This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

NoMoreGnoJoPoMo

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

So, what has been happening in the G household since I finished the daily journal?

I'm still suffering from a bad cold but my voice has recovered. Just as well since I am singing and playing guitar tomorrow for 3 hours in a children's hospital. There'll be other people singing too so all I really need to do is play. Then tomorrow we're singing in the Powerscourt Town Centre in aid of Simon a charity for the homeless.

We're going to London at the weekend to see some shows and have a break. Might do some shopping as well. I really need to start thinking about buying some presents.

NoMoreGnoJoPoMo

Post 2

Recumbentman

Do you ever take a rest and do nothing? It can be fun.

NoMoreGnoJoPoMo

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm also still trying to make sense of the 53-koma system of Turkish Classical Music. I may have to write an entry on it

NoMoreGnoJoPoMo

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm in rehearsals for a choral concert this Friday. It will consist of music by Irish and Scottish composers. As an encore we will sing the words of "O Holy night" to the tune of "Danny Boy" [a.k.a. Londonderry Air]

We had a dress rehearsal yesterday. We'll have another one tomorrow. The concert, as I said, is on Friday.

The composers represented are : Charles Villiers Stanford, Eric Sweeney, and James MacMillan, and compositions from the Irish chamber choir AnĂșna.

Here's a link to the choral society's website:

http://www.dedhamchoral.org/

NoMoreGnoJoPoMo

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Eric Sweeney used to conduct the choir I sing in. And I think he's related to Recumbentman in some wsy.

NoMoreGnoJoPoMo

Post 6

You can call me TC

Small world! smiley - earth

NoMoreGnoJoPoMo

Post 7

I was hoping you would know at least one of the composers whose music we will be singing. smiley - smiley

NoMoreGnoJoPoMo

Post 8

Recumbentman

Eric Sweeney is a close friend -- I was his best man, and he was meant to be mine, but he was off studying in Rome at the time (1969). We were in college together, and though we are not related, we are connected by marriage: his brother married my wife's sister. More to the point, my wife brought together him and his wife, so we have some proprietary feelings.

I'll tell Eric you are doing his piece -- which one is it? -- the Dedham Choral site doesn't say. He'll be thrilled.smiley - smiley

NoMoreGnoJoPoMo

Post 9

Thanks, recumbentman. The concert was last night. We did three pieces by Sweeney:

"Magnificat"
"When Christ was born of Mary free"
"Christ is the World's redeemer."

NoMoreGnoJoPoMo

Post 10

Recumbentman

Excellent. He's coming to dinner next Friday, I'll tell him then.

NoMoreGnoJoPoMo

Post 11

Thanks. smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Gnomon - time to move on

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more