This is the Message Centre for Milla, h2g2 Operations

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 1

Milla, h2g2 Operations

*grin*
Or not even that, really, maybe smiley - laugh

I keep feeling that I'm not quite right, or don't quite fit in the world. So I keep reading things, and taking online tests and so on.

One thing has felt really good, looking at MBTI type things. And this one fits me really well: http://www.16personalities.com/infp-personality

But then I also look at Asperger's tendencies. I *know* I'm not severe in any way, if even that. But there are times when I can't seem to communicate what I mean or how I feel to people. So, maybe to a slight degree. Or, it's just normal to feel inadequate at times. But how many times is a significicant number?

And I stumbled across Highly Sensitive Person things - and some of it fits with the INFP thing, others not so much. I do get exhausted from too many people in a crowd, noisy places, noisy places with several conversations at once smiley - headhurts, visual noise (shopping centers with all the colours and impressions and different styles of each shop, for example). So, to some degree, this too. Or not. Maybe I'm just difficult.

Next, I worry about hypothyroidism. Of course. And I wonder how many of the symptoms you should check off before being taken seriously. Half? A third? 75%? http://hypothyroidmom.com/16-signs-you-might-be-hypothyroid-10-tips-to-help/ And of these? http://hypothyroidmom.com/300-hypothyroidism-symptoms-yes-really/
Again, I don't have all the symptoms. Of the ones I would say "YES, that I have" I think most are low grade. And then there's the slow weight gain, that just isn't coming off. Low energy, physical and mental. Depressive/dysthymic. Low heart rate, low body temperature. Memory things - short time and working memory are fine, I took a test. But long term? Lots of things are just gone, and it feels horrible to be reminded, and *still* not remembering.

And if it's the hypothyroidism, perhaps that could explain the HSP? Or is that an aspect of INFP?

One thing is for sure though, I spend too much time inside my head.

smiley - towel

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 2

Cheerful Dragon

Hi Milla

I spotted your post in the Petty Hates thread and thought I'd come over and say hello. I know what you mean about internet hypochondria. I have relapsing-remitting MS (aka 'The Viking Disease' because of its high incidence this far north of the equator), trochanteric bursitis, fibroids and (possibly) osteoarthritis. Every time I have a twinge, feel low or feel unwell I look up my symptoms on the internet. Then I work to convince myself that I have the least worrying illness, not the most worrying. Looking at the symptoms of hyperthyroidism, I can be fairly confident that I don't suffer from it. Yes, I have some of the symptoms, but they are also symptoms of MS. The inability to lose weight I ascribe to the fact that I don't exercise enough - MS is no excuse for that.

I followed the link to the personality test. It came up that I'm an ISTJ (Logistician) personality, which doesn't surprise me. Having said that, I did the Highly Sensitive Person test and I'm probably Highly Sensitive, too. I can relate to your dislike of crowds and noisy places. It's one reason I love internet shopping - I can't cope with the noise and crowds at Christmas. The Grand Bazaar and Spice Bazaar in Istanbul were real tests of mental strength for me.

If you are worried about hyperthyroidism, see your doctor. There are probably tests to confirm or deny it. If you have it, you can get it treated. If not, you'll be able to stop worrying - or find some other illness to worry about.smiley - erm

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 3

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I think I had a TSH test and maybe a T4 test a couple of years ago, but they were "normal". So I'm reluctant...

But in a while I may get around to it again.

Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate your support! And I do hope that your MS keeps away! Nasty thing.

smiley - towel

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 4

Cool Old Guy (ex-SockPuppet) Trying not to post for the next 200 days !

Col old Guy smiley - cogs running smoothly
"Welcome to the club smiley - sadfacesmiley - biggrin

I think by over time everyone will be diagnosed with one mental disorder or another. The last group to be diagnosed is the 'average' syndrome, people so normal, nobody can bear them. smiley - frog"

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 5

Witty Moniker

There was a bit on the news this morning about Highly Sensitive people. The estimate is that 20% of the population is HS. Plenty of company there.

Personally, I've been known to cry after viewing some TV commercials. smiley - brave

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 6

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - hug Milla

I followed that link to the personality test. They tell me I'm an Advocate (INFJ) and they say that's very rare. It seems to fit mostly but not completely.

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 7

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Don't panic! I know exactly what it is! smiley - laugh (please please don't take this seriously..l.) its... whatever I've got right now!"! smiley - laugh every symptoms..... seriously.... smiley - laugh

As goes the TSH/T3/T4 thryoid stuff, I think they're natiously awkward to get a 'good reading', as one persons variation is or can be so much, and then the normal range, between people can be so much... - conversly I got told I do* have hypothyroidism.... err, some weeks or motnhs back... and they've not bothered doing anything smiley - laughsmiley - zen

the noise thing is weird... I get that a lot too now, plus the tearful thinggy for ... rndom no reasonness.... and I doubt its all connected up in some marvelous way smiley - laughsmiley - zen

no one is normal. we nonnormals are* the normals smiley - zen

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 8

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I've had INFJ in other places, and INFP too in still others. I suppose it can depend a little on the questions, and your current mood, and also how strong your traits are. Mine are a bit weak on that axis, but I'm VERY introvert and Very Turbulent (which is a dimension I've not come across before) but makes a lot of sense to me.

