A Conversation for Meteor Showers

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 1

Crystal Butterfly

http://www.h2g2.com/A461134
I am happy with this entry & submit it for Peer Review.
Thank you.
Crystal Butterfly db

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 2

Crystal Butterfly

No comments?

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 3

shrinkwrapped

smiley - yikes Oh, I am sorry! What must you be thinking of us Scouts?

It's a good entry as it stands, but I couldn't help feeling there could be more to it, if it's actually called 'Meteor Showers'. Maybe you should consider calling it "Watching Meteor Showers" (or something better) - or you could (if you don't mind) add a bit more to it... eg. famous meteor showers in history, a link to 'Astronomy for Amateurs' (http://www.h2g2.com/A301870) which has a teeny tiny section on meteors, and perhaps an explanation of stuff like the 'radiant' and stuff?

As I said, it's a great entry as far as it goes, but could possibly be a bit more...

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Could you say which of the various showers are particularly good? I know the one in August is always great, but is it the best of the year?

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 5

Metal Chicken

The one in August is called the Perseids and puts on a reliably good show. You've just missed another good one, the Leonids which peaked last weekend (Nov 17th).
There's more on the Leonids and other astronomical matters at the H2G2 Astronomy Society - http://www.h2g2.com/A413876 , along with enthusiastic amateur astronomers who would, I'm sure, be happy to offer advise with your article.

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 6

Woodpigeon

Thanks Metal Chicken - I have taken a look at the article. It is good, and definitely a worthy entry. I would agree it needs some additional nuggets of information - fast facts. Anyone with ideas about that?

Here's one, (contradict me if I am wrong) but the best time to see meteor showers is after midnight, this is because the side of the earth you are standing on is now turning face-on into the dust cloud (as opposed to the opposite side of it) - a bit like flies hitting the front windscreen of a car.

Also, does anybody know how big a meteor has to be before it qualifies a) as a fireball, or b) as a meteorite, i.e. it hits the ground?

Another one, does anybody know why people are asked to wish upon a falling star? What is the logic for that?

I have also heard that the 2001 Leonids are ones to watch - the moon will be very new, and the dust cloud densities will be very high that time, so it will be a real show to watch.

CR

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 7

Yeliab {h2g2as}

Hi, I'm Nick from the AS(founder (thanks for mentioning above here smiley - smiley )

The article is good thought needs more expanding of points:
smiley - starThe radiant needs to be explained as where, if you drew a line form each meteor, they would meet. Liken it to looking up on a rainy day.
smiley - starMake more of the planning section posibly with a list thing (theres one on my perseids page on my site you can use)
smiley - starPosibly mention photography, the use of an good camera with a long exposure function works superbly.

Nice table of the main showers is good. Cool, hope that helped.

And do pop along to the H2G2 AS and become a member smiley - smiley

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 8

Jimi X

Do pop over to http://www.h2g2.com/A346646 at the h2g2 University of Life it's a project on Meteor Showers. I'd like to
add some of your stuff into that project if you don't mind.

Anyway, please check it out and we'll see what we can do.

Peta has told me that University pages will soon be coming up for approval so signing on there might be the best and fastest way for you meteor stuff to get into the Guide. smiley - smiley

Let me know what you think...

- Jimi X

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 9

Crystal Butterfly

Thanks Jimi!
I'd be proud to be a contributor.
I'll do some more work on the entrysmiley - ok
Crystal Butterfly db

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 10

Martin Harper

The university of life project has come to an end! the entry at http://www.h2g2.com/A480520, including Meteor Showers, is in the guide! This entry is part of it! huzzah!

Which means that this thread will be vapourised or sin-binned. I hope you all enjoyed your peer review, and will come again to play later. And NO, I don't envy you your "official field researcher" badge. Not at all. smiley - crysmiley - blue

Meteors bringe ELEs
myre (scout)

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 11

Crystal Butterfly

I don't understand why my entry went into the "sin-bin".
I didn't copy it, or steal it from anyone else.
I researched it all myself, before I even knew of the University's project.
How can you know when someone else is working on the same thing that you are?

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 12

Martin Harper

Oh sorry - I thought you had contributed to that entry - I didn't see that your name wasn't on the researcher credits smiley - sadface

I do apologise - I screwed up. Let me go reread both while I try and figure out what the best thing to do is...

Once more, sorry... smiley - sadface

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 13

Martin Harper

I've dropped a line on Jimi's page (he was the researcher on the edited meteor entry) - at http://www.h2g2.com/F18505?thread=93488 - so we can all three decide what happens to this entry once he's read it... Dang - things get complicated too easily... :-(

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 14

Jimi X

I just heard from Mark and he tells me there was a clerical goof up with this entry. Crystal Butterfly should be getting a Researcher credit for the entry on Meteor Showers that went into the Edited Guide as part of the University project a few days ago.

The Powers reckoned that this entry and the other one working through the University were the same one and that's how everything got all fouled up. smiley - erm

But he said they're going to get it all straightened out and that should be that! smiley - smiley

Until the University gets on track, I think things like this will happen from time to time as a University Project may sit around for a while and someone else does the same research and writes essentially the same entry. The best bet, I've found, is to use the Search Engine before getting too far into an entry.

A couple of months ago, Joanna and I both wrote entries on Stellar Magnitudes (which is on the front page today). She and I submitted both our pages under the same Peer Review heading - now *that* was confusing! smiley - winkeye

Anna told us in the future to write one entry rather than submitting two as one. And if you do a search and find someone working on a topic you're interested in, you can always suggest a collaboration. Working together is considered a Good Thing here at h2g2! smiley - smiley

Cheers and congratulations on your Edited Entry! smiley - smiley

- Jimi X

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 15

Martin Harper

*phew*
I'm not completely brain dead! yippee!

Congrats, Crystal - and please don't take this as evidence of the failing levels of sanity of the Powers... take them as evidence of excessive alcohol consumption... smiley - ale

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 16

Crystal Butterfly

Oh, you don't know what this means to me!
I just got elected an A.C.E., and to find my latest entry in the "Sin Bin" {which I'd not heard of before} was a great shock!
I'll keep a lookout on my page to see when I get the *contributed to*;
Thank you all, Lucinda, don't worry, these things happen!smiley - hug
A few days ago, I was so upset, I almost deleted the entry...
I am so glad I didn't now!
I will take your advice in future and do a search for the topic of my next entry.
Collaboration would work wonders in this instance!
Asmiley - kissfor you all.

Crystal

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 17

Jimi X

You should have an entry appear under the heading 'My Edited Entries' about Meteor Showers. The A461134 version will remain on your personal space as well. smiley - smiley

Meteor Showers {A461134}

Post 18

Crystal Butterfly

It's there!
And I read the full entry by you as well!
Ooh, this is ~such~ a buzz for me!
I am already thinking on my next entry, but I *will* do a search first!smiley - biggrin

Thread Moved

Post 19

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review Sin Bin' to 'Meteor Showers'.

Back to Entry - became part of Edited Entry A480520 Meteors, Meteorites and Meteor Showers

Key: Complain about this post