This is the Message Centre for You can call me TC

What's on Radio 3

Post 21

You can call me TC

Hmmm - not quite the same. I do remember having a poem read out on Junior Points of View when I was about 10, though. Must have been quite exciting if I still remember it so vividly!

What's on Radio 3

Post 22

Recumbentman

Well, you could never forget that!

What's on Radio 3

Post 23

You can call me TC

Tonight I am listening to a concert on the I-player, as the programme on Radio 3 wasn't conducive to doing homework. I've finished, but I want to hear this to the end. It's Händel's Messiah - as arranged by Mozart. Takes some getting used to, although he didn't change the choral arrangements. Mozart's version includes more instruments. The soprano soloist has an awfully clear and pleasant voice.

All we like sheep smiley - sheepsmiley - sheepsmiley - sheepsmiley - sheepsmiley - blacksheepsmiley - sheepsmiley - sheep at the moment.

What's on Radio 3

Post 24

Gnomon - time to move on

I've always wanted to hear that!

What's on Radio 3

Post 25

You can call me TC

If you're quick it might still be available on the iplayer.

What's on Radio 3

Post 26

Gnomon - time to move on

I didn't think I could use the BBC iplayer because I'm not in the UK.

What's on Radio 3

Post 27

You can call me TC

I use it all the time for radio. It's only TV you can't get outside the UK.

It is particularly good for listening to the programmes whose podcasts are not available outside the UK (which is most of the Radio 3 ones because they contain music, although, as I have said before, it escapes me how "The Early Music Show" could have copyright problems!)

What's on Radio 3

Post 28

You can call me TC

Listening this morning I particularly liked Camille Saint-Saëns Saltarelle op.74

I wonder if it's difficult to sing.

What's on Radio 3

Post 29

You can call me TC

The wonders of the internet. In two clicks from that last post I had downloaded the sheet music for it. Free of charge. Hope S-S doesn't mind. It's for 4 male voices (2 tenor, bariton and bass) It could possibly be transcribed for SATB, and it's a jolly song about dancing and having fun, so no reason why it shouldn't be sung in that combination. The special sound made by an all-male ensemble would be lost, but the music is exciting enough to carry that.

What's on Radio 3

Post 30

You can call me TC

Second last night of the Proms tonight. I am wallowing in Bruckner's 8th. Last night I listened on the iPlayer to a concert of Dowland songs - I think it was a recording from an afternoon concert.

I see they've cooked up a rousing programme for tomorrow.

What's on Radio 3

Post 31

You can call me TC

Proms again. Beethoven's 6th. Like eating chocolatesmiley - choc in the bath, as someone once said.

What's on Radio 3

Post 32

Gnomon - time to move on

Still a lovely piece of music.

What's on Radio 3

Post 33

You can call me TC

That was the impression I was trying to convey!!!! smiley - smiley

Except when you're eating chocolate in the bath you can't sing along, which increases the self-indulgent enjoyment all the more.

What's on Radio 3

Post 34

You can call me TC

Time I revived this thread. A year or so ago I bought a decent Grundig system for the kitchen/dining room. It has Bluetooth so I just have to pull up Radio 3 on what the BBC now call "Sounds" and I can flood the dining room with acceptable quality sound direct from the radio all day.

There have been some lovely concerts and, of course, 4 more lots of Proms since the beginning of this thread.

I especially enjoy the listener participation in the mornings when they play a piece and ask for suggestions of a further piece to accompany it in the playlist. The connection can be simply the same composer, or title of the work or more tenuous, taking ideas from completely unrelated genres such as jazz or swing.

What's on Radio 3

Post 35

Gnomon - time to move on

Sounds interesting!

What's on Radio 3

Post 36

You can call me TC

They just played Berlioz' opera based on Goethe's Damnation of Faust.

I couldn't tear myself away. It is beautiful! I listened on earbuds as it was all it had handy, and had to get undressed and into my nightie without unplugging them, I was so enraptured.

I am untangled and tucked up in bed now, thank you. It finished at 11 pm our time.

Key: Complain about this post