :S

Write on MP, I'm not up (read, capable of) for content editing but would be very happy to do a grammar and spelling check as a beta reader once you're done, if you want another one smiley - smiley

Post 6

Well the prologue and first chapter are up on new blog, but I think that's all I will publicly post online - too easy for people to nick it otherwise.

http://the-writing-penguin.tumblr.com/post/93670764071/prologue

http://the-writing-penguin.tumblr.com/post/93694351201/chapter-1

A couple of people on twitter have already given some feedback which is what I am going to work on now, hoping it won't take long! But I'm not going to say what they commented on in-case anyone in here reads it.smiley - smiley

If it ever gets to a state where I need feedback on the whole thing (writing is hard :P) I'll probably send it via email to people. So yes, will definitely need proof-readers at some point smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more