This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

Stars? Green?

Post 21

Gnomon - time to move on

My question was what physical process could cause Zubeneschamali to look green. According to the Bad Astronomy Guy, it could because by rotation.

I don't understand that.

Stars? Green?

Post 22

Baron Grim

You could ask him. He's no longer at Discovery blogs. Now he's blogging on Slate. http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy.html

He's also on Twitter @BadAstronomer.

Stars? Green?

Post 23

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I found this this morning, when I was looking at images of the blood-red moon with a green-tinged side!

>>Prof. Richard Keen, an atmospheric scientist from the University of Colorado explains: "During a lunar eclipse, most of the light illuminating the Moon passes through the stratosphere, and is reddened by scattering. However, light passing through the upper stratosphere penetrates the ozone layer, which absorbs red light and actually makes the passing light ray bluer!" This can be seen, he says, as a turquoise fringe around the red.<<

Stars? Green?

Post 24

Baron Grim

Yep. I see this all the time. Astronauts love taking pics of the Earth's limb especially sunrise/set.

Here's an especially dramatic image.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap951117.html

Stars? Green?

Post 25

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

WOW, that is really an AWESOME pic, Baron.smiley - biggrin

Stars? Green?

Post 26

You can call me TC

If I was rotated really fast, I think I might turn green. smiley - winkeye

Sorry to bring the tone down.

Stars? Green?

Post 27

Gnomon - time to move on

I managed to spot Zubeneschamali last night. At the moment it is easy to find as Saturn is very close to it. It was low down in the sky and dim due to the suburban background light glow, so I couldn't really say what colour it is.

Stars? Green?

Post 28

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - wowwell done!

Stars? Green?

Post 29

ITIWBS

Running through some older listings at the moment.

There was a controversy about this relating to California state school books back in the 1950s with people like Doc Smith, the science fiction writer and Richard Feynman, the physicist, pressing (successfully) for corrections on a mistaken passage in a proposed text book that asserted that were green stars, on the same principles Gnomon cites, that the Guassian distribution of emitted frequencies around a peak emitted frequency in the green range, in the the spectrum of a black body, will make it appear white to the naked eye, given the mechanics of color vision.

Stars? Green?

Post 30

Gnomon - time to move on

My Green Star entry is now on the Front Page! Another one off the presses.

Stars? Green?

Post 31

Baron Grim

I saw that. smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Gnomon - time to move on

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more