This is the Message Centre for You can call me TC

Under siege

Post 1

You can call me TC

We have just skyped with our children to see how the grandchildren are doing.

This weekend both my eldest sons will be hiding in their flats with their families. Son No 1 lives a stone's throw from Levi's Stadium and won't be able to move outside the complex what with the Super Bowl 50 tomorrow and all. They are venturing out for a walk today (Saturday), as they only just got back from Germany this week and need a bit of a leg-stretch, but parking will be difficult anywhere, and the Security is huge.

Son No 2 just got in from the weekend shop and has battened down the hatches as the rest of the Cologne/Bonn area is now out on the streets celebrating Carnival and he has no school till Wednesday. They will not be participating in the "fun", and won't be going far for the next few days either. Especially as Spring is here in great force and the old allergies are playing him up.

Whatever happened to Fasching in the snow? Back in the 70s and 80s we used to have to wrap up really warm and I remember sewing little clown costumes for the boys when they were tiny which had to go over anoraks, thick jumpers and several layers of trousers and tights. There were several parades in the villages around here today, and it was 12 degrees but felt warmer as it was a still wind and bright sunlight.

Under siege

Post 2

KB

Wow, the Super Bowl is tomorrow? That went completely under my radar. If I was still in the US I'd probably hear little else!

How are things in Cologne at the minute? There's been a lot of pretty ugly stuff there of late.

Under siege

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I lived within earshot of Fenway Park in Boston. I had to avoid kenmore Square when pople were arriving for Red Sox games, as there was no chance of going against the tide of bodies.

Under siege

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

(up here we call it Karneval smiley - winkeye )

it was still quite cold and very very windy - so much so that many parades (noteably Düsseldorf, which really got the Kölner laughing) were cancelled. In Köln they didn't allow horses or high banners because of the storm.

There are no reports in the press about anything hugely untoward happening at any of the Karneval celebrations* in and around Köln. However (and i hate how Pegida this sounds) nobody now trusts the press or the police not to cover something up so we aren't too sure.

*I've said it elsewhere so I'll say it here: I am constantly complaining about being groped (to the point of having a bruised bottom and chest) at Karneval over the years. Ever since I got to this area in fact, whether I'm in costume or not. I'm also constantly being told it's "just how it is" - so the "outrage" over what happened in Köln at New Year really leaves me scratching my head.

Under siege

Post 5

Recumbentman

Interesting. It's OK when Germans do it. And as for Italians...

Under siege

Post 6

Cool Old Guy (ex-SockPuppet) Trying not to post for the next 200 days !

Cool old Guy smiley - cogs turning slow
"Perhaps that decency(?) contradiction is why I never understood Carnaval. "

Under siege

Post 7

Speaking of the Italians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du07DOkxHY8

[I love that song!]

Under siege

Post 8

sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du07DOkxHY8

Under siege

Post 9

Recumbentman

"When you pinch me, try to pinch me where there's fat!" smiley - musicalnote

Not sure about her as a role model.

Under siege

Post 10

It's just a song.

I have a CD of the 2003 revival production in which Antonio Banderas plays Guido Contini, the title character. He won a Tony as featured actor in a revival. I'm a huge fan of Banderas. I also enjoyed the movie version, which starred Daniel Day Lewis and Penelope Cruz and Marion Cotillard. I don't believe that any of them are Italian, but acting is acting.

Key: Complain about this post