Isn't it fun how we're all special snowflakes? smiley - biggrin Lovely company too!

smiley - towel

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 9

You can call me TC

I remember trying to do a Meyers-Briggs test some 20-30 years ago. The questions were very much different to those on that website. I have no idea what I was classified as back then. This one allocated me the type: Defender (ISFJ-A).

The description doesn't fit me at all, but if it did, I would be in a group with the Queen, Samwise Gamgee and Halle Berry. smiley - shrug

Both INFP and ISFJ seem to be keen to look for the good in people.

smiley - hugsmiley - snowball <- sorry, no snowflakes.

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 10

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Since I turn out to be an Advocate (INFJ-A) I advise you to calm down and smiley - dontpanicsmiley - spacesmiley - winkeye

See the smiley - doctor about that thyroid-thingy, though. Better than worrying about it

smiley - pirate

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 11

Willem

Hi Milla! Why not go see a psychiatrist and/or a psychologist? You know I've been diagnosed as Asperger's ... well I am not completely confident about the diagnosis but I do recognize some of the aspects in myself and it gives me something to work with and on.

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 12

SashaQ - happysad

That Myers Briggs website is really good in my case - I'm INTJ, and the descriptions of workplace interactions are so accurate indeed... My partner was INTJ too, and the relationships section is apt - we were so great together, with independence and trust, just as it says.

Fascinating stuff smiley - biggrin

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 13

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I am so lucky to have all you friends smiley - love

Yes, maybe I should see someone about the thyroid at some point...

The rest can wait - I've calmed down since last year's turbulence, and I think I can accept my style/personality/traits even though I can annoy the shoes off myself at times. It's really interesting though!

And I'm glad to learn more about your views and personality codes too, it is more useful than considering myself to be the odd one, and everyone else in a big homogenous group of "normal" (Neurotypical, isn't that the fancy, non-judgmental word?).
Much nicer to feel that we all have quirks and brilliances, and that there's a system to the quirks too smiley - biggrin

smiley - towel

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 14

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Yeah, I feel I belong to a big homogeneous group of normal neurotypical oddballs whenever I am around hootooers smiley - sillysmiley - weirdsmiley - winkeye

You know, the older I get the less I care what others think about me smiley - zen

But while the above may sound very mature and self assured I still care way too much, to be honest smiley - erm

But I'm working on it smiley - smiley

In short: You are not alone smiley - hug

smiley - pirate

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 15

The problem, always, Is, I think, as I was, in fact, explaining only today... that... all these 'diseases', 'conditions', etc., etc., etc., none of them actually exist.
Or, rather the problem is, people who diagnose, and doctors, etc., don't realise that none of these disease/conditions actually exist.
They've..... not often got a real understanding of what doctoring is...
all these names... catogries.... groups, subtypes.... stages... bleh blah blah... its all artifical.... no diese/condition fits... its just a best fit... and the only point to fit, to a box, is, really, for reasons of ... just to know what box to put it in... which box to tic...

its all a lot more fuzzy logic in biology and pathology, than any doctor or medical type would ever want to know/realise... it'd distroy their entire mindset, were they to realise just how many conditions/diseases, arn't even ediffernt from each other... they're just th esame...... but on a differnt point of the fuzzy logic of its given biochemistry or genetics smiley - zen seriously.... this is why docs cna't useually get on well with complicated stuff,,, overlapping stuff.... its... not numerate enough for their binary world view smiley - zen - we're all fuzzy logic you see.... not... binary... or digital.... which... is good; its far more exciting than the alternative smiley - biggrin

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 16

You can call me TC

>>homogeneous group of normal neurotypical oddballs<< smiley - biggrin Thanks! smiley - ta

And 2legs has definitely got something there. Holistic medicine is still far too underrated.

Milla is Hypocondriac

Post 17

My best explation of what I mean, er, partly because its just what I know about, from both personal experience and from my accademic studied, is autoimmunity VS C cancer; they're the same disease. - no one will ever say this, as it isn't the case; but it is so the case; - both are genetic diseases, basically, often sharing a common genetics, if not in the specificity of the gene involved, then in teh gene types involved; in each case, its a failure or disrutpipn of, cell division, and cell death; yet, that* classification isn't used, so they dont' get considered together. - there are plenty of papers, peer rviewed, BTW, supporting connections between increased perpensity to autoimmuniy and certain blood cancers, err, I give myself as an example, as it just happens to be smiley - laugh - but... they will never. ever ever for one moment, consider, that they are, really, basically, at a biochemical genetic level, the same disease... it ... its just too far outside their nice box idea of diesease classification.... smiley - headhurts - the human body sadlyl doesn't read pathoogy textbooks; the human body hasn't me memorised the staging criteria for differnt types of cacner..... - the body doesn't know its got disease X, Y or Z.... smiley - zen - of course, logically, then, there is a state in which, effectively there are no diseases, conditions; only a sliding variability of pathology, of biochemistry, of ..... etc! which... then of course isn't very useful for actually 'treating' 'diseases', and.... yeh, soemtimes the doctors rubbish idea of boxes is useful to get drugs inside that might ... you know.. fix broken stuff smiley - laugh - its all too damn complicated this wet biology stuff - it'd be so much easier if human bodies were more binary and digital smiley - laughsmiley - geek

Key: Complain about this post