A Conversation for The Top 14 Sights of Istanbul - PR Conversation

Peer Review: A446230 - The Top 14 Sights of Istanbul

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry: The Top 14 Sights of Istanbul - A446230
Author: Gnomon - U151503

The results of my recent trip to the city. The photos linked to are all my own, so the links can be replaced by the actual photos if this is picked.

A446230 - The Top 14 Sights of Istanbul

Post 2

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

I enjoyed this entry, Gnomon. I was confused by the earlier date, but I guess you had removed it from Peer Review at some date? The pictures were very smiley - cool as well. It is nice that we don't have a limit on pictures now.

Post 3

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - wowthis is great, Gnomonsmiley - ok

Love the photos toosmiley - biggrin

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

Post 4

Bluebottle

Yes - very good. I might possibly visit in the next couple of years, so will be reading through thoroughly.

I did notice that you use 'TL' from the start, but don't mention Lira until site 10. Would it be worth having a footnote earlier in the text to explain to visitors what currency is used there?

Will read more soon.

<BB<

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Good point, Bluebottle. I'll add a footnote explaining that TL = Turkish Lira and that at the time of writing 3 TL = 1 Euro.

Post 6

Bengal Tiger

Hi Gnomon

This is a wonderful entry. A very good insight to a city with a rich history. smiley - applause

Post 7

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

A grand tour in all senses of the term. smiley - applause Thoroughly enjoyable.

I appreciated the information on the city's layout, and how the currency works. I wouldn't have known.

Post 8

Leo

Serendipity. Two days before a trip with a stopover in Istanbul. Boring day at work, decide to check out the old stomping grounds. Istanbul entry by Gnomon. smiley - biggrin Tis a good day.

One thing that might be a useful add to the info at the bottom: what's the nearest mass transit stop? You do this for some sights, but not all.

About how long should you give each location? I would really love to see Topaki Palace, but it sounds like it could easily occupy my entire 11-hour stopover. Is it worth jogging in and out, or is that waste? Again, you do this for some sights, but not all.

>>There's a minbar, or ceremonial staircase, in every mosque, but it's worth describing here. The stairs go straight up without a turn. <<

- I first read that as "there's a minibar," which made me do a double take. smiley - biggrin Shouldn't that be italicized, as non-English?

>>although the Turkish merchants are not impressed by the 'I'll give you one tenth of what you are asking' approach that works so well in the Middle East.<<

- So, no hardballing. What works then? Throwing up your hands and talking about your unshod children? Threatening to walk out? Elaborate please.

>>On entering the Bazaar, make a note of which of the 18 numbered gates you came in by. This will make it easier to find your way out. You can always ask for directions.<<

- Big Q: how easy is it to get along without knowing the native tongue? I assume bazaar merchants used to fleecing tourists know enough European languages to get along, but what about the rest of the city?

>>The World would be a very different place without the Walls of Constantinople.<<

- Is "world" a proper noun?

Can you explain the order of the list? It's clearly not geographical, so is it your personal ranking?

>>At night, they attached ropes of leather which they soaked in water. When the sun rose, it dried out the leather, which shrank, hauling up the obelisk by a few inches. The process was repeated night after night until the obelisk was standing upright. <<

- Brilliant! smiley - biggrin Don't you love low-tech, smart solutions?

>>The Serpentine Column is a strange bronze pillar made from three pieces of bronze intertwined. These were three serpents, but the heads of the serpents were knocked off by a drunken Polish nobleman in the 18th Century. <<

- Everyone needs gets their moment of immortality somehow, I suppose.

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, Leo, for such a detailed going-through. It'll probably be tomorrow before I get a chance to deal with these points.

Post 10

Leo

Ah well, no pressure, but my flight is Saturday... smiley - winkeye

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

If you just have a short stay, you'd probably need two hours for the Topkapi Palace and another hour for Hagia Sophia. They're right beside each other and a few hundred metres from the Sultanahmet Mosque and the Hippodrome.

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

All of these are at the Sultanahmet stop on tram line 1.

You'll have no problem communicating if you speak English.

Post 13

Leo

smiley - ok
Thanks, Gnomon.

Quick question: I'm looking around the Pazar-Tekke station for the walls, and not seeing anything obvious. Are they visible when you come out, or can you point in the right walking direction?

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

The walls are about 300 metres to the northwest.

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

I've corrected World to world, italicised minbar and mihrab, and added references to the nearest public transport to each site. Five of the sights are all within an easy walk of Sultanahmet tram stop!

I've added a sentence near the start explaining the ordering of the sights:

"We've ordered them by popularity and importance - the must-see sights are first, and the ones near the end are for those with a bit more time."

I still need to add details of how long a visit to each sight would take, and to explain about haggling and speaking in English.

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

Added a sentence about haggling:

"A certain amount of haggling is expected, although the Turkish merchants are not impressed by the 'I'll give you one tenth of what you are asking' method that works so well in the Middle East. A gentler approach is needed; you might get a 50% discount on the marked prices after some discussion. "

Added a note about being able to get by speaking English to the Practical Details section.

Added visiting times to all the sights.

Just need to add a note now about how close to the centre most of the sights are.

Post 17

Gnomon - time to move on

I've added a comment that most of the sights are within easy walking distance in the centre of the old city.

I think I've now addressed all Leo's concerns. Enjoy the trip!

Post 18

You can call me TC

Careful with visiting times - you may be kept busy updating things!

A great read, even though I don't intend to go there in the foreseeable future.

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

Good point, TC.

When I said "visiting times", I meant the amount of time it would take to see the sight, but I do provide opening hours for at least one of the sights - Hagia Sophia. I wonder would I be better to remove them.

Post 20

Leo

Thanks, Gnomon! smiley - ok
Great entry, and perfect timing.

Key: Complain about this post