This is the Message Centre for You can call me TC

Way back when

Post 1

You can call me TC

Starting today, I have found another lunchtime pastime. I have a huge tower of old magazines and I reckoned that if I took one a day to work, and flicked through it, cutting out any interesting recipes or information I might still want to keep, then dropping them in the bin, I could soon dispose of the whole lot.

Don't say - "why don't you just throw them straight in the bin anyway?". I don't work like that.

So, today I am reading a "New Woman" from December 1989.

smiley - smileyWhen Harry Met Sally has just come into the cinemas and Nora Ephron smiley - rose is alive and kicking and everyone's favourite.
smiley - smiley"Rain man" has just come out on video
smiley - smileyDick Francis is still churning out new books
smiley - smileyWas that Carla Bruni in that Helena Rubenstein ad?
smiley - smileyDiana is still "Queen-to-be"
smiley - smileyThe Yorks are still together but definitely not desirable company
smiley - smileyBarry Humphries looked old even then.
smiley - smileyBig hair is still the thing
smiley - smileyCharles Dance is considered sexy smiley - erm
smiley - smileyspace age diets await the slimmers of the 90s

I'm only half way through (spent ages trying to remember the name of the girl in the Giorgio Armani ad - can anyone help? http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/13/12/b3/1312b3125471492c77f596441ad8f18d.jpg

Lunch break is over, so I'll have to carry on down memory lane in my yellowed old magazine tomorrow.

Way back when

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Sounds like a fine idea smiley - ok If that was me I'd also cut out any interesting-looking pictures and use them to cover a wall(s), a la Joe Orton/Ken Halliwell. I did that once or twice; the first time was the entirety of my bathroom. It made taking a bath even more pleasurable than usual smiley - bigeyes

I still have all the pictures, most of them from magazines in the late 70s and early 80s. I really must do it again.

Way back when

Post 3

You can call me TC

I might do that, but I don't have my bathroom to myself.

Way back when

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

That is interesting, to look at magazines and see what they thought at the time they were written.

Recently I read an Ideal Home magazine from 1972 in a bag that had been stashed away in someone's house and forgotten about, and it was fascinating to look at what was fashionable then, what had dated and what still looked quite good - in particular there were one or two room layouts that would be described as Scandinavian trendy now smiley - biggrin

Way back when

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I don't have tower of magazines, but I have a tower of song [with apologies to Leonard Cohen]

Way back when

Post 6

You can call me TC

So - does anyone recognise the girl in the picture? It's on the tip of my tongue. I'm pretty sure she's French. My colleague thought maybe Sophie Marceau..

Way back when

Post 7

Superfrenchie

My first guess was Sophie Marceau, but it doesn't feel quite right. Maybe Carole Bouquet ?

Way back when

Post 8

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"it was fascinating to look at what was fashionable then, what had dated and what still looked quite good" [SashaQ]

I've never been all that interested in fashions, but being a guy I can get away with it, because a lot of the staples of menswear stay popular from one decade to the next. Sometimes there are changes, as when the rules are adjusted to acknowledge reality. Running/walking shoes are now acceptable formal attire. I've been wearing them as Such for as long as I can remember....

Way back when

Post 9

Recumbentman

Did a google image search, and one site came up with the name Pipsa Hurmerinta...

Way back when

Post 10

Recumbentman

Finnish. Possible.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for You can call me TC

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more