A Conversation for Ann Arbor Hash Bash

A538788 - Ann Arbor Hash Bash

Post 1

Deidzoeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A538788

Any suggestions on how this entry might be modified or revised before submitting it for Peer Review?

I'm not writing this post to be controversial. It's a real event that happens every year, and it's fun to attend even for those of us who don't smoke.

Thanks.

Post 2

xyroth

whot, no hash cakes? smiley - silly

Post 3

Deidzoeb

No, but as an odd coincidence, the first edited guide entry you will currently find when you search for keyword "hash" will be "Waffle House Restaurants," the only one of mine accepted in the edited guide so far.

Post 4

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

I enjoyed this entry, actually. There's not much that needs to be done to it, in my opinion - but I'd wait for more people to post and get their ideas as well.

Can you flesh out the description of 'Hash Bash' a little better? Let me see... for one hour, speakers hold the stage. Then a drum circle forms, and sweaty people dance around. Is there any music? What kind of variety of speakers have shown up in the past? You might want to mention who Tommy Chong is, for the benefit of anybody who hasn't seen a Cheech & Chong movie. How about the knick-knacks? Do they just sell pipes, or can you get the usual hippie accoutrement? (like henna, fimo clay beads, incense burners, wooden drums & shakers, tie-dye clothing, etc.)

One typo: "Some drummers where robes and dress..." should be "Some drummers wear robes and dresses..." A lot of people now are wearing the wrap-around sarongs, either around their waist like a towel, or wrapping it Indian style into a pair of pants. (I'm not sure how they do it, but somehow it gets wrapped around the waist, and one end goes between the legs and gets tucked into the waistband at the back.)

If you don't get many more responses, I would recommend posting to Peer Review (unless this was moved from Peer Review!) and see what happens.

Post 5

Sam

This entry's fine smiley - smiley Any additional info that will heighten our sense of actually 'being there' at the Hash Bash would benefit this entry a lot. Nonetheless, I agree with the previous posting; if no more info's forthcoming it should still be sent to Peer Review.

One other thing - for years I've been singing to myself the following:

"I've been talkin' to ma mother
And she teach me how to live
(Boom chagga boom chagga boom chagga boom)
But she don't teach me nothin'
'Coz ma head is like a sieve"

Is it to Cheech or to Chong that I should pay my respects for this astute lyrical observation?

Post 6

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

It looks like the author might have added some more "local color" since the last comment, because I certainly didn't notice any shortage of travel info.

This looks like the sort of travel guide that only the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy could hope to make public. I think it would be an excellent addition to the edited Guide.

Post 7

Deidzoeb

Thanks, Sam. I'm not enough of a Cheech & Chong afficianado to give you a definite answer on who sang that quote. However, if you can imagine the voice in your mind, usually Cheech Marin spoke with a heavier Spanish accent, while Tommy Chong spoke like a dazed California hippy with little or no accent.

Post 8

Deidzoeb

Lentilla,

Thanks for your comments. I need to give a better idea of what else happens at the Hash Bash, examples of past speakers, etc.

Post 9

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Commandante?

Post 10

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Sam: I think that was Cheech Marin who sang that... 'Up In Smoke,' I believe.

Post 11

Deidzoeb

Any of y'all still subscribed to this thread? I made a few minor changes to the entry and submitted it to Peer Review finally. Honestly, I spent an hour searching the web for history of the Ann Arbor Hash Bash to find what other bands or speakers have been featured, but came up empty. I tried to point this out more clearly in the entry, joking about the "bad memory" of people who attend the hash bash, bump bump nudge, guess why their memory is bad. Even the "official" Hash Bash website is not worth linking to, simply a few hundred words announcing the date of the next Hash Bash and an email address to send info to the organizers. http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F48874?thread=163315

Post 12

Deidzoeb

Oops. That link will send you to the Peer Review thread discussion of this entry. If you think it still needs more work, click yonder and shout about it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F48874?thread=163315

Thread Moved

Post 13

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review Sin Bin' to 'Ann Arbor Hash Bash'.

Back to Entry - became Edited Entry A693939 The Ann Arbor Hash Bash, Michigan, USA

Key: Complain about this post