This is the Message Centre for 2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

as the cold approaches...

Post 1

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

So too, does, now, a pair of leather trousers, and a fur stole smiley - brrsmiley - zen taht's a second hand/antique stole, fox fur I think smiley - zen hope the leather trousers fit smiley - divasmiley - evilgrin
Just cooked mushroom risotto for W and I. Must shower soon, after a cuppa tea smiley - teasmiley - zen

Post 2

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I've always wondered, what are leather trousers like, in the cold? Do they keep the warmth in? Or are they like jeans, which look like the thick material would do good, but leave you cold to the bone?
smiley - towel

Post 3

I'm hoping they'll keep warm smiley - brr - oddl I find jeans both really comfortable to wear and warm too smiley - weirdsmiley - alienfrown

They're partially lined leather trousers, so I guess oughta be warm; I know people who ride motorbikes say they're good to keep ones legs warm smiley - grovelsmiley - brr

was odd yesterday, walking out, adn my hands got cold... and... so painful from the temp drop just a degree or so smiley - brr damn neuropathy smiley - doh Problem is of course if I wear gloves then I can't feel much or anything through them smiley - doh its bad enough having to waer surgical gloves in teh house, to do cleaning work with various caustic fluids but I can kinda feel through the surgical gloves a bit, at least smiley - grovel

Post 4

dragonqueen - eternally free and forever untamed - insomniac extraordinaire - proprietrix of a bullwhip, badger button and (partly) of a thoroughly used sub with a purple collar. Matron of Honour.

Leather trousers under a fur coat will keep you warm. That was my favourite outfit back in the days when I had a fur coat.

smiley - dragon

Post 5

maybe I should buy a fur coat... especialy if ... I dunno I was flying say, somewhere cold in the middle of winter smiley - winkeyesmiley - whistlesmiley - drool

Post 6

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

smiley - eureka I *knew* there was a reason smiley - badgersmiley - badger wear fur coats smiley - zen

smiley - pirate

Post 7

Leather trousers arrived! smiley - wow they're gorgeous soft leather, great condtion, even have useful pockets, and sensible sized loops for belt... only smiley - wah - that is an extemely small size 14 and no way will it fit me ... ever smiley - crysmiley - wahsmiley - wahsmiley - wahsmiley - wahsmiley - wah So, William's now got a pair of leather trousers smiley - biggrin and ... I shall continue my search for a pair maybe try get a size 16 next time see if tehy'll fit smiley - grrsmiley - doh

must start looking for a fur coat too I guess, but, the wool one I've got is pretty warm actually, maybe that'll do, with the fur stole to put round and keep my neck warm... - turns out, having uncovered the nape of my neck, for the first time since I was about 13 years old; my neck feels really cold now when out smiley - laugh

Post 8

KB

I only really use waist circumference as a measure of trousers. In inches for some reason. smiley - huh

What does size 12 actually mean? I don't understand things like dress sizes and shoe sizes. They seem like arbitrarily chosen numbers.

Post 9

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

That's because they pretty much are...

Post 10

KB

I know what you mean. smiley - laugh But there must be some kind of system to it. That's not to say that all clothes are what they say they are, but there must be some kind of logic to it. Otherwise people wouldn't say things like "I'm down to a size x now after dieting".

Post 11

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

The labels with washing instructions sewed to garments now come in every European language and with all the different measurements known to this universe.

This means they are now way bigger than for example modern ladies undergarments. In fact you could easily sew 42 panties out of them

smiley - pirate

Post 12

You can call me TC

They would be very very scratchy.

My father was what he jokingly called "a traveller in ladies' clothing".

Normally the samples for the season were delivered in size 12, which is about a 34" bust size, I've forgotten the waist and hips that go with that (or were considered to go with it in the 60s,) but it was probably about 34 - 30 - 34/36.

However, because my mother and I (around puberty at the time) were slightly more "normal" and a size 14, he had his samples in size 14, so that we could (a) try the dresses on when he got them so he could see what they looked like with a person inside them, and (b) keep a couple for after the season's shows were over.

