A Conversation for Recorders

Great to see this on the fp again

Post 1

Vestboy

Why did I never learn an instrument when I was young?
My parents couldn't afford a violin so I understand that - but a recorder!?
I only want to play simple tunes, I don't want to be a concert performer. Do you think I could learn?

Post 2

Malabarista - now with added pony

Sure, why not? You don't even have to be able to read music to play a recorder - most folk musicians play by ear anyway! smiley - goodluck Depending on the size of your fingers, you might find it easier to start with an alto rather than a soprano recorder, though.

(I can barely finger my sopranino, because my hands are relatively big. Tried out a friend's bass one recently, though, and found my fingers sliding through the holes! smiley - doh I suppose the bass one really is just for men smiley - laugh)

I'd love to get some practice in again, but the dog always howls along with most instruments smiley - groan

Post 3

Vestboy

Thanks for the encouragement. I think something with bigger finger holes would be better for me.

My son stopped playing the trumpet before the dog arrived so i don't know if she'd want to sing along smiley - biggrin

Post 4

Things like clarinet and violin are worst, but ours also objects to recorders, accordions, and even the piano! smiley - doh

I bought a very nice set of recorders - from sopranino to tenor - on eBay, but if you're looking for an instrument, going into a shop and asking for advice and maybe trying a few different ones is usually the best course of action. If you don't want to teach yourself, they can usually also recommend a good place for lessons smiley - smiley

It's never too late, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

(And for another tip - if you can juggle, I find a few minutes of simple three-ball patterns before playing limbers up the fingers nicely smiley - laugh)

Post 5

Vestboy

I can juggle as it happens (with 3 balls).
My friend's daughter is into circus skills and came across the juggling champion (national I think) who can juggle 9!

Post 6

smiley - biggrinsmiley - wow

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

A506387

If you have big fingers you should perhaps start with the Alto (also known as Treble). Brian Bonsor does a good book for complete beginners on Alto. (Enjoy the Recorder). My guide (link above) is for soprano but can be used with a bit of thought on an alto.

Post 8

Vestboy

I'll need to get the wallet out.
What sort of money do you think I should be prepared to spend?

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

Well Yamaha make a plastic alto which is available in England for £24. Where are you?

Post 10

I paid about 100€ for the set of four (wooden) ones on eBay, but that was an extremely good deal.

You might be able to find a used recorder, but, as with any other used instrument, make sure it's been vetted by a professional so there are no nasty surprisessmiley - ok

Post 11

Vestboy

Nasty surprises? smiley - erm Like a scorpion in the mouthpiece? smiley - yikessmiley - run
I'm in West London - so finding a shop shouldn't be too difficult.

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

John Myatt http://www.myatt.co.uk/ Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Dawkes http://www.dawkes.co.uk/ Maidenhead, Berkshire
London Recorder Centre 34 Chiltern Street http://www.earlymusicshop.com/More/LondonRecorderCentre.aspx

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

Actually that last one has a Dolmetsch Nova Alto for only £16.

Post 14

Vestboy

I saw one for more than GBP 1,600!
IS there a recorder equivalent of a Stradivarius?

Post 15

Sho - employed again!

It is great to see this again!

I have a set of 4 (sopranino to tenor) which I've had since my schooldays. I can only remember the fingering for the two of them though so maybe I need to get my books out and have another go with the sopranino and treble)

When my daughters started to play the recorder they were amazed at how much I remembered and can still play. in fact I think now is the time to get us all playing together again.

Post 16

Oooh, I'll come join you!

Provided I can get any practice in with this annoying art critic of a dog smiley - winkeye

Post 17

Kittybriton

Vestboy asks "Is there an equivalent of a Stradivarius?"

There certainly is. The Japanese Zen-On company used to make (I'm not sure if they still do) a facsimile of an alto by Pul Bressan, a great 17th-century maker and a facsimile of a soprano (descant) by Stanesby (another great 17th-century maker).

I have one of the altos which produces a truly beautiful tone.

Let me recommend to you (because I am a member) the Yahoo! Recorder Friends group.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/RecorderFriends/

You get lots of encouragement, help with any problems learning the instrument, and musical sources.

Post 18

Vestboy

Thank you! smiley - ok

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

Is there a recorder equivalent of a Strad?

In general, stringed instruments improve with age, but woodwind instruments deteriorate. So there are no ancient instruments which are now prized above all others.

There are modern copies of ancient instruments, which are very nice, and there are a few new models which have been redesigned to iron out some of the faults of the ancient recorders. Mollenhauer make an alto called the "Modern Alto" which costs about £2,000, and plays nicely with a good strong tone over a range of three octaves compared with the normal two. My recorder teacher, who is Ireland's top recorder player, has one.

Post 20

Vestboy

"a good strong tone over a range of three octaves compared with the normal two. My recorder teacher, who is Ireland's top recorder player, has one."
You can read that to mean he only has one octave! smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post