This is the Message Centre for You can call me TC

Thanks, Dad

Post 1

You can call me TC

Before I became a Granny, I joined Gransnet. So far, it's not been much help; I've been on the forums mainly, in discussions very similar to h2g2, but with far less discipline and netiquette.

On the occasion of Father's Day someone started a thread celebrating fathers, and what they had taught them.

All I could think of that my father taught me was impatience, hypocrisy, bigotry and general xenophobia. I didn't listen. In fact, we used to laugh about it; my sister and I said we should bring home a really nice black, Welsh, Union-card paying fella just to annoy him.

I didn't post that, so as not to spoil the thread which of course was full of the wonderful things that everyone's Dad had taught them.

He may have taught me to ride a bike, but I would have picked that up anyway, wouldn't I?

I suppose there is something else: As a salesman, he really knew how to talk to people. He did tell us that people don't want to hear about you, they want to talk about themselves. Something that is always good to remember in conversation, I admit.

Well, I'm glad I could get that off my chest here, and not annoy the Grannies with their reminiscing. Thank you.

Thanks, Dad

Post 2

KB

I was pretty lucky, as dads go. All my impatience, hypocracy, bigotry and general xenophobia is my own work.

Actually, I was very lucky. He is one of the most decent human beings I have ever met, and I'm not saying that just because he is my dad.

Thanks, Dad

Post 3

You can call me TC

I maintain that the most important thing a parent can give their children is a good moral grounding and a decent set of values. I'm pretty sure my parents gave me that, despite the above. They are not mutually exclusive.

Thanks, Dad

Post 4

Recumbentman

I just watched my children, and was amazed by them. Still am, and by their children too.

Thanks, Dad

Post 5

I'm not really here

My dad taught me the quick temper and easy forgiveness that gets me into so much trouble. He also taught me arguing is a normal method of communication.

He did teach me to ride a bike, and no, you wouldn't have picked that up on your own, although someone else might have taught you. smiley - hug

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for You can call me TC

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more