This is the Message Centre for ~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Has something happened to Effers?

Post 21

swl

eh? What?

smiley - rose

Post 22

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

smiley - rose

I can't think of any words... I'm sure Effers would appreciate the irony of that.

Post 23

Icy North

Sorry to hear of Effers' passing, and condolences to her online friends here smiley - candle

I just read what I believe was her last post here, at Halloween: F59446?thread=8293352#pi16

Post 24

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - towel
Thanks for that memory jog Icy.
I think that may well have been her last post.
smiley - snowdrop
~jwf~

Post 25

Orcus

Oh dear smiley - cry

I had many a sparring match with Effers/RedPeckam but I was very fond of her here. I wondered where she had gone.

Whose going to argue with me about Tim Henman/Andy Murray now? I never did get to say. Naaah naaah na naaa naaaah. To her after the US open last year smiley - winkeye

And I am going to use smileys as I think we both enjoyed irritating one another a little. smiley - evilgrin

Very sad news, don't get me wrong.

Post 26

anhaga

Oh, dear. I seem to arrived late to the wake.smiley - erm

Effers and I were in regular contact for the last six months of her life and I kept ~jwf~ up to date on the ups and downs of her illness.

Effers was always very clear to me that she did not want her illness and her impending doom made known her due to lingering bad feelings about some of the incidents which are better forgotten. But I always felt that when the time came, some mention would have to be made here. I tried over the course of her final days when communication was difficult to get some instruction from her about what she wanted, but, sadly, never got anything clear. A friend who was with Effers in her final days (who knew nothing of Effers' online existence), however, suggested that ~jwf~ and I would probably be the best judges of how to go about it and we agreed on the tag lines and a short note that ~jwf~ is working on.

While Effers had bad memories of hootoo, I have very good memories of her both here and in the many conversations we had by other means. We shared stories of road trips -- she managed to make a few despite her illness. And at one point she was making hopeful plans for a Canadian road trip this year, culminating in joining my Canada Day tailgate party July 1. Now she will be joining me as my memories of her.

She sent me a few photos, seascapes, from her last trips to the seaside and shortly before the end, I asked and was given permission to use one as the basis of a painting for an upcoming show. As I type this I am looking down at the blank white canvas. I think I'll start on it tomorrow.

I'm convinced, and I think Effers was, too, that our only immortality is in the memories others have of us.

Please try to hold good memories of Effers.

oops. I hope I haven't stolen your thunder, ~ jwf ~ .smiley - smiley

BTW: I've given Taff the news.

Post 27

Geggs

smiley - candle

Post 28

smiley - smiley

Looking at this video I was reminded of how much Effers
loved the idea of British-ness and British culture and
cultural assimilation.

She was also of course an artist and loved the idea of
public art and performance art.

I dare not say she would have loved this. But I do,
and I hope her welcome into heaven was nothing less:

http://youtu.be/Ztr3ni5OKTc

smiley - flyhismiley - crysmiley - flyhi
~jwf~

Post 29

For those who opened Clive's photo file of Effers
I offer this Spanish equivalent which has taken on
viral proportions in other contexts:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ph.cdn.photos.upi.com/collection/es/upi_cl/6298/a048e459092a3e7b38161729d22ecd42/Marcha-Cultiva-tus-Derechos-Global-Marihuana-March_1_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://espanol.upi.com/Fotos/Noticias/Marcha-Cultiva-tus-Derechos-Global-Marihuana-March/6298/&h=400&w=600&sz=21&tbnid=X67nEHwLrkFr9M:&tbnh=70&tbnw=105&zoom=1&usg=__ofdUDFy-WFXG_UGoSVHwaJJPHtQ=&docid=YkDb2LjbT_NPsM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=10fvUIrtJs3h0wHP7YCYDw&ved=0CGEQ9QEwBQ&dur=415

smiley - yikes
Crikey! That's a monstrous URL.
Here's a shorter one:
http://espanol.upi.com/Fotos/Noticias/Marcha-Cultiva-tus-Derechos-Global-Marihuana-March/6298/
smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Post 30

It just occurred to me that this thread
has had no link to Effers homepage.
U1508701
Her journals are always interesting.

smiley - angel
~jwf~

Post 31

Dogster

Terribly sad and unexpected news - I didn't even know she was ill.

We went back and forth from wild agreement to wild disagreement here on h2g2, but it was always lively and interesting. I will miss her.

Post 32

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

smiley - rose

Post 33

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Squiggles, I really think that considering how upset Effers was by the eyes bug causing deceased Researchers to appear online we should avoid visiting her U-page out of respect for that.

Post 34

clare

I think that the best way to show respect for Effers is to fix the problem that bugged her smiley - biggrin

Post 35

logicus tracticus philosophicus

Squiggles, I really think that considering how upset Effers was by the eyes bug causing deceased Researchers to appear online we should avoid visiting her U-page out of respect for that....

Perhaps the open eyes could be replaced by another symbol (smiley is mot the word to use in these circumstance)
Perhaps one eye open the other closed, coz lets face it effers and the like of will always be here in spirit, if not in person through there threads and pages....

Post 36

astrolog

Past but not forgot! smiley - wizard

Post 37

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

smiley - rose

Post 38

Xanatic

smiley - rose

Post 39

Deb

I've wondered occassionally what happened to Effers, and am very sad to hear of her illness & death.

I got the impression that Effers was quite a troubled soul, battling constantly with her demons. But she also came across as fiercely passionate about what she believed in, very proud of her little corner of multi-cultural England, and very interesting. She wrote some great entries for NaJoPoMo 2011, about Russian forests & sleeping in a tent in her garden - in November! We had a couple of direct conversations during the course of that month.

I'll end with a smiley - snork. That smiley always makes me think of Effers, every time I see it, and I have no idea why. I hope it doesn't come across as disrespectful in this thread, it's meant as a farewell nod to a big character.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 40

Elentari

I've just seen the news.

I didn't come across Effers too much but I'm sad to hear of her passing.

We seem to be losing hootooers at an alarming rate over the last couple years. It's distressing.

Key: Complain about this post