This is the Message Centre for Willem

Riddles

Post 1

Willem

I'm a great fan of riddles! I've recently discovered a nice riddle site, Braingle. Here are two riddles ... see if you can solve them!

1. This word begins with e and ends with e, but there's only one letter in it!

2. A donkey follows a donkey, I follow that donkey, and a whole nation follows me. We form a word that means a murder.

More riddles here: http://www.braingle.com/brainteasers/category.php?category=Riddle&fields=&value=&unrated=0&order=1&dir=0&start=0

Riddles

Post 2

Websailor

Willem, I might try some of these out on PHM. I'm useless smiley - rofl

Websailor smiley - dragon

Riddles

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl

2. is 'assassination', but I'm stumped by the first one.

Riddles

Post 4

Malabarista - now with added pony

Try this one, I got it off one of the guides yesterday.

I just went into a shop to inquire about prices. One would cost me £2, ten would cost me £4, and one hundred would cost me £6. What am I buying?

Riddles

Post 5

Elektragheorgheni

I can´t believe it, I think the first one´s answer is eye. But I hadn´t a clue about the other one Willem. Thanks. I´m sorry I missed that a cat of yours went over the rainbow bridge. smiley - hug

Riddles

Post 6

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I think the first one is 'epistle', but I can see how you got 'eye'!

Riddles

Post 7

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

The first one is envelope, though it could contain an epistlesmiley - winkeye

Riddles

Post 8

Willem

Heh heh! Amy is right and so is Dmitri! 'Epistle' could also work!

Malabarista, I'm thinking you're buying those big metal numbers to put on your house to show its address. Your address is number 100. It costs 2 pounds per number. You first buy a 1 - for 2 pounds, next you buy a 0 for another 2 pounds, now you have 10; last you buy another 0 for another 2 pounds, now you have 100.

Riddles

Post 9

Willem

Two more.

1. Which number, written out as a word, has no repeated letters, and all the vowels - a, e, i, o, u?

2. Thirty men, with ladies two,
Stand around with nothing to do.
Dressed in formal, black and white,
Yet when they move it starts a fight.

Riddles

Post 10

Mistdancer-X-sporadically coherent

2. Thirty men, with ladies two,
Stand around with nothing to do.
Dressed in formal, black and white,
Yet when they move it starts a fight.

That's a chessboard and pieces

Riddles

Post 11

Willem

You're right Mistdancer! Great to see you here by the way!

Riddles

Post 12

Ottox

Which number, written out as a word, has no repeated letters, and all the vowels - a, e, i, o, u?

Five thousand

(If I've counted correct, there are only sixten numbers in the english language with no repeated letters)

Riddles

Post 13

Willem

You're right Ottox! And I think you're right as well about there being only 16 numbers with no repeated letters.

So to anyone else here ... what numbers are they?

Riddles

Post 14

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

One, two, four, five,
six, eight, ten, forty,
forty-six, sixty, sixty-one,
sixty-four, eighty, eighty-four, five thousand...

(Array of 4x4)

All the -illions are out, and I went in groups up to one million, and I couldn't come up with any more. So it looks right...

Riddles

Post 15

Willem

I've the same one you got Amy!

Isn't there a riddle thread on h2g2 somewhere?

Riddles

Post 16

ITIWBS

...in the city beneath the sea,

where things are mirrored in strange and marvelous ways,

the God of Folly shields this visage from the public gaze..

Riddles

Post 17

ITIWBS

http://www.h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/brunel/F19585?thread=3376332&post=110866935#p110866935

Riddles

Post 18

Willem

Hi ITIWBS! I'll think on that one. The link doesn't work though!

Riddles

Post 19

ITIWBS

Have you tried in in Brunel?

Internal links (within h2g2) don't usually work in Pliny (the blue screen) but usually do in Brunel, which you can find under 'Preferences' on the front page.

Hitting the front page button will always put you back into Pliny.

On the PC, once I'm in to Brunel, I simply drag and drop the URL bar header to home button, which will then put you into Brunel.

If you want to make some other use of the home button, its easily changed back again by the same drag and drop technique.

Key: Complain about this post