Size 14 was therefore about a 36" bust size, with the equivalent waist and hips and possibly with an inch or so more length. Which my father would have approved of, because, being the 60s, the dresses were SHORT, and what father would have wanted his daughter to go around in short dresses with hems around their a**e.

I think clothing sizes have been reviewed a few times since then.

According to this site:
http://www.asknumbers.com/ClothingWomensConversion.aspx

A UK size 12 these days would be bust 36" - waist 38" - hips 39"

To convert US to UK sizes, add 2. So a US 8 = UK 10, a US 14 = UK 16.

Post 13

ITIWBS

smiley - biggrinGood material there for a guide entry, TC.

Do you have anything on Chinese clothing and shoe sizes?

I've a distinct impression they use a unisex standard, especially for shoe sizes.smiley - smiley

Post 14

well. the difficulty is with actual measured size, versa given size, of garment, and the two never matching smiley - laugh

Nominally I'm a 42 inch chest (underbust), but can't fit into anything less than a 48 to 4 50 inch chest size, for say a blouse etc smiley - blush - nominally a UK size 22 to 24.
- yet, I've tops that are a size 16, that fit as well/as roomy as some tops that are a size 22 or 24 smiley - laugh

I've trousers (female), that are 12, 14 and 16, which can be either about the same size as each other (and fit), or way too tight and not fit, or too lose and hence don't fit smiley - huhsmiley - erm
with a tapemeasure I'm now smiley - cry a 36" waist (was heading under 30" before I got cancer), yet, some 32" jeans fit me. some 32" jeans don't fit me. some 34" jeans fit, some don't, and some 36" waist trousers are too big smiley - huhsmiley - erm - yeh, I've tried with a differnt tape measure, and with W doing the measuring too... smiley - huh its... .so random smiley - laugh

new leahter jeans, are, therefore, of course, too damn loose smiley - huh yet, their wast size was given as inchs, as well as its female size smiley - ermsmiley - huh - gona just give up at this point, and regain my sewing skills instead; gona slightly alter the leather trousers, as otherwise, they're damn fabulus smiley - drool was wearing them today, with a belt to make them tight neough; but that was a wee bit uncomfy, as they don't have any damn belt loops smiley - huh ,wa smiley - wah

Post 15

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Man, I've given up on *ever* finding what my measurements are (and don't even go there with the 'proper' bra size smiley - biggrin)

smiley - musicalnoteShe's a perfect 10, but she wears a twelvesmiley - musicalnote

Man, well that depends on whether you are shopping at M&S, Oasis, BHS, Evans etc...ad infinitum.

Four years ago, I found one my son's t-shirt's that no longer fit him. I wore it to work. It was 'aged' 4-5.

It still makes me laugh that I was 45 at the time.

I'm only 4' 11", mind smiley - winkeye

Post 16

Deb

I just ordered a waterproof coat from a reputable outdoor clothing retailer. Following their sizing charts I should have ordered 2XL but I thought "Sod that, I've lost 2½ stone, I'm going for the large". It arrived today - perfect fit, even accounting for room to wear a chunky jumper under it.

UK sizings are just bizarre.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 17

smiley - wowsmiley - envy well done on the weight loss smiley - wah - I put on circa 2 stone during chemo, so need to try lose that (tricky now I@m on the steroids) smiley - blush - luckily I was at my lowesto weight, since oo probalby the age of 17, just before I got gidgnosed and started the chemo etc smiley - grovel - I still refuse to accept any of my weight loss, back then was due to a cancer inside me... - nah, that was all my amazing will-power, I didn't have a helping hand in loosing weight because of the cancer smiley - laugh yeh... right... smiley - snork - still disapoited I didn't losew weight on the chemo... I thought that was ment to be one of the perks of treatment smiley - snorksmiley - silly

glad its not only me, that finds the sizing thing just.... so screwy! smiley - laugh another size 24 top arrived today... - good job I like really baggy smiley - laugh gorgeous matterial though smiley - drool long enough to be a tunic/dress or a top I guess smiley - diva

Key: Complain about